Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:27:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to turn off a Torii? (Read 10983 times)
JimmyJet
Verified Member

How to turn off a Torii?
07/19/16 at 05:30:57

I have a Torii Mk IV and most of the time when I turn it off it creates a loud pop through the speaker connected to the last channel powered down, or if both channels are swithed off simultaneously, there is a pop through both speakers. Here is my shut down sequence:
1) Turn the volume on Torii completely down
2) Turn off the source
3) Switch off one channel
4) Switch off the other channel

This happens intermittently ever since I received the unit, but I would say it happens 90% of the time. Is this normal? I'm just worried that one of these days it could blow one of the tweeters... Thanks  

Cheers

Torii Mk IV [beeswax, attenuator]

Klipsch KG4's [Crites' upgrades
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: How to turn off a Torii?
Reply #1 - 07/19/16 at 14:56:56

Does it do it when you turn the amp off first?
Amp on last, off first.

IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/16 at 23:01:20

Yes it does. Also have tried switching the input selector to the empty source, and it still does it.

IP Logged
chuckc13
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/16 at 00:04:04

No pop from my Torri when turning it off, no matter how I turn it off.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 07/20/16 at 23:01:31

if you follow typical recommended procedure... you turn on the amp last and turn it off first.
I have never heard a sound come out of my speakers when turning my Torii off - ever - no matter what sequence I turn it off in.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/21/16 at 01:12:28

Me neither...no sound ever cutting off my Toriis.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/21/16 at 03:19:27

Like I said, Maddog, whether I turn it off first or last, it doesn't matter - still pops. Because the volume is always all the way down when I turn it off it makes me think something is leaking like some sort of residual build up. I guess it's time to send an email to Steve.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/16 at 17:45:54

I had an anomaly with my ZMA input or inverter tube that cause a loud noise and occasional popping that was independent of the volume control.  I think you may have a tube issue.

I never changed the tube(s) and now they seem fine.  Some sort of "ghost in the machine," I guess.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JAG
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/22/16 at 12:48:50

I have the same issue with a Mk III. When I brought it to Steve's attention he couldn't explain it, but he also said he didn't think it was an indication of any real problem with the amp.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/22/16 at 14:27:48

Maddog07 said:
Quote:
you turn on the amp last and turn it off first.

I usually do the opposite, amp first on, amp last off.  I tried it as you suggested and I got an audible pop that way.  Just my two cents.  Now, I'm confused.  I should just stick to boomboxes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/22/16 at 14:40:51

I have a Mk III in daily use. I generally leave everything else on so most sources are on when I turn the amp off, and I don't have any sounds doing so. . ..

Man I love this amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/22/16 at 15:27:11

Lon, you won't love your amp when they rise up and take over the world.  hahaha

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 07/22/16 at 15:51:42

Sheeit, I'm already her bitch! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 07/22/16 at 17:31:01

I agree with Archie (even though Archie's situation panned out without replacing or swapping the inverter tubes)....sounds like a tube(s). With 29 months on my 0A3 Sylvania's shipped with my ZMA...I was getting a light thump independent of the volume control....I would see it when it was the last to flicker the way 0A3's do.....replaced the pair with NOS 0A3 RCA's....all fixed. I was hoping it was not the right channel output tubes (KT66's) and it was not.....those are new just this last November.

I've never had any issues. Proper sequence of turn on is: All four of my pieces are pluged into my PS Audio P3.....I turn on P3...it turns on my ZMA and ZDSD....(never a thump or noise) and I leave the volume at its usual turned up status/placement/ZMA......then I manually from remote turn on my Transport then ARC Pre (ARC Pre always defaults to mute and 0 volume).

Shut down: ARC Pre off first/from its Remote....then hit button from remote of P3...shuts down Transport, ZDSD and ZMA.....volume always left up on ZMA...never a thump or noise as I stated.

Same sequence above when LS17 SE Pre is not in the chain....like right now.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 07/23/16 at 05:37:27

Well, like I said, sequence really doesn't have any effect one way or the other. As far as tubes are concerned, all of the original tubes have been replaced, but it still pops when turning off just as it did when it was using the stock tubes. Thanks for the replies, this tells me what I needed to know -- I just wanted to make sure it wasn't normal before I looped in Steve.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 07/23/16 at 12:43:45

I just remembered about having this same problem with my Torii a few months ago. What it ended up being was that my power cord was loose, pulled up out of the amp. I pushed it down and the problem went away.
Maybe....???

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 07/23/16 at 19:16:52

Thanks Donnie - I'm using the Decware silver reference power cord and I did notice that it can be wiggled fore and aft even when seated fully all the way down. This evening after playing it, I will hold it down while switching off the rocker switches. I guess I could even try swapping back in the stock power cord as well. One more last thing to try... Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print