Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:15:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which amp to buy to match speakers. (Read 6762 times)
twp
Verified Member

Which amp to buy to match speakers.
09/20/16 at 21:00:41

New here and trying to decide which amp to buy.
I have a pair of Ruark crusader II speakers which I love.
Specs are:
Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 20 khz ±3 dB
Sensibility: 88dB / Watt
Crossover Frequency: 500 Hz; 4 kHz (Precision audio grade components a 15 elements)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Recommended amplifier power: 25 - 100W
Trying to decide if I get the TORII MK4 and spend money on pre amp etc or the ZMA and not use a pre amp.
Also any thoughts on not using a pre amp for either of these.
Will be using it to listen to vinyl(rega p6 turntable and not sure of cartridge yet) and streaming hi res music.
Would love to hear any thoughts for any members,
Thanks

IP Logged
twp
Verified Member

Re: Which amp to buy to match speakers.
Reply #1 - 09/20/16 at 22:07:48

Do you think the Tori Jr would be enough power?
Do you use a pre amp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/20/16 at 22:17:35

My opinion: go for the ZMA. No preamp would be needed. If your source has balanced out, order the amp with balanced inputs. I think with your speakers the ZMA will give you welcome headroom.

I have used five different models of Decware amps without preamps. It's not necessary. They'll work well with preamps for additional sources etc. But the amps do not need one.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
twp
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/20/16 at 22:26:59

Thanks for reply.  Not up on all of the specifice.  What would the balance inputs do?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/20/16 at 22:31:18

Balanced inputs deliver a signal with more voltage, and have noise-canceling characteristics to their build. Delivering more voltage is among the best things a preamp can do, so if there is already lots of volts, a preamp is not as needed.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
twp
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/20/16 at 22:35:42

Thanks, makes sense.

IP Logged
twp
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/20/16 at 23:42:08

What is the difference in sound with a pre amp?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/21/16 at 01:31:24

With vinyl you might want the ZMA.  With my SUT and ZP3 I am at about 1 volt and while I can run directly into my ZMA, I prefer my CSP3 for more umph, more density.  My speakers are 92.5 db eff.  I have a big room to fill though.  

You will never say, "Gee, I wish I had less power."   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 09/21/16 at 02:24:57

twp- late to the game but Archie, Lon have covered it IMHO. I have not heard your speakers, but have heard of them (good things). What scares me is the crossover. Read some of Steve's papers on this site and you should start to get the picture. I had some nice 4 way big kahuna speakers and came really close to getting a MK IV…but what hooked me on Decware sooo long ago was my little 2 watter SET. I went with the Rachael, ZP3 phono and ZMC1 SUT…Lots of juice on the vinyl end of things. The CD…could use some help but it is never for deep listening. My Omega's are 96 dB and do GREAT with this set up. Love Decware SET's but if I was going to go with any other topology….it would also be Decware. We listen to MAGIC every time we turn it on (average usage is 40-60 hours per week). Get the balanced if your whole system can run Balanced, the ZMA will drive your Ruark's into Zen land. Keep us posted, WELCOME to the TRIBE and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #9 - 09/21/16 at 03:41:11

ZMA.

IP Logged
twp
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/21/16 at 05:24:12

Thanks hd.  That certainly opens a can of worms but good to know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print