Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:07:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tonearm hum pickup problem solved! (Read 1449 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Tonearm hum pickup problem solved!
08/19/16 at 19:58:05

I've noticed a hum at volume levels above 11oclock. By moving the TT away from the Decware amps I was able to reduce it but the cables weren't long enough to get it far enough away and besides I don't even have enough room to get it far enough away so that's not even practical anyway. I figured this had to be either electrical noise coming from the amps or electro magnetic interference. So, I went and bought a sheet of steel for $15 bucks that I could place under the TT and then clipped a ground wire to it and ran that back to the outlet ground. Problem still there. So I was thinking it must be electro magnetic interference coming from the transformers. Since I was familiar with this from noise issues I've dealt with at work I new about Mu Metal shielding. Well I did some research and found out there's another material that works better than Mu Metal. It's called Giron and its a bit pricey. But I decided to give it a shot and spend $100 bucks on a 2ft X 25" sheet. This is a woven material so it's a little easier to work with(more flexible) over Mu Metal. The product arrived and I slipped it under the TT and turned everything on. Problem significantly reduced by like 90%. Oh, and this material doesn't need to be grounded, it somehow just absors the magnetic energy. Best $100 bucks I ever spent!
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print