Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 19:12:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can you use a 807 tube in the racheal (Read 2216 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

can you use a 807 tube in the racheal
09/18/16 at 11:18:19

can you use a 807 tube in a racheal

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: can you use a 807 tube in the racheal
Reply #1 - 09/21/16 at 21:22:29

I would be surprised if you could. The 807's that I had in the VTL Triode 120's I used to sell (and borrow often) have an anode cap and that requires a connection that the Rachael would not have (at least mine doesn't). Let me know what you find out. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/16 at 23:41:39

I assume an 807 is okay since 6L6s are listed.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/22/16 at 03:43:22

This is my SE34I.5 drawer with my weapons of choice for this amp.

The 807's are probably my favorite.

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/16 at 12:04:14

so where do I obtain these adapters, and a hugh AHHHHHHHHH!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/23/16 at 22:36:27

I got adaptors on eBay from a chinese maker. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282117297524?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

These are a little funky, particularly in the top connection. The wire insulation does not go fully into the bakelite hole, so you can get a jolt if you touch the bit of exposed raw metal. I got them when I was first checking out 807s because they were cheap, had shielded silver wire going up to the top connector, had a silver plated top connector, and decent solder. The internal top connector is four prong and very strong, whereas it seems many are more relaxed fitting bent metal with gold plating and ceramic insulators. These connectors are so strong, I have to adjust them a little with a screw driver for  some 807s with a little different top connectors. But they sound really good (good enough that I ordered more recently)!

EDIT: I don't think I was clear here. I don't necessarily like how strong this connector is, more commenting on how it is a bit of a hassle. But then, with minor "manual manipulation" they do fit well!

I had ordered some back ups from the same seller, and they screwed up and sent me a variation. They seem to have the same straight forward bottom/pin setup and wire, but have a ceramic top connector with gold plated contact. The ceramic top connector seems better for safety, ease of use, and ability to change things if you wanted, but they did not sound as transparent!

I have tried a lot of tubes, and 807s are generally my favorite power tube in the Torii MKIV. But all power tubes sound different, and how they sound depends on the rest of the sound, so who knows how they might fit your setting. I would put them somewhere in between KT66 and EL34, probably closest to the Tungsol 6L6G (coke bottle next to the 274B in Steve's pic, my last favorite power tube), but the 807s tend to be bit clearer and more transparent if memory serves.

Smiley

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/16 at 22:46:55

like always , thank you Will. I have a friend who bought a 807 amp at the radio show in Kutztown Pa.  for a song  not an old piece ,but newer , and real nice , that's all I  can say here.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/16/16 at 14:42:57

Think I`ll try a quad of these for my Rachaels. Good makes for decent prices, and Nos.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/16/16 at 17:26:52

Hey Syd,  when you do share your impressions and where you bought them.  I've been using the RFT EL-34s after taking the Russian tubes out but I still have the small triple mica Russian tubes in my CSP3.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/17/16 at 19:31:46

Sure thing Mark. Theres a bunch of RCA 807`s on e-bay and I have the 4 typed in and hovering over the buy button. I`m coming in blind as to sonics etc so I will have a look at some of the tube sellers first. RCA seems a safe pair of hands though.
I do need a re-stock of signal tubes as well. My triple-micas are in the Rachaels and the CSP2+ has 2 as well. with a Phillips green label.  I`ve been rotating the 6p3s-E`s with the Tesla cross sword EL34`s.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/17/16 at 19:42:13

Syd, once i got my treble tamed with various tweaks, I went back to my Seimens/RFT EL-34....love them and it's doubtful they will ever be displaced for long. At the input positions...the front tube of my mono blocks, torri and CSP3, I've been using either Amperex white label 7308's or 6299s.  This seems to be the family of tubes at that position for me. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/17/16 at 20:54:39

I remember your Amperex posts well Mark, so I`ll be looking at them in the near future.

.......and I`ve just ordered 4 x 807 Mullards NIB from Mullard Magic. £22 ea.
http://www.mullardmagic.co.uk/search?q=807

If they`re what I`m hoping they`ll be I cant believe the prices.

He`s also got loads of RAF 807`s as well, in ceramic bases. Used for altitudes apparently.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/02/16 at 22:44:46

I got to try the Mullard 807 CV124`s this evening. No dramas, the adapators fitted and they powered up. Same volume, forgot to check the meters for current draw. First thing I noticed was how quiet the amps were. I`ve had the gremlins in again for 4-5 weeks. Strange one this time, a hum with just the Rachaels on and they dont have volume pots. I tilted the ZMC1 and a crackle, traced the offending i/c to the ZP3, a little wiggle and the right speaker went quiet. The left took a little longer. With 3 amps on a platform the i/c`s get intertwined not only with themselves but also the mains cables and do like to hang over transformers. Must get a rack system. I tamed the hum a little by poking a particular i/c out of the way.
As I said when I fired the amps up with the 807`s it was like this cant be right, the hum was gone. Now I`m wondering if all the gremlins popping up was due to the EL`34`s not being `right`. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, the sound. I want to say awesome but lets say I was impressed even on the first album. By the time the amps were fully warmed up I played a favourite John Martin and loved it, hearing further into the music and thus becoming more involved than I have before. New detail. And thats with just 3 hrs on the tubes. When I get 30 hrs on them I`ll do a retake.
Syd.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/06/16 at 21:33:15

After 15hrs the tubes have pretty much levelled out. OK, first off is the tremendous bass extension and energy. My Lowthers handle it beautifully. Second, I`m finding myself repeatedly in the middle of a massive sound stage. Very intimate. Sweet, sweet guitars. Sax, trumpet... air....lovely.
Big sound. This could probably be the vintage Mullard sound. Textured, detailed.
Of course I can be sure of accurately hearing all of this thanks to the Decware amps...
Syd

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/12/16 at 14:01:54

I`ve had a system change. Now the proud owner of a Michell Orbe + SME V . Lucky boy indeed ! Anyway, just reporting that the 807`s are showing that they can step up to the plate. The bass is, well they whole sound is more refined, 3D etc. I`m going to change out the Ortofon Rhoman which came with the deck for my M.Benz LPs today so expect further improvements. Also I have installed the Shuguang 6H1n`s into the Rachaels and expect them to take a while to show their merits.
Syd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 11/12/16 at 14:38:54

Awesome! Congrats!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/12/16 at 17:16:56

Syd, I just looked up that Turn table...I'd never heard of it.  That's one wild looking piece of Gear.  Did you buy used...get a good deal?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/12/16 at 17:58:15

Thanks Lon ! Mark it`s a used model in excellent condition £2,750 with arm and cart. It`s a pretty cool looking machine. The arm is daunting to look at but I just switched carts over to my Benz. So easy lol it only screws in one way with no adjustments. Just set the tracking weight and antiscate. Hope there is no overhang adjustment, but there may be.

Now my friend thinks the Rohman sounds better.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #18 - 01/15/17 at 16:42:20

Well since Steve has posted his stash of favorite tubes for his Rachael, I am going to get some 807's and adapters on order this week. Looking forward to hearing what these sound like. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #19 - 03/23/17 at 21:21:47

Well since I have about a month on this set of early '70's RCA 807 I have to say the Rachael is sounding really nice. Overall comment would be ''organic'' meaning everything seems to be in balance. I did get a set of Sylvania 6L6GC's from the same era and I will put them back in and let them cook for a month to see how they settle in. Had them in for a long weekend when I got them in Feb and they sounded good, almost bigger than  life if that makes any sense. It will be interesting to revisit them. I don't have the vocab or the patience of the more skilled tube rollers on this forum, but will get into more detail later. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print