Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 12:36:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Rachel Amp (And Tubes) (Read 5332 times)
aperilla
Verified Member

New to Rachel Amp (And Tubes)
07/20/16 at 20:49:24

I just took delivery of a Rachel Amp and I am really happy trying it out, and hopefully discovering new things about my music that before were not apparent. I have a couple of speakers whose sensitivity is rated at 89db. To get adequate sound, I have to raise the volume all the way up. There is no clipping or distortion of any type at this maximum level. My question is simple: will this hurt the amp, or reduce the life of the tubes in any way?

Many thanks.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: New to Rachel Amp (And Tubes)
Reply #1 - 07/20/16 at 21:04:41

aperilla- Congrats on the amp!! We took delivery of a Rachael last year and a few other Decware pieces and are living in musical freaking bliss all the time. I had some 87/89 dB sensitive speakers before our Omega came, and like you it would play, but volume was maxed. I doubt it would hurt the amp, I think in my case it was more of a mental issue of the volume on max. Now with 96dB speakers I have plenty o' volume almost all the time. Rachael is a GREAT amp, as all all Decware amps/products. Keep us posted on your journey into the Zen tube rabbit hole. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/16 at 21:59:57

I don't think so, but I am not expert.

Like rider, I ran Rachael with 89db speakers for a while before finally moving to 95db and that is fine for nearly all listening.  

Its a speaker to speaker thing though.  I had other 89db speakers that just didn't cut the mustard.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/16 at 22:00:55

A couple of things to keep in mind: the amp needs 2.5 volts to reach max power and tube amps can sound louder to many people when they are indeed clipping and distorting.

Are you using a preamp?
If you are running directly from a source what is the max volts out?

What speakers? Are they 4 ohms?

A 6 watt EL84 sep amp has worked for me with 8 ohm speakers around 90 dB.

IP Logged
aperilla
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/22/16 at 00:41:06

No preamp.

Speakers are Specimen (26").

Speakers are 8 ohm.

Thanks all.

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/16 at 04:56:56

I'm curious, is this a new Rachael, with the UFO tranny's or something  you picked up used. The SE34I has under gone a lot of changes over the last 13 - 14 years. Does it have the DC ma meters and what are they reading.
The milliamp draw can have a considerable effect on its performance, it should be around 40ma DC.

IP Logged
aperilla
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/23/16 at 17:08:57

Bought it new.

It is drawing 41.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print