03/29/24 at 10:35:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5ar4 is buzzing??? (Read 799 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

5ar4 is buzzing???
09/19/16 at 21:14:26

been running a nos mullard metal base 5ar4 in my csp3 for over a year now and love it.  recently i've been hearing an intermittent buzzing emitting from the tube when the music level is down.
doesn't come thru the speakers.
is this baby going out on me?  ok to continue to run it till the end?

i don't have any experience regarding how these eventually fail/wear out.
thks

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: 5ar4 is buzzing???
Reply #1 - 09/20/16 at 04:22:06

Trip,

It is the tube itself, not coming out of the speakers, right? Is it a buzz like an electrical buzz... or might it be a rattle? Rectifier rattle is a known issue that can be fine if you can hack it. I have also read of it being a sign of failure coming, but I usually experienced it with new tubes, so can't say.

I have had rectifiers fail, but not with rattle as a precursor...they just shorted out on startup I think. When mine have shorted, they blew a fuse, without harm to the amp.....

Might google "rectifier rattle" if that is what you think it is.
Good luck!

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/20/16 at 15:52:48

will,

right nothing coming out of speakers.

at first i thought it was the transformer, but if you put your ear right up to the tube, you can tell that's the source.

kinda comes and goes the last few weeks.

i'll put in my black base 5ar4 tonight and see what it does.

and i'll search "rectifier rattle" too.

Thks!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/16 at 02:04:07

yeah put my black base 5ar4 in and all is good no buzz.
must be something going on with my metal base 5ar4...
like i said it doesn't come thru the speakers so i'll probably run it till it quits.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/16 at 19:06:47

Some folks talk about rectifier rattle sometimes coming from loose tube sockets. Does not quite make sense to me. When I have heard it it seems to come from inside the tube. But your talking about the metal base makes me wonder...I am guessing the glass it not loose in the base? Or the metal loose somehow? I have been able to repair loose bases with thin superglues.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/23/16 at 21:12:17

i'll investigate that will.

hope it doesn't go on me.  it was a little pricey and sounds way way better than the blk base mullard i have.  the metal base has so much detail top to bottom.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/29/16 at 17:24:10

I hope it doesn't go too Trip!

I get really attached to certain tubes as well, especially to Phillips made GZ rectifiers, but in my case GZ32s. I can still love some American versions...5V4Gs and some 5R4GYs in the just-right blend though. And I love a change up at times, forced by say a rectifier change to adjust elsewhere to sync the change in.

Sometimes I have to change just one other tube, and sometimes 3-4  of the eight tube positions I have with the Torii and CSP3 together....but once the refined beauty shows up I am amazed again, though in a slightly different way.

I do have those eight positions though which helps, and also EQ for fine tuning, and these definitely widen the scope of tubes that can work and work together here.

Hope the tube lives on!

Will

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print