Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:02:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube pre/amps don't sound tubey... (Read 3105 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Tube pre/amps don't sound tubey...
07/13/16 at 21:45:21

So, I'm in the market of getting a tube pre.  I am looking for a tube pre with a tubey, euphoric sound.

Well, the more I read, the more I learn that modern tube designs produce neutral, detailed sounds that no longer sound tube-like even when they use a vast array of tubes.

Que pasa?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube pre/amps don't sound tubey...
Reply #1 - 07/13/16 at 22:34:33

Hey Matchstick. I for one love tubes more for the lucid, open, spacious qualities, and lack of messing with the recorded signal...leaving the very fine detail and ambient information unadulterated by noise and subtle distortions....a sound like real music.

Well made, simple circuits make less noise. And noise masks/disturbs detail, especially the very fine detail, by putting subtle, but damaging noise/distortions in what should be empty space. Assuming noise and distortions have not altered fine detail much, without emptiness for sound to come out of, subtle musical information is less clear...less able to fill out the music with natural sound. With the even order harmonics Steve can pull from even the push-pull amps, and with relative lack of subtle noise messing with the signal and filling up space, Decware amps are just the thing for me. All of the above is better able to produce a sound that seems more like live sound.

I don't know what level of "euphonic" you are after, but I get what I think of euphonic all the time, though maybe pretty subtle by some standards. I love textured warmth when the detail and micro detail are not masked by darkness. If I can get rich, textured sound with great spacial information and fine detail, and without the sound being too thick and dark, I really like "euphonic."

I find some tubes definitely do this more than others. The question is, what exactly does euphonic mean to you?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/14/16 at 01:13:50

What exactly does euphonic/euphoric mean to me?  Good question.  I don't know if I can answer that but I know it when I hear it.  Let me think on a good way to put the idea across.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/14/16 at 06:07:15

For what it's worth....  Not sure if I was looking for euphoric sound.  But I did want more.  So a few months after I bought my amp, I started looking for pre's.

I'm a really big fan of my Torii II Mk IV and therefore Decware.  In fact, I really wanted one of the new ZTPRE's, but while I was talking it up, a friend suggested this.  Well, he suggested I research it.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20line%20stage.html

And then, I had to have one.  After three months, mine is on the way. One reason I went with Don is he reminded me of Steve and how approachable he is.  And to be honest, in the beginning I was drawn to his pre a bit based on  aesthetics.  My case is the walnut version.  So it looks a lot like my amp in terms of style.   But the real reason was the recommendation of a friend and the reviews.  And the best part is that Don allowed me to tweak a few of the components a bit to my desired tastes.  For starters, a quad of Shuguang CV 181 tubes, Duelund Caps, and a 64 step remote.  

One of the things I did while researching was a lot of reading up on the various tubes and variants various builders were using.  I also spent a lot of time researching the various output caps available. Based on the wanting more concept, I was looking for a means of producing sound that helps induce that state of euphoria. I settled on the Duelund CAST PIO-Cu output capacitors as a means to this end.

I'm hoping and believing this will be a home run.  And.... it's basically a risk free buy as a cousin of mine bought a used Mottram design in a metal chassis that he tweaked on a bit and loves.  If I don't like Don's version, he wants it.  But, I have a feeling I'll keep it.

Not selling for Don. (yet)  Just sharing.      

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print