Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 07:14:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I got a new CD transport... (Read 6111 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

I got a new CD transport...
07/16/16 at 07:32:38

It is a Cambridge CXC.  This unit is strictly for redbook.  It is much heavier than the Modwright Pioneer universal player I was using as a transport.  It has to be at least twice as heavy.  And it is sturdy.

I plugged it into the Bel Canto DAC 1.1 using a Cardas digital cable.  I've had these things for at least a decade if not more.

So far after 6 hours of playback.....WOW.  It sounds so much better than the old unit.  I am so in the middle of mid-fi now that it isn't even a joke.

I'm digging it.

I've got Madonna's Immaculate Collection on because I'm a softie for 80s music and the synth and bass are clean.

I'm digging it.  Did I say that?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: I got a new CD transport...
Reply #1 - 07/16/16 at 15:00:48

I use and own two others new in the box..... Sony DVD Transports. If it was not as good as a PS Audio PWT (which I have owned) and other such spread, I certainly would not be using with a ARC LS17 SE, ZDSD, KIMBER Select and ZMA, ETC.... . I love how good it is and makes others scratch their heads.      

Strictly Redbook for me too. Hi-Rez is bull and a waste of time and money when my Redbook System matches it. So, I don't need to bother with that Rabbit Hole.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/16 at 15:17:34

Great news Matchstick. If it is this good now, after a couple hundred hours, it should do what it does even better. More nuance, subtle definition, and fine detail.

I am all redbook too. My Tranquility DAC setup extracts and smoothly conveys all the musical beauty I need. I wonder how many folks think hi-res is necessary based on most DACs not being able to get all redbook has to offer. My DAC setup just sounds like real music here for the most part, and  with 44K.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 07/16/16 at 15:23:28

.....and it is not just any ole Sony DVD.... It is a gem long discontinued....so why I shelved a couple of new box units. I bet your CXC is close though if not a match. Enjoy.

16/192....Steve new what he was doing with this machine (ZDSD) and his output stage. But then, Steve knows what he is doing on a lot of things-doesn't he!

ZMA = Masterpiece.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/27/16 at 02:57:04

I am all pcm red book cd too no need for HR and dsd etc with the Yiggy. I am using the CXC and it sounds excellent the last 6 months. In fact it beat my Marantz SA15 S2ltd.
When I had it with my Chord dac.

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Costas
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/16 at 05:45:45

Most of the time technology gets better when it comes to digital...
it really really sucked big time when it first came out though. I almost stopped listening to music because of it.
Thank God is getting better and better a couple of decades later...

To Be or Not To Be! That's the question...
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/07/16 at 06:59:58

The transport is far from fully burned in and so far it sounds better every day.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 08/08/16 at 21:39:12

I recently got a new CDP as well, but don't have the funds for a great DAC. I got ahold of a Rega Apollo R, and while it is not the best player that I have heard, I think that it has some possibilities. I say all this because, digital has made some good progress, but I am still learning that any player can benefit from what ever upgrade Makes It Sing. Power will always be a conscious factor for the audio equipment that I own, and it is routinely proven. I tried the factory power cord for about a day, and was thinking that I may have made a mistake buying this player. Much improvement came today after swapping the power cord to a Pangea 14SE cord. On one hand, I am not suggesting every thing that can be done should be done, yet do what can add to the positive balance of the system.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print