04/25/24 at 05:22:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio servers? (Read 10903 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Audio servers?
07/18/16 at 15:00:52

Okay, so maybe I am behind the times but here are my thoughts.

I got a new CD Transport last week and it makes my CD collection sound much better than it did.  However, alot of times I burn a CD and use the CDR instead of the original just due to wear and tear.  I ran out of CDs and it was a bitch to find CDs.  The local supermarket used to have them but they don't so I had to go to one of the office places for a pack of them.

Which then in turn makes me think, there has to be a way for me to copy my CDs in a lossless format to some kind of repository that I can then plug into my CSP and get on with it.

So, any ideas or suggestions?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Audio servers?
Reply #1 - 07/18/16 at 17:50:55

That is vast arena. Does your transport allow you to plug in and choose a hard drive? If so, this may be a good start. Get some good audio CD ripping software that does error correction, and rip some  CDs uncompressed to a hard drive.

Many, like me, use a computer and DAC, but the computer setup, if you want great sound, is not as simple as it might appear. Different ripping software, file types, and methods (no compression, full resolution error free is best); different machines make different amounts of noise that is easily conveyed through the digital cable wires to the DAC and can screw up data by reports....many ways to start right and deal with this; different cables make a difference in all sorts of ways; vibration, EMF RFI; player software used and settings make big differences; system setup to minimize computer processing and associated noise matters; external hard drives used and ways of connecting them for best sound make differences; little filter rigs to reorganize/convert the SPDIF or USB data for better sound....on and on, it all matters.

It is pretty simple if you just copy someone's setup, but looking at all the many choices so many people have tried to get where they are is daunting. Just have to keep in mind the basic needs to get clear with your own choices. In the end my system is pretty straight forward, but it is all the right stuff together that makes the whole great.

Something I love about the computer is transparent EQ integrated with good player software for fine tuning. But only a few of the really good Mac player softwares (I use a Mini) allow extensive EQ... some none, and some minimal.

The more modern approach is to buy a ready-made unit that does all this well, but I personally have no knowledge there, having figured out the computer server.

computeraudiophile.com is a huge resource. If you look around there, you will get a feel of the arena and maybe make some choices from that.

Here is a recent server review I just found. Have not read it, so can't recommend it, but it may help illustrate the all-in-one scene. http://www.stereophile.com/category/media-server-reviews

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/16 at 18:54:57

Will, I'm looking for a ready made unit.  I've seen a few that seem capable, but all this is new to me.

My current DAC does not allow connections to a hard drive.

I'd like to rip and create FLAC, WAV or something lossless into this new device and basically a digital out into a DAC and from DAC to my preamp and off I go.

I'd rather not have a whole PC thing that I need to maintain and worry about viruses, etc.

The thing is burning CDs gets expensive and CDs do wear out from physical overuse.  I'd like to buy a new CD, burn it into the new device, and be done with it.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/16 at 19:11:35

In 30 years of using CDs in my home and car I've never had one wear out.

PS....and boombox for 2 weeks every Feb. at Bonita Beach, FL until I lost my free place to stay for vacation Cry

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/18/16 at 19:28:24

Oh, come on, Lin, you've never worn one out?  You are trying hard enough...hehehehehe!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/18/16 at 19:55:59

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/18/16 at 20:11:24

Yeah, Lon, that's what I've checked out.

So far, I'm in a fact finding mode just checking on what is out there and what can be done.

I've found some low cost streaming solutions but I rather not stream and prefer a hard connection.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/18/16 at 20:20:23

Cool. Keep us posted.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/18/16 at 20:38:56

Well, on some of them the label part that sticks out on the shelf is faded. Wink
The CDs themselves look new.

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #9 - 07/18/16 at 21:19:30

I have been using a Bluesound Vault for about 3 years.  It has a terabyte hard drive and CD ripper built in.  It supports most file formats but not DSD.  The new model now has a 2 terabyte hard drive.  It also supports many streaming services and by adding Bluesound Nodes you can play music stored on the Vault on other systems in other rooms.  The Bluesound system is controlled via an app on your phone or iPad.  The new Vault has both optical and coax for digital out. The cost is $1200.

I have ripped all my CD's to the vault in flac format.  IMO the output from the vault sounds better then the output from my Marantz CD5004 player.  I'm really happy with it with one exception.  They have recently upgraded the software and changed how you manage playlists and the play queue.  I liked the old version a lot more.  

You can read a lot of info on their forum at:
Helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 07/18/16 at 21:20:57

I've been doing the computer thing for quita a while now.
I have "The Bix Box" in my stereo room and a laptop for my neighbor annoying garage stereo.
Most of my files are either .WAV or .Flac.
I'm using JRiver 21 in both computers, Windows in the main one and Linux in the garage system.
If I were starting from scratch I would do both in Linux, it operates a little bit quicker as there isn't anything else running.
I've never had any issues with viruses(knock on wood) in the windows box and from what I understand, nobody messes with Linux stuff like windows.
Storage anymore is cheap, a couple 2 TB removable hard drives will hold everything I own.
My CD's last forever, dump them into the hard drive and put them back on the shelf.
It isn't difficult to do, and it makes it really easy to find what you want to listen to. Instead of searching through shelves of CD's, I type in what I want to listen to and it plays in a couple of seconds.
That is my personal (useless) opinion.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #11 - 07/18/16 at 21:39:08

How do you wear out a CD? I have several from when CD just came out and over the years playing them have no issue? There is no physical contact to extract the information like vinyl or tape. If I am not mistaken a real CD has pits to reflect back but copies are burn marks. Why not use the original? I would think the parabolic type reflection back off of a true CD would yield less jitter.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #12 - 07/18/16 at 21:53:21

I do correct myself after reviewing some information in the sense the reflection may not be focused on its return but merely reflected. But I would still say an original is more accurate that a copy. Otherwise why go through the trouble to have the pits in the first place.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/19/16 at 04:09:11

I wear CDs out especially when they sometimes double as coasters.  Sh** happens.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/19/16 at 17:13:18

Ive been using dbpoweramp for ripping cds for couple of yrs.  They go on a 2tb drive on my main desktop (i back it up periodically). Then i use daphile os on homemade pc or intel nuc and plug it into a usb dac.
and use a squeezebox app on phone to control it.

i have 3 setups like this and love them.

the 3rd setup is a raspberry pi with dac using volumio os.  Works pretty good too.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 07/22/16 at 17:31:41

I do pretty similar to Trip. I take these little PCs, put Windows on them, rip all my CDs, and stream them to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC either through USB (with Foobar2000 software), or right now I'm testing Roon software via the Bridge II network input. Both sound fantastic, but the Roon/Bridge II setup was so much easier! (and way more expensive).

There is definitely a learning curve for a pure digital setup. You can spend lots of money and get systems that are pretty well complete, you just add your music, or you can get your hands dirty and do it really inexpensively with a tiny computer and some software and lots of poking around to get it how you want it to look/work/sound.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print