Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:00:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crown XLS1002 questions (Read 5818 times)
Rich

Crown XLS1002 questions
09/11/16 at 22:07:24

I just bought a Crown XLS amp and I'm not sure it is working correctly in my system.  I have a SE84 UFO2 that was modified by Steve to have preamp outs.  I'm using these as inputs to the Crown, which is being used to drive the woofers in my OB speakers.  The speaker outputs in the SE84 are driving my full range Betsy drivers.   I was using the preamp outs to drive a Dayton plate amp before I bought the Crown.

With the Dayton in the chain, I was getting good base output with the plate amps volume set at about the 11:00 position.  With the Crown I need to set the volume controls all the way up to get the same base volume.  The Crown is configured in stereo mode.  The crossover is set to low pass and 125 HZ.

The bass I'm getting from the Crown sounds really good.  The only lights are the bottom row which indicates a signal is present.  I'm not getting any fault or clipping lights coming on.

Do anyone have any thoughts on why I have to run the Crown wide open?

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Crown XLS1002 questions
Reply #1 - 09/11/16 at 23:44:14

It sounds like you need more input voltage for the Crown. You might need something like an ZSTAGE to up the voltage.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 09/12/16 at 00:33:21

Good call Donnie.

Rich, I would check with Steve and see what voltage the SE84 is outputing, then check the manual on that Crown and see what it requires.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rich

Reply #3 - 09/12/16 at 00:56:45

Thanks Guys
If I need to increase the input voltage to the Crown, could a Zstage be used between the preamp outs on the SE84 and the Crown?

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/12/16 at 01:44:55

The xx02 models have the option of 0.775v or 1.4v input sensitivity.
Is yours set to 0.775?

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #5 - 09/14/16 at 22:57:57

I tried both input settings.  I also tried connecting the Crown directly to a CD player and I still can only get moderate volume levels.  I called parts Express and they gave me return authorization and will ship me a new one.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/15/16 at 12:36:00

Rich I am getting ready for work, but I can show you how I have mine wired when I get a chance.  It may seem crude, but it works.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/16 at 14:08:32

Rich, see the thread Palomino Audio project starting with reply #11.

I ended up eliminating the negative wire on both cords to eliminate some feedback.  

I currently rum my crown xls1000 at a notch or two below 1/2 so I have plenty of headroom if I need it.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #8 - 09/15/16 at 23:41:32

Pal,
Thanks for your reply's.  I really would prefer to run the crown from the preamp outs rather then speaker outs.  I Sent a PM to Steve to verify the preamp output voltage.  

I recently bought a used Zstage from a forum member.  Just for grins I tried putting it between the preamp outs on the Zen and the crown.  If I dial up the Zstage I can dial down the crown to around midway and still get decent volume.  This seems like a waste of the Zstage since the the crown crossover is set to 125hz.  

I was thinking about trying an unbalanced to balanced active converter to see if using the higher voltage balanced inputs would be better.  Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print