Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 23:03:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I hooked up a Decware amp to my PC (Read 4535 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

I hooked up a Decware amp to my PC
08/07/16 at 04:05:52

So, there it was on top of a bookshelf, the SE84ZC, doing nothing.  I took it and connected it to my PC.  I have some 88DB speakers on that PC so it wasn't going to get crazy loud and it wasn't.  At first I didn't think much of the sound but then I noticed that I blew 4 hours listening to music on YOUTUBE.  Yowza.  I guess it sounded better than I thought it would.

Now, if I can get some high efficiency bookshelf speakers for that PC I might have something.  Maybe some Klipsch bookshelf stuff.

Maybe a cheap USB DAC, too.

What do you think of that?

IP Logged
Costas
Verified Member

Re: I hooked up a Decware amp to my PC
Reply #1 - 08/07/16 at 05:26:58

I really think is a great idea! It's a shame to have a Zen around and sit there just collecting dust...
It will make you buy better speakers, Dac, USB or any other connecting cables you will be using, better computer, improve room acoustics and so on... lol
That's what happened to me! It was well worth it. When playing hi-rez files goosebumps guaranteed!!!
I already feel sorry for your wallet my dear friend... ha ha ha...  ;D

To Be or Not To Be! That's the question...
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/16 at 06:58:12

I looked all over the internet and I'm going to get the Decware Trapezium desktop speakers.  I think they look nice and every Zygi has made for me is magic.  I expect big things from these.

IP Logged
Costas
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/07/16 at 07:15:34

Good Choice!
Looking Amazing! Pretty Reasonable for such a high quality speaker!
If Steve recommends it you know it's really good!!!
Don't forget a real hi-quality DAC as well...

To Be or Not To Be! That's the question...
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/08/16 at 01:39:24

Hey Matchstikman,

I have a pair of Trapezium paired with a Schiit Bifrost with the USB upgrade. Pretty damn transparent for computer audio, although just a touch on the bright side. I amp with a Newhaus Labs T2. I recommend the Bifrost, and it wasn't too spendy. I think that I paid $450 for mine including the USB upgrade. On the lower end of the scale, I have an Audioengine D1, which has the advantage of a volume control, but doesn't really come close to the Bifrost in terms of sound quality. On the other hand, I didn't pay much for it. I don't remember exactly, but it was in the $100 range. Another step up is the TEAC UD-501 that Steve recommended to me a few years back. I think that one was $850. Anyway, there are a few choices for you. I'm thinking that I need to thin my herd, so keep an eye on the Classified section. If I can overcome inertia, I may be listing the Bifrost and/or the TEAC. I do seem to have trouble letting go of these things, tho, so...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/08/16 at 02:28:33

The BIFROST is on my short list along with an iFi Nano iDSD DAC.  I will agree that music from the PC is very bright.  Also, I've noticed music from YOUTUBE sounds much better than music ripped from a CD or the CD itself.  I don't know how to fix this.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/08/16 at 21:26:15

I have trapeziums on a se84ckc. It's a great combination especially since the Zen loves the lower 4ohm load. Real synergy there.  It's only with electronic tunes with super low notes that you'll miss bass. For normal music acoustic or not, it just sounds amazing, detailed, and balanced.  This was all on a bifrost too. I have and love the yggdrasil, so I can only assume the multibit bifrost would be even better than my bifrost by adding some of that ladder dac smoothness of it's big brother.

Good choices

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print