Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage conversion... (Read 5009 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Voltage conversion...
08/04/16 at 13:20:46

Hi All,

In another few months, I am planning to move back to Brooklyn, NY from Istanbul, Turkey.  As you would imagine, I have a bunch of stereo equipment which are all wired for 230V.  Having everything rewired to 110V and changing all the electric filters by Stein and BlackNoise as well as the electric cables would cost a fortune.  Rather than doing that, I am thinking of buying a powerful transformer (2500 watts or more) which would take the 110V and convert to 230V.

I have done the opposite in the past; that is, I used my Decware gear wired for 110V in Turkey by using a 230-to-110V transformer.  Steve had even mentioned that it would reduce the noise in the electricity.  Now it would be the other way around...

I have tons of filters in my chain that reduce the noise in the electricity but I still wanted to hear your opinions on this...  What do you think?  Should I have everything rewired and have new sets of filters and electric cables (or at least terminations): or should I go for the significantly cheaper option of 110-to-230V transformer?

Any opinions would be highly appreciated...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Re: Voltage conversion...
Reply #1 - 08/04/16 at 18:57:27

While it wouldn't take much to rewire the x-frmr's (wire from series to parallel ) you might check to see if there are any upgrades for your decware equip. and if so you could have done at that time.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 08/05/16 at 02:25:02

Alper,

I'm with you at least for those components that aren't easily converted to 110 volt operation (some have dual primary windings that can be rewired, and some don't). Likely, it may be a bit of a quest to find the transformer that you would prefer, i.e. the correct shielding, amperage, and overall quality. By no means are transformers equal when it comes to class.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/05/16 at 08:53:56

Thanks folks...

Among my equipment is:

- TABOO mkIII
- Copland CTA405 push-pull amp
- Hegel HD20 DAC (with a 110-220 switch)
- Rega RP6 Turntable
- Marantz CD player,
- etc.

But on top of these, I have two of Stein's InLine Power, and a bunch of Black Noise filters and DH Labs power cables which have all European style sockets.  Switching them all to US three-prong connectors or US versions of these products would cost me more than $5,000.  Rather than making such an investment, I am more inclined towards buying a high-quality transformer (like Best Diamond, for instance) with ample capacity (more than 5,000 watts).  One can say that all those filters, etc. are just snake oil which I thought as well prior to installing these in my setup.  Yet, I must admit they improved the performance significantly, and therefore I would not like to give them up...

Thanks again,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 08/05/16 at 22:49:49

Alper

Don't forget that we do have 220/230/240 vac in the U.S.  Your dryer, stove, and hot water heater all use it (unless you have gas).  Don't know what your electrical panel looks like or where you need the power, but a dedicated 230 circuit be the answer.  

Dan

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 08/05/16 at 23:12:55

Dank raises a valid point. 220 voltage is available at the breaker box, and I forgot that I have even taken advantage of this in the past. The idea using those European cords can be handled by making a power strip that will accept them.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/08/16 at 15:49:34

That is a great solution actually...  The only potential problem with that is, someone who does not know that specifically and who is not savvy about such a thing (like the cleaning lady, etc.) might plug in a 110V unit into that strip and blow few things up!  :)

Thanks,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 08/08/16 at 18:29:36

Alper,

I can appreciate your concern, as I have to consider exactly that when I was using 220 voltage in the house. My answer was to buy a 110 volt outlet with a different blade configuration, i.e. one blade was 90 degrees to the other, rather than parallel to each other making insertion of a regular plug impossible. They are not that uncommon, and usually can be purchased in a local hardware store. Of course, this would likely be a dedicated circuit, and should be labeled clearly as such in the fuse panel.  It is possible to come off of another 220 circuit such as a stove or other large appliance, but that would not be my first choice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print