Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 02:18:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4 ohm or 8 ohm driver selection? (Read 5027 times)
Corey
Seasoned Member

4 ohm or 8 ohm driver selection?
09/17/16 at 05:51:03

I just bought Lon's DalAudio Retro 3886 amp.  The specs state its power at .1% THD+N from 20-20,000 hz with the following :

8 ohm driver : 38 watts per channel
4 ohm driver : 68 watts per channel

Silver Flute makes the 8" wool cone driver in both 4 or 8 ohm.  Which would you recommend I get?

This DalAudio amp sure looks like it would remain very stable into 4 ohms so perhaps I should just go for more power and get the 4 ohm model?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Corey  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 4 ohm or 8 ohm driver selection?
Reply #1 - 09/17/16 at 12:41:00

Glad you got the amp safe and sound Corey, and though I'm no expert I think the 4 ohm will work admirably. You may want to drop DAL Audio an email, they were pretty responsive when I was researching that amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/16 at 18:16:02

Thanks for the reply Lon!

Hey, this amp has no volume control. Oh well, I guess that's a good thing because now I HAVE to get a ZBox!  I am going to go with the NOS Allen-Bradley 47K resistors for the cathode/anode's and Riken Ohm for the loading.  I just want it to sound golden this time around and when dealing with solid-state, every bit helps for warmth and glow.  8-)

Cor

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/16 at 18:19:53

Going to email DalAudio right now and ask them of the amps true "sounding" stability into 4 ohms.  Hope it sounds just as good as 8 ohm on the Silver Flute's as 70 watts of power would be good for walking bass lines and kick drums on a 94db speaker!

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/18/16 at 18:36:48

Sorry, I thought you knew that it was just an amplifier. DAL Audio does make some pretty nice preamplifiers as well. But a ZBOX is a ZBOX. Mine was somehow a hum picker upper. I dealt with that on and off and then when I wasn't using it sold it, the guy I sold it too had real hum issues and sold it back to me. But I think that has been improved by Steve now, mine is an early model.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/16 at 19:35:28

No problem Lon.  I have thought about a custom ZBox for years and really want as warm/smooth/sweet as $600.00 can get it.

I am not concerned about the noise factor of the ZBox.  I can install ERS chassis sheets/interconnect wrap strips and have a nice 8 x 11" sheet of mu-metal at the farm house to wrap the power transformer if needed.  Plus could probably request the use of the DSG shielded cables inside the chassis in the build.  I have decided on the DSG's for my component interconnects so having them inside the buffer can't hurt either for synergy!

If worst comes to worse, Steve could probably do DC heaters for a modest price.  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/18/16 at 19:45:57

Actually I am most looking forward to the sound of the A n B resistors in the buffer.  I have been intrigued about their sound for years since reading this at angela.com :

"Quantities of these N.O.S. carbon composition resistors are limited; most production has ceased in the USA. 'Carbon comps; remain popular with D.I.Y tube guitar and hi-fi amp builders; there's a rosy glow around the notes that drives 'scope jockeys' nuts and makes the rest of us reach for our guitars and records. Most of the vintage tube gear we know and love was built using this type of 'antique' carbon resistor; you'll see loads of old Stackpole and Allen-Bradley resistors in vintage Fenders, Marantz, etc. Allen-Bradley is considered by some to be the best example of this type of resistor with Stackpole and IRC close behind, but even the "maker uncertain" carbon comps we sell are equal in quality to those found in most classic tube gear. True, there is some thermal drift and a very slight bit of noise inherent in the design of carbon composition resistors but this is largely a 'non-issue' in most guitar amps circuits and most vintage hi-fi as well. Caveats? I wouldn't use carbon comps in a new microphone preamp design, a high gain phono preamp for low output moving coil phono cartridges or a headphone amp."

Thermal drift will be a non-issue in the ZBox.

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print