Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:08:20 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
What kind of turntable do you have? (Read 11586 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

What kind of turntable do you have?
07/12/16 at 15:58:33

I have a Pro-ject 2.1, I think with a Grado needle.
I've been looking around for a new turntable and I'm kinda leaning towards a VPI Scout.

What about you?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: What kind of turntable do you have?
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 16:42:53

Matchstikman,

I had a Scout on order 9 years ago when I came across Kevin at KAB.  He convinced me that one of his modified Technics would be a better option and I've never regretted it.  I am currenly rinning an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b MC cart with a ZMC1 and it really sings!

Technics is currently releasing a new 1200 that has been improved and seems to be phenomenal without any modifications  People are putting it up against TTs far above the Scout level.  Or, KAB is still modifying original 1200s.

Worth a look.  You can call Kevin too.  He is very accessible, like Steve.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/16 at 02:19:33

Rega Rp3. This is my first and only TT so I do t have much to compare but it did outperform the Rp1 significantly in my opinion.

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/13/16 at 03:59:40

Rega RP3 and I upgraded to an Exact2 cartridge, the TTPSU and all the Groovetracer upgrades including the Delrin platter. Very happy!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #4 - 07/14/16 at 15:51:43

I currently have a VPI Scout Master. Before that I had a VPI HW-19 and a Systemdek IIX. Going from the Systemdek to the HW-19 was a big change. The VPI was much quieter. The Systemdek had a very low level rumble that I did not notice until I went with the VPI.

VPI are built like tanks and are upgradable.
You may have a hum problem with the Grado since they are not shielded.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/16 at 13:05:50

i like my vintage Sota's.
currently a star sapphire, sme309, pulseR mc, zp3, zmc1.
since i got me zmc1 (final piece) i listen to vinyl 95% of time.  

have my previous sapphire for sale.  great setup just not a vacuum table.
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649238000-sota-sapphire-series-iii/

i'll let it go for $900 plus shipping.  it's plug and play.  and i have the original box to ship it in (very important with these).
its got an optional cast arm board, with oe rega rb 303 with techno weights (including optional xl for heavy carts). also has rega vta adapter.  cart is a grado 8mz.

only thing wrong are the hairline cracks in the dust cover and you cant even see them unless your right on them.

anyway just a thought.  it's a soid table for a very fair price (avg in lesser condition/arm/cart sell for $1100 - 1400).

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 07/17/16 at 15:16:56

I have a Sota Star Saphire vacuum, Fidelity Research FR-64 and a Shinon Red low output MC. The Sota table is an amazing piece of engineering and completely dead quiet with regards to any acoustical feedback. I cannot see ever changing out my table/arm but  a new cartridge is in my sights after I get my bike back from my mechanic. Let us know what you settle on, lots of great used gear out there since Sony gave us Perfect Sound so many years ago….ha, ha. Happy Listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/16 at 14:10:16

I've got the Marantz TT 15S1.  It's a great bargain table made by Clearaudio that comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso.  The cart is easily half the value of the price.

After upgrading the Virtuoso with a Soundsmith level 3 upgrade I jumped into a Lyra Delos and added a Bob's SUT to feed into my MM phono input.  The table part of the setup is now the weakest link.

I plan to buy a retirement table in a couple of years, likely to something from VPI.  I like their product strategy and ability to replace anything if needed.  If I pulled the trigger today it would likely be the Prime with 3D printed arm.  My Lyra Delos is a recommended cart on their website.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
samb0357
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/16 at 03:39:38

AR XA, Elac Miracord 50H, Dual 1019, Garrard Lab 80 & Pioneer PL-6A.

They've all been restored, and in the case of the XA, lightly modified. And they all sound great.

I've owned previously tables from VPI and Music Hall, and while I enjoyed them, these tables are for more enjoyable.  They're as musical as any piece of gear that I've ever owned.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/30/16 at 09:52:33

Roksan Radius 5  with high def cable. Micro Benz LPs.
Yes, overkill with the Benz costing more than twice the Radius ( all bought new). After a good few MC carts, always different manufacturers, I decided on a cart irregardless of common wisdom. That is, similar money for cart & TT. I wanted a cart to match the amps performance....music in music out ( the ZP3 impacted me ). And it`ll be future proof. The Roksan is stable, and musical. I`ve had it for, must be 7,8 years. We`ve been through a lot and seen gear come and go albeit at a slow pace. All good....
Now the arm, the Nima, makes up half the value of the Radius. Lovely arm, good looker as well, and a uni-pivot.
One thing about the Benz is it looks and feels like a nice lump, made of a dense wood. Ebony.
lol this cart is ...heavy, very heavy. The counterweight on the Nima will happily fall off the back of the stub and still be nowhere near countering the Benz. I have silver coronation 1/2 crown under the c/weight with a silicon tube damper wrapped around them both to find the balance which is still a ways back.
I`m getting the best sound I`ve ever had but this time next year I shall have a new deck. Time to let the Roksan off of the heavy lifting and get a new deck which will take things to the next level with a confident stride.  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #10 - 10/07/16 at 01:25:18

Hello all,
Got a new ZP3 in house, and a new table and arm, so I thought I'd post some very early impressions.

Old table that was replaced ( and soon on the chopping block ) was a Feickert Blackbird. Great table. I used it with the 12 inch Jelco that came with it, and my Fidelity Research FR66s. While we all know aural memory is nothing to rely on, this set-up did things I don't ever recall my VPI Aries MK1 doing. Really great analog set-up. Was completely happy, with no thought of ever changing anything.

Then a great deal on a really upper crust table fell into my lap that I could not turn down. I've got the new Amazon Grand Referenz table here, and I mounted a Moerch DP8 on it. Right now, since I'm using the ZP3, I'm using an Audio Technica AT150MLX, as it's the only high output cartridge I have. I've got some microphone input transformers in house that I'll eventually wire up so I can put my Midas bodied Denon DL103r and Koetsu Rosewood into play.

Until then, all I can say is that my vinyl rig is sounding sublime, and I know I'm no where near optimal set-up. I aligned the cartridge with my
MF Geodisc, and while its close, I know there's room for improvement. I ordered a Mint protractor, but Yip sent me the protractor for the 9 inch wand, and I've got the 12 inch version here. A new one shipped out today. After that arrives I'll attempt to really dial in the set-up.

The point of all this rambling is two-fold.

First, The Amazon Grand Referenz/Moerch DP8 combo is a significant step up from the Feickert/ Fidelity Research combo. I'm going to have to make an arm board to mount the Fidelity Research on the Amazon to compare to the Moerch. Should prove interesting.

Second, while I've got some hum in the ZP3 I've got to track down, there is something going on here that is hard to describe. I guess the best way to put it is that I get totally lost in the music. I put a record on, lower the arm, and the next thing I know is the side is done, I'm lifting the arm, and I've got a smile on my face and no recollection of the details of the music. Just lost.

Will have to compare the ZP3 to my Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 w/ SE+ upgrades and see what gives. But based upon my memories of the SF, and what I hear from the ZP3, I don't expect the SF will stay in the mix long.

More to follow,

Cheers,                 Crazy Bill           Smiley

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 10/07/16 at 12:06:26

Bill- Very nice update and congrats on the score of the table. The hum I had when I installed our ZP3 ended up just being related to where it was located in the rack. A little re-arranging and then silence….except for music. Keep us posted and I really want to hear about the tone arm comparison, I still like my FR64S. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #12 - 10/08/16 at 04:40:44

hdrider,

thanks for the insight.
The first thing I'll try is obviously the infamous ground loop. While I'm feeding everything into a Burmester 648 power conditioner and that should't be an issue, you never know. I'll play and see what happens.

After that ( which I have to try but I don't believe is the culprit ), I'll have to address rack placement. A much more probable cause for the noise. My rack is very busy with a lot of stuff, and placement could very well be the issue.

I'll do some playing around and see what happens.

Cheers,                      Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #13 - 10/12/16 at 03:31:15

Hello Chris,
Tomorrow my wife goes to work and I don't, so I'll be able to get some serious playtime on my rig.

Moved the ZP3 around a bit, and the hum lowered some as I moved it. Didn't disappear entirely, but I think I know the culprit. (Amazon table PS directly under the ZP3 ). I'm going to rearrange the table and PS and the ZP3. Hopefully that will do it.

Got some other things going on ( NOS mint Shure V15 type lll with a Jico SAS stylus in route ). I'll report back on that also.

More to come as I dial it in.

Cheers,                         Crazy Bill

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #14 - 11/12/16 at 15:06:45

Bill- It's been a month, did the ZP3 get settled in ok? I had my usual Friday night vinyl listen with my buddy and played through some Pink Floyd, Refreshments (Roger Clyne) and a few others and just got totally lost in the music. My buddy loves coming over (next door) and listening, claims the whole systems is actually an art project but for the ears (also for the eyes, he loves the tubes glowing). What's new? Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #15 - 11/14/16 at 02:00:10

Hello Chris,
Don't get a chance to get much listening in, but there has been movement.
First, I did move the Amazon PS and the hum is still there, but not objectionable. Right now I'm spinning Leonard Cohen through my Stax rig ( still in mourning on his loss )and I cannot hear any hum while music is playing ( and the presentation is quite sublime, BTW ). I have not yet taken a stab at improving the set-up of the AT150MLX, as I don't have time. But the proper mint tractor is in house, and I'm hoping to get to it soon. I really want to get the AT as good as I can, as the Shure V15III is here with the Jelco SAS stylus, and I want to set up the AT properly before I change over to the Shure/SAS to compare.

I inquired about the cost of a new arm board for the Amazon/FR66s combo, and the importer jokingly said " don't ask ", but he actually wasn't joking. S I've decided to fashion my own arm board to mount the FR66s.

It's going to take time before I get that done, but I well eventually be able to do a comparison. I'm really hoping the FR66s is as good as the Moerch, or so close where I won't notice the difference if the Moerch goes.

The Moerch is VERY GOOD, but so is the FR66s. I haven't listened to the FR66s in over a year, so I can't even attempt to make any comparisons from memory.

Setting up the FR66s is a cakewalk compared to the Moerch. While the Moerch does have interchangeable arm tubes so you can change cartridges, it's no where as easy as the FR66s w/ interchangeable headshells.

I have a lot of mono records, so I would like to be able to get a real mono cartridge in the mix.

By no means Chris should you think of ever giving up on your FR64s. It IS a world class tonearm by all accounts. You should peruse the AUDIOGON forums as there is a great deal of info on the FR tonearms. Unless you're already familiar w/ that info, you can get even better performance from the FR.

Much more to go, but I've got to get up @ 0500 hrs. for work.

Ciao for now.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill   Cry

The cry emotive is for the loss of Leonard Cohen. If there are those of you out there unfamiliar w/ him, please do yourself a favor and get familiar.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/06/17 at 23:27:07

I'm using a 1978 Thorens 160mk2, an upgraded Mission 774 tonearm, upgraded with silver wire, cardas RCA connectors. A 2m black cartridge that suits the ZP3 very nice. The deck have been upgraded for less noise.

Was supposed to be just a cheap intro to vinyl... now I can't even consider selling it, way to much invested compared to selling value.. but no worries I like what I'm hearing. Somewhere down the line I want to try a VPI or Dr.Feickert or similar, but at the moment I can't defend the extra cost vs quality. Need more vinyl more.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #17 - 01/07/17 at 06:11:41

Jorgen- Enjoy what you have, it sounds like a wonderful rig. Too many people getting caught up in the gear and forgetting the music. We spend a wonderful evening listening to records, never once thinking what the hell the gear was. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 01/14/17 at 05:37:12

Rega P5 with Groovetracer mods (spindle and counterweight); Dynavector 20X2L cart going into a Parks Audio budgie, then that goes into a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II.  Very, very happy with this setup.  I'm amazed with every record I play in my collection, which spans 40years of collecting.  In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm on my fifth hour of spinning vinyl.  This going into my Rachael and Omega speakers makes me a very happy Audiophile. Smiley

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #19 - 01/14/17 at 22:46:22

Just ordered this
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-classic-3-rosewood-turntable.shtml
I am replacing my 80's vintage Sota.
I called Sota Friday to enquire about there new stuff but no answer and no call back so I ordered what I couldn't stop thinking about.
Hope I like it.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #20 - 01/15/17 at 15:48:12

Sonic- Nice looking table, let us know your impression when it arrives. What cartridge are you putting on it? Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/15/17 at 16:05:34

That is the exact table at the top of my dream list. Make sure to post impressions, a true work of art. Also very curious about your cart as well.

JD

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #22 - 01/15/17 at 16:53:01

I will be using a 2M black.
I hope some day to try a moving coil but I would need the ZMC also to do that and I have totally shot my audio funds for a while.
New table should be here this week.
This was my dream table also.
I am glad I was able to get the Rosewood because once they are gone I guess they won't be making them anymore and there are apparently only a few left according to soundstage direct.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #23 - 01/19/17 at 19:07:40

Does anyone else HATE UPS!
I have never ending issues with them, from destroyed shipments left in the driveway in the snow and rain when I have a covered porch one step up, sure they didn't want to let me know they were there, to broken abused equipment etc.
Last week they changed my delivery date three times and it needed a signature, not cool.
Now this week they forgot one of the packages from a multiple package shipment at the station, whoops, that also needs someone home to sign for it. I am sure we all can take time from work whenever it suits us so this is no problem right.
At least we can call customer support and let them tell us repeatedly how sorry they are and then say it will be there between 7am and 7 pm tomorrow, good window. So my new turntable will be here today and tomorrow, YAY!
Sorry had to vent before my head exploded.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 01/19/17 at 19:47:15

LOL...I feel your PAIN!  ;D Grin

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #25 - 01/21/17 at 15:45:16

The second part of my turntable arrived last night.
Stayed up until two in the morning setting it all up and was not able to spin an album because everyone was in bed of course and they still are even after my not so subtle attempts at making noise this morning, not too much don't want to anger the bear Wink
I am going to have to go in there soon and take my chances, cant wait much longer.

20170121_082540_resized.jpg

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #26 - 01/21/17 at 16:34:12

They are up!
First spin, Roxy Music Avalon.
The sound so far, Clear clean tight and full, lots of air and space in the music, music is all around me.
I have many new things at the same time, ZSTAGE, VPI, and new interconnects but the sum total seems to be working quite well.
Much better so far than where I was.
I really like the simplicity of my system with the TORII JR the ZSTAGE and the modded ZP3.
So incredibly clear and clean, I guess already said that.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #27 - 01/21/17 at 17:04:13

Sonic- Congrats !!! A beautiful looking table and rig. I always found that if I added something to the system and played some of Gigi's favorite music instead of some of my more ''esoteric'' taste I would get a warmer reception from her. Keep us posted on how things settle in. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/22/17 at 11:30:26

Sonic -

Congrats! Looks awesome, I bet it sounds incredible. Have you compared with and without the ZSTAGE?

I am starting with Thorens TD-150 > ZP3 > TORII JR > HR-1... deciding CSP3 or maybe just ZSTAGE...

Anyway, congrats and happy listening!

-Ron

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/22/17 at 14:37:06

Enjoy!

JD

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #30 - 01/22/17 at 17:09:28

Hey Sonic,  awesome looking system. I have a Zstage coming soon. Would love to hear your thoughts on how it impacts your system. What cart do you have in the TT?
acetone

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #31 - 01/22/17 at 18:30:27

Ortofon 2M black

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #32 - 01/22/17 at 18:32:30

Acetone go to the ZSTAGE section for my impressions.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #33 - 01/27/17 at 03:03:41

Just picked up a new London Decca Super Gold cartridge for my custom wood Radgear turntable. It will be affixed to my Tri Art Audio TA-2 uni-pivot dampened tonearm.  

Once I get it and install it I will report back for anyone interested in Decca phono cartridges.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/28/17 at 15:52:25

I thought I'd point out that a Rega RP6 with Exact II cart is for sale on audiogon.  I use a black one that I paid  $1500 plus $50 shipping for.  My only question for the seller would be how much use has the cart had.  I haven't tweaked mine yet but it does a great job.  I might first buy the belt upgrade. Oh, lastly, I'd offer the seller less that he's asking  ;) Mark.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-rega-rp6-includes-cartridge-free-sh...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/30/17 at 10:18:23

Very interested in the sound of the Decca.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 02/18/17 at 23:37:00

Hi All! Finally posting for my Christmas present. Wife let me get a VPI Prime, now have probably 200 hrs on it.  Playing just about everything you can think of. FANTASTIC! My old table was Technics SL1200 which I bought in '93 and I thought was actually quite good.  But the Prime blows it out of the water and makes it sound like a child's toy. Using a ZP3 through a Torii 4 with a Soundsmith Zephyr 3 cart and just amazed! Crazy how good vinyl sounds even old used stuff.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/19/17 at 01:22:05

Quote:
My old table was Technics SL1200 which I bought in '93 and I thought was actually quite good.  But the Prime blows it out of the water and makes it sound like a child's toy.

Just curious, was that 1200 TT stock?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/19/17 at 05:12:53

Paul64,

Wow, you just went from SL1200 to a VPI Prime and I just sold my VPI Scout 1.1 with Soundsmith Zepher and bought a SL1200GAE with an Audio Technia ART9. As good as the Scout is the new SL1200GAE with ART9 blows it away. It looks like the old SL1200 but under the hood is another story, the coreless direct drive motor is dead quiet and consistent.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/19/17 at 18:52:10

ILance,

I'm excited for you with your GAE!   Cheesy

I've been following that TT on the Steve Hoffman Forum for a long time and others share your experience/enthusiasm.  I run a fully KAB modified (and a couple of my own) 1200 MK2 and I couldn't be happier -- well maybe with a GAE.   Wink  Funny thing is, ten years ago I had an order in on a Scout but I cancelled it to get the Technics!

The stock 1200s were, and still are fantastic TTs, but with a few weak points, such as tonearm wiring and power supply.  There might be a few things to try on your GAE that might bring it up even higher.  Tonearm damping and strobe disabling are two that come to mind; not sure about an outboard power supply given the new design.  Of course, even more TT isolation can never hurt.

I love the overall user simplicity and convenience of the Technics design too.  It gets me playing more music.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #40 - 02/19/17 at 21:46:20

Hey Archie.  My SL1200 is stock except I did add the tone arm dampening trough and also upgraded the feet....but neither made a big impact. Last few years I have looked at rewiring the whole table but decided against that route and went with the Prime instead.  Not knocking the original SL1200 but the Prime in my system was an amazing upgrade and no regrets. Lots of great turntables out there for sure!

Regards,
Paul

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/19/17 at 22:02:02

Paul,

I've thought on TT design a bit and I've wondered what makes a good TT vs. not so good.  I think if vibration (internal and external) is eliminated and the speed is maintained true and constant then most of the battle is over.  Most of KAB's mods seem to deal with electrical interference.  My 1200 is heavily modified and hopefully outperforms a stock table.  What I guess is most impressive is what it takes to beat a stock 1200, which were selling in the range $500 when discontinued.  Even Technics gets $4k for the 1200G that they replaced the 1200 with.

I've not heard a bad thing about the VPI Prime table!  I'm not familiar with the cart you are using.  Is it a MI, MM or MC?  I did get a nice lift when I went MC last year.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 02/19/17 at 23:37:20

When I bought my 1200 in 1993 I paid $295.  Definitely a steal and thoroughly worth it. I think those days are over when a company can produce a million units and thus keep the price down for a high quality audio component.

I think you are asking about the cart I'm using on my Prime...it's a MI...2mV output.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/20/17 at 01:20:40

Paul,

What phono stage and amp do you have?  Do you use a preamp?  Wondering because of a recent discussion on what works with the ZP3.

I think you cold sell the 1200 now for twice what you paid!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 03/28/17 at 00:59:27

Here is Michael Fremer's recent review of the new Technics 1200G TT.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/technics-direct-drive-sl-1200g-turntable#hxM...

He liked it a lot.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Midnight
Verified Member

Reply #45 - 04/07/17 at 22:15:56

Technics SL-1200MK2 2008 Black w/ Ortofon Concorde Night Club Cartridge + Stylus

IP Logged
Victor S
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 11/22/17 at 14:45:22

I have a ClearAudio Concept with Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge with Clearaudio phono. Smiley

Does anybody use the Decware Gain Stage connected to a Turntable?

Regards

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 11/22/17 at 16:18:50

Victor,

I use a CSP3 after my TT which I think would be considered a Decware Gain Stage.  It adds density, that I like.  Also, it boosts the signal going into my amp so I get the full volume potential.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #48 - 11/22/17 at 16:38:07

Similarly, I use the Ultra preamp after my phono stage for added gain with the benefits that Archie mentioned.  The ZSTAGE would add nice tube-based gain, but would not have the same level of "tube love" and sonic benefits of say a CSP3.  If you are simply looking for additional, neutral gain without mucking up the signal, the ZSTGE would be a fantastic addition.  I have one myself, and have placed it after my phono stage when I was running everything off my ZSB to my ZMA directly.  It performs excellently.  Shortly after purchasing my ZSTAGE I decided to insert my Ultra ahead of the ZMA and that is where my system currently stands.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 11/22/17 at 22:45:03

Thorens 145, all stock. Hagerman Labs Bugle phono stage that sounds pretty good, I guess. I built it from the kit until I decide if I like vinyl enough to get a ZP3. Would love Dave Archambault at Vinyl Nirvana to work his magic on the TT to see what difference it makes. I have lots of good old vinyl that I took good care of since high school. I usually listen to high res streaming on Tidal.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 11/23/17 at 07:24:28

I have three.

Two old Dual and one Technics.

Honestly I listen to the one with the lowest "ratings" most often.

It is a direct drive, semi-automatic Dual from the early '80s.
I had to add some car door deadening material to its innards to keep the low frequency feedback from annoying me after I discovered real low frequencies.

I intend to upgrade my pre-amp, before I even consider looking at any other turntables.
They all work well.

IP Logged
Victor S
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 11/24/17 at 07:18:08

Thank you Archie and Jeff Smiley

IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 11/27/17 at 16:26:12

I have a VPI Scout 1.1 with an Ortofon Quintet Bronze. Phono stage is Aqvox Phono 2Ci mk ll, running balanced.

IP Logged
trusturears
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 12/01/17 at 01:41:34

Rega RP6 w/Exact 2

RegaPlanet; UFO2; BlumensteinOrca; CaintuckBetsy; RegaRP6w/ExactII; Naim Stageline, NDX, 282/200, OvatorS400; HarbethCompact7ES2
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 12/01/17 at 01:50:35

Nottingham Interspace w/ heavy platter, modified Rega RB300 arm and Dynavector 20x2 LO cartridge.  I have this paired with a Dynavector P75MKII phono preamp and iFi Micro iTube2 Tube Buffer/Pre-Amplifier (just use the buffer setting).

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #55 - 12/06/17 at 02:26:21

I have already replied to this post but I have two photos I'd like to share.
The VPI Scout Master with some White vinyl playing. My youngest daughter bought her first LP  :).
 The next photo is the Grado Sonata v2 I just installed

SM_12517_800x389.jpg

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #56 - 12/06/17 at 02:31:30

Photo of the Grado Sonata V2

Sonata_v2_800x450_001.jpg

IP Logged
jmain
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 05/18/18 at 16:32:30

Upgraded AR XA here.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 06/05/18 at 23:21:51

I have a Dual 1229 and a Thoren's TD-124. I just acquired a ebony Yamamota wooden headshell and would appreciate cartridge suggestions for the Thorens. It currently has a Audio Technica cartridge although I don't know which one that sounds pretty good to me. I have a Goldring 10-20 that was given to me that doesn't have a stylus. I hesitate to by a $300 stylus not knowing if the cartridge is good or not. Is there anyway to tell?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 06/05/18 at 23:56:50

I think the part that wears out is the stylus and suspension which are both part of what you'd be replacing.  The cartridge windings should be fine.

If you want to stay with moving magnet carts, the Ortofon Black or OM40 are both excellent.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 06/06/18 at 01:00:45

Thanks, I'm not to well versed in cartridge knowledge.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #61 - 06/06/18 at 08:31:11

Showme,
Great question and very universal concern.  However, I feel that in order for us to best advise, it would be helpful to know what genre of music you hold to the highest, and what aural attributes are most appealing.  Cartridges are as unique as people.  There are a ton of folks on this forum that are extremely pleased with the cartridges they have adopted, but that does not guarantee success in your vinyl rig based on what you may tend to covet when it comes to sound quality.

What is the majority makeup, genre-wise, of your current vinyl collection?

What sound attributes are most important? (transparency, dynamics, treble sparkle, bass, etc)

I have gone through too many cartridges before realizing that I need to better define some things before engaging in a more focused, purposeful search for the right cartridge.

Jeff

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 06/06/18 at 14:33:51

Jeff thanks for your response. I'll try to address a few of the questions. The two systems that have turntables both use Marantz receivers. A 2325 and a 2230. I'm 72 and so I listen to a lot of older music. I'm not too avant garde. Nora Jones, Boz Scaggs, Chris Isaak, Dire Straits etc. I wish I knew more about addressing your questions than I do but maybe that's a start. My other two rigs are tube amp setups with out turntables. One is a Zen with Betsy's playing CD's and streaming Tidal the other is a Scott 299D just playing CD's along with a tuner.

IP Logged
Carol
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 07/09/18 at 11:19:21

Rega Rp3

rega.jpg
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #64 - 07/24/18 at 02:07:06

Hello all,
A lot has happened since the original musings about the Amazon Grand Referenz/ Moerch DP8 combo. Tried the Fidelity Research FR66S on that table, and to my ears, a slight improvement over the Moerch. Though I could easily see others preferring the Moerch. A taste preference, if you will.

Both the Moerch and FR66s are gone now. A new king has arrived.

I have a 12 inch Riggle Universal Woody tonearm mounted on the Amazon Grand Referenz, using the AT 150MLX. This is, without a doubt, the absolute best and most natural and realistic music reproduction I have ever heard. Listening to an early first pressing Island pink rim Traffic " John Barleycorn Must Die ", I am completely lost and immersed.
I'm done.

Cheers,                        Crazy Bill

IP Logged
out-of-step
Verified Member

Reply #65 - 09/13/18 at 19:01:30

An early Well Tempered 'Table. They use silicone suspension instead of bearings. On the down sides, set up is unorthodox and dampening is via fluid level so one may never be satisfied it's set up 'perfectly', it's tricky moving them (fluid again), the arm wiring seems no heavier than a hair so pins will almost certainly break off when you remove a cart and the original matte black finish can wear right off. On the plus side, I find the sound quality excellent with the right cart. It's remarkably free of resonances and about as quiet a 'table as can be had. Looks like this one (not my photo) but the motor block on mine is square:

X
Decware CSP2+ + ZMF Atticus or Sennheiser HD-600 - SEC84C+ + Trapeziums - Pioneer 79DVi or Schiit Bifrost Multibit - WTT + Soundsmith Othello + Schiit Mani - DAG - DHC1s - BJC 10 white - IS500 isolator - Feline Gain Limiter
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #66 - 10/22/18 at 22:16:52

I've got a MoFi StudioDeck with DL-103R cart.  I love it! It's got one little quirk with regards to VTA, but what do you expect for rev. 1.  Nothing a custom headshell shim couldn't fix.

IMG_0019.jpg
  IP Logged
BBM3
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 12/23/18 at 04:18:45

Rega P1 sitting on three Vibrapod model 2's, a Silicone platter mat, and  a 13oz clamp / weight. Great sounding for a very low budget.

IP Logged
Analogue1
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 12/23/18 at 20:37:00

AR XA with a Denon DL 103 MC cartridge.  Love the classic look and the Made in USA sound.

IP Logged
Analogue1
Verified Member

Reply #69 - 12/23/18 at 20:43:18

Also a VPI Cliffwood with stock Grado Green VPI MI cartridge
It's fairly new so I'm still out on how much I like its sound.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/04/19 at 21:47:54

This is my front end set up that's delivering the goods to the Decware amps. Very nice it is too ! Well engineered piece of kit. Smiley

IP Logged
urbino
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 02/08/22 at 04:07:01

Hi, all.

Mine's a Michell GyroDec SE.  I got it secondhand from a guy who was selling it because his cats couldn't stop swatting the platter weights as they spun.  [smiley=lolk.gif]

I've had it about 10 years or so.  Haven't felt a desire to upgrade, so far.

Michell GyroDec SE w/ Sumiko Celebration II \ E.A.T. E-Glo Petit phono \ McIntosh C49 \ McIntosh MC152 (on the list for a Torii V) \ HiFi Rose RS250 \ Denafrips Pontus II \ Tannoy Stirling GR \ REL T9i (pair)
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 02/27/22 at 00:42:20

The zombie thread is back - cheers.

My main rig is simple - Pioneer PLX-1000 with a Ortofon 2M Black, herbies mat into a ZP3 with a range of NOS tubes. Sounds lovely - and a HUGE improvement over my previous Pro-ject table.

God bless direct drive tables Smiley.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Richie_C
Verified Member

Reply #73 - 03/16/22 at 01:12:51

Rega RP10 w Alpheta cart (MC) into Rega Aria Phono

IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #74 - 03/16/22 at 01:26:07

SME 10 with SME V arm and Lyra Kleos cart.
Had the table for 14yrs, arm for 26yrs, no desire to change.
Had a Pink Triangle Anniversary before the SME 10 but it got trashed on the move to the USA.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 03/16/22 at 02:58:57

Sota Nova VI Walnut table, Jelco 950 arm, Dynavector 20X2H cart.

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #76 - 03/17/22 at 03:36:36

Maplenoll Athena (air bearing) arm and 'table. Sumiko Pearwood cartridge.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/21/22 at 12:55:41

1978 JVC QL-F4 with Ortofon 2M Bronze. Mid range for the time. Steady as a rock. Earmarked for a new plinth, tonearm and output wire, and isolation. When time permits.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Jeffrey S
Verified Member

Reply #78 - 03/27/22 at 22:26:44

I have a simple setup.

TEAC TN-300 > Ortofon 2M Blue > Schiit Mani

Not too fancy but it serves me well.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #79 - 04/16/22 at 22:53:06

Been living with Schiit SOL. You 'learn a lot' with a TT like this.

P4160002.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #80 - 08/30/22 at 00:09:36

As stated in my previous post, I am learning the do's and don'ts one at a time. My old house unsteady floors as shown by record skips when i walk in certain areas around the TT. Wall mount was a great idea, and I believe that I like the sound a little better. No, there were not Vast Improvements before and after, but i did solve one problem and that satisfies me.

P1010001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 12/17/22 at 12:38:31

Continuing this thread....I was looking into vintage TTs (Linn, SOTA, Thorens) but I ended up getting a Thorens 1600 (demo) at less than half the retail price at a local store.  MC ATOC9XEN cartridge and phono stage is Musical Fidelity M6 Vinyl.  Paired with audiophile vinyl, this TT is on the same level if not better than my Holo May KTE!  I am looking at the Hana ML moving coil cartridge as an upgrade.  I have seen great reviews on the Hana ML.  Anyone have any personal experience they can share?
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 12/21/22 at 23:59:43

4K, how do like the Sol TT? I've used Schiit components in the past, and was intrigued by the Sol when it released. I believe Shiit subsequently made changes to the Sol based user feedback?

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #83 - 12/23/22 at 20:07:15

Well, compared to previous TT's the SOL ranks at #2. I had owned a VPI Scout years ago with Grado Sonata cart. It was great in every respect. The SOL however is neck and neck with that combination. I am using an AT95SM?, I forget but it isn't a very expensive cart at $200. I know that there is more to be had with maybe a better cart alignment or even a different cartridge. I have checked the SOL for speed accuracy and it is dead on.
Now fortunately, the SOL that I got had every improvement that Schiit had to offer through the feedback process. Having said that, there were 3 things that I dealt with. Most importantly, was the cueing mechanism dropped the stylus about mid way down! It was simple fix after I figured out the hang up with the cueing lobe. Then I dealt with the power switch that was on the back of the TT. Bad place for it. Made switch box and the problem was gone. I still have not dealt with the VTA adjustment that slips during adjustment! The cure will be to replace the stripped nylon gear with a brass one. Probably not going to be easy to find someone to do this for a decent price. Once the VTA is set though there is really no use for it.
I should also mention that I have wall mounted the TT with great results. It is that my wooden floor flexes slightly and the TT/arm doesn't do well with that. In short I would say that when things are made to be right this TT has great potential.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 10/24/23 at 21:17:08

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Rap

Reply #85 - 10/28/23 at 03:25:57

Have a few...
About 8 different types of Lencoīs the swiss made ones
Emt 938
Thorens 125 LB (also made by EMT)
Logic DM101

various arms and carts MC and MM

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #86 - 10/28/23 at 04:55:18

Rap, that's a lot of TT!

As a guy who has none, I am curious  - are all in use? Do different TT serve different functions? I'm not going to sleep tonight trying to figure this out.  :)

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #87 - 10/29/23 at 02:50:16

Hi Tony,

No not all in use, plan was to have 2 in use and rest are kind of accumulated. Lot of Lencoīs are spares and just plain couldnīt pass by Swiss-made TTīs for $20 at European fleamarkets few years back after thatīs itīs was case of "who passes up a pair of EMTīs for $200 and same for the Thorens TD124 LB, It is fun to restore them and get them running and compare them with each other, these are just the ones that never got moved on and maybe one day Iīll have the room and time to set up more of them... You do get to know a lot about the fundamentalīs of each TT drive systems, arms, carts ect and thatīs part of the fun.

Rap (not a hoarder of TTīs  [smiley=10.gif] )

hmm maybe I do need to seek some help....

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #88 - 10/29/23 at 23:34:56

Currently in use:

Thorens TD 124 in slate/panzerholz plinth, with Kuzma 4Pt9 and Ortofon MC Diamond cart

Thorens TD 124 in Moldovan birch plinth, with two tonearms. [1] SME 3009 S2 Imp with Koetsu Rosewood Signature; and [2] Moerch DP6 with Aidas Durawood Bee

Thorens TD 125 Mk II, original plinth, with SME 3009 S2 Imp and Clearaudio Charisma cart.

Thorens TD 150, with TP16a tone arm (IIRC) and Grado cart.

Project T1 (son’s room), with Ortofon 2M Bronze

Not in use at the moment

SOTA Sapphire, with Sumiko MMT arm
Thorens TD 160 BC Mk II, with ADC LMF 2 tone arm
Clearaudio Champion

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #89 - 10/31/23 at 18:36:21

I hope to have a ZP3 and SE84UFO2 delivered in November (fingers crossed as I near the two-year mark), which will be paired with my restored Marantz 6300, usually paired with a Denon DL-103 cart.  I"m using a Rogue RP-1 as a phono pre, a FIrst Watt J2 powering a set of Zu DW6 Supremes.  Curious to see how the J2 and Zen Triode differ, and the ZP3 vs. the Rogue for that matter.  I suspect the Marantz, despite its good looks, is probably the weak point in the chain and am looking forward to hearing some new tables at Capital Audiofest in a couple of weeks! The 6300 is a hold over from an all-vintage alternate system paired with a Marantz 1060 as phono/pre and a 140 amp driving Sansui SP-X9000 speakers (all restored).

Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > ZP3 > or Bluesond Node > SE84UFO2.1 > Zu DW6 Supremes & Rel T/5X w/ Pinetree Audio cables
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #90 - 10/31/23 at 19:39:28

One beautifully restored Thorens TD125. I can only hope my Torii and ZP3 can match the Paduak.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #91 - 10/31/23 at 21:09:15

Lon,

It is not every day I see a picture of a turntable and respond with "Beautiful.' Today I did.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #92 - 01/03/24 at 20:30:23

Thorens TD124 rebuilt by STS Turntables (Tenn.)
SME 3009 Imp rebuilt by SMETonearms (Canada)
Shure V15 Type III

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #93 - 01/03/24 at 22:39:06

Hello Travel,
I also use a Shure V15lll, preferring it to every other cartridge I've tried, including much more expensive MC types.

What stylus do you use. I've got a JICO SAS on mine. It completely trounces the stock stylus, and the one I have is mint.

Cheers,                     Crazy Bill

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 01/04/24 at 00:48:35

Another fan of the Shure V15III here. I am currently using a JICO elliptical on mine. I have several carts I use, but this is my primary cart. Tracks wonderfully and always sounds good.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #95 - 01/04/24 at 01:23:24

I've just recently replaced my stylus with a Jico SAS, and yes it sounds excellent.

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 01/04/24 at 17:08:35

Acoustic Signature Maximus NEO, ViV Lab Ridged Float 9", Hana ML, Herbies GrungeBuster mat and Wave Kinetics W8.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #97 - 02/07/24 at 01:45:22

Linn LP12 that was about 20 years or more old, I bought it and within a week motor failed and the board, took out to a Linn specialist downtown Chicago and $6,000 later its working great
Completely upgraded

Have say I think it was worth it

IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #98 - 02/07/24 at 01:47:20

Linn LP12 that was about 20 years or more old, I bought it and within a week motor failed and the board, took out to a Linn specialist downtown Chicago and $6,000 later its working great
Completely upgraded

Have say I think it was worth it

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print