Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:21:11 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What kind of turntable do you have? (Read 10641 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

What kind of turntable do you have?
07/12/16 at 15:58:33

I have a Pro-ject 2.1, I think with a Grado needle.
I've been looking around for a new turntable and I'm kinda leaning towards a VPI Scout.

What about you?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: What kind of turntable do you have?
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 16:42:53

Matchstikman,

I had a Scout on order 9 years ago when I came across Kevin at KAB.  He convinced me that one of his modified Technics would be a better option and I've never regretted it.  I am currenly rinning an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b MC cart with a ZMC1 and it really sings!

Technics is currently releasing a new 1200 that has been improved and seems to be phenomenal without any modifications  People are putting it up against TTs far above the Scout level.  Or, KAB is still modifying original 1200s.

Worth a look.  You can call Kevin too.  He is very accessible, like Steve.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/16 at 02:19:33

Rega Rp3. This is my first and only TT so I do t have much to compare but it did outperform the Rp1 significantly in my opinion.

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/13/16 at 03:59:40

Rega RP3 and I upgraded to an Exact2 cartridge, the TTPSU and all the Groovetracer upgrades including the Delrin platter. Very happy!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #4 - 07/14/16 at 15:51:43

I currently have a VPI Scout Master. Before that I had a VPI HW-19 and a Systemdek IIX. Going from the Systemdek to the HW-19 was a big change. The VPI was much quieter. The Systemdek had a very low level rumble that I did not notice until I went with the VPI.

VPI are built like tanks and are upgradable.
You may have a hum problem with the Grado since they are not shielded.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/16 at 13:05:50

i like my vintage Sota's.
currently a star sapphire, sme309, pulseR mc, zp3, zmc1.
since i got me zmc1 (final piece) i listen to vinyl 95% of time.  

have my previous sapphire for sale.  great setup just not a vacuum table.
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649238000-sota-sapphire-series-iii/

i'll let it go for $900 plus shipping.  it's plug and play.  and i have the original box to ship it in (very important with these).
its got an optional cast arm board, with oe rega rb 303 with techno weights (including optional xl for heavy carts). also has rega vta adapter.  cart is a grado 8mz.

only thing wrong are the hairline cracks in the dust cover and you cant even see them unless your right on them.

anyway just a thought.  it's a soid table for a very fair price (avg in lesser condition/arm/cart sell for $1100 - 1400).

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 07/17/16 at 15:16:56

I have a Sota Star Saphire vacuum, Fidelity Research FR-64 and a Shinon Red low output MC. The Sota table is an amazing piece of engineering and completely dead quiet with regards to any acoustical feedback. I cannot see ever changing out my table/arm but  a new cartridge is in my sights after I get my bike back from my mechanic. Let us know what you settle on, lots of great used gear out there since Sony gave us Perfect Sound so many years ago….ha, ha. Happy Listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/16 at 14:10:16

I've got the Marantz TT 15S1.  It's a great bargain table made by Clearaudio that comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso.  The cart is easily half the value of the price.

After upgrading the Virtuoso with a Soundsmith level 3 upgrade I jumped into a Lyra Delos and added a Bob's SUT to feed into my MM phono input.  The table part of the setup is now the weakest link.

I plan to buy a retirement table in a couple of years, likely to something from VPI.  I like their product strategy and ability to replace anything if needed.  If I pulled the trigger today it would likely be the Prime with 3D printed arm.  My Lyra Delos is a recommended cart on their website.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
samb0357
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/16 at 03:39:38

AR XA, Elac Miracord 50H, Dual 1019, Garrard Lab 80 & Pioneer PL-6A.

They've all been restored, and in the case of the XA, lightly modified. And they all sound great.

I've owned previously tables from VPI and Music Hall, and while I enjoyed them, these tables are for more enjoyable.  They're as musical as any piece of gear that I've ever owned.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/30/16 at 09:52:33

Roksan Radius 5  with high def cable. Micro Benz LPs.
Yes, overkill with the Benz costing more than twice the Radius ( all bought new). After a good few MC carts, always different manufacturers, I decided on a cart irregardless of common wisdom. That is, similar money for cart & TT. I wanted a cart to match the amps performance....music in music out ( the ZP3 impacted me ). And it`ll be future proof. The Roksan is stable, and musical. I`ve had it for, must be 7,8 years. We`ve been through a lot and seen gear come and go albeit at a slow pace. All good....
Now the arm, the Nima, makes up half the value of the Radius. Lovely arm, good looker as well, and a uni-pivot.
One thing about the Benz is it looks and feels like a nice lump, made of a dense wood. Ebony.
lol this cart is ...heavy, very heavy. The counterweight on the Nima will happily fall off the back of the stub and still be nowhere near countering the Benz. I have silver coronation 1/2 crown under the c/weight with a silicon tube damper wrapped around them both to find the balance which is still a ways back.
I`m getting the best sound I`ve ever had but this time next year I shall have a new deck. Time to let the Roksan off of the heavy lifting and get a new deck which will take things to the next level with a confident stride.  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #10 - 10/07/16 at 01:25:18

Hello all,
Got a new ZP3 in house, and a new table and arm, so I thought I'd post some very early impressions.

Old table that was replaced ( and soon on the chopping block ) was a Feickert Blackbird. Great table. I used it with the 12 inch Jelco that came with it, and my Fidelity Research FR66s. While we all know aural memory is nothing to rely on, this set-up did things I don't ever recall my VPI Aries MK1 doing. Really great analog set-up. Was completely happy, with no thought of ever changing anything.

Then a great deal on a really upper crust table fell into my lap that I could not turn down. I've got the new Amazon Grand Referenz table here, and I mounted a Moerch DP8 on it. Right now, since I'm using the ZP3, I'm using an Audio Technica AT150MLX, as it's the only high output cartridge I have. I've got some microphone input transformers in house that I'll eventually wire up so I can put my Midas bodied Denon DL103r and Koetsu Rosewood into play.

Until then, all I can say is that my vinyl rig is sounding sublime, and I know I'm no where near optimal set-up. I aligned the cartridge with my
MF Geodisc, and while its close, I know there's room for improvement. I ordered a Mint protractor, but Yip sent me the protractor for the 9 inch wand, and I've got the 12 inch version here. A new one shipped out today. After that arrives I'll attempt to really dial in the set-up.

The point of all this rambling is two-fold.

First, The Amazon Grand Referenz/Moerch DP8 combo is a significant step up from the Feickert/ Fidelity Research combo. I'm going to have to make an arm board to mount the Fidelity Research on the Amazon to compare to the Moerch. Should prove interesting.

Second, while I've got some hum in the ZP3 I've got to track down, there is something going on here that is hard to describe. I guess the best way to put it is that I get totally lost in the music. I put a record on, lower the arm, and the next thing I know is the side is done, I'm lifting the arm, and I've got a smile on my face and no recollection of the details of the music. Just lost.

Will have to compare the ZP3 to my Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 w/ SE+ upgrades and see what gives. But based upon my memories of the SF, and what I hear from the ZP3, I don't expect the SF will stay in the mix long.

More to follow,

Cheers,                 Crazy Bill           Smiley

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 10/07/16 at 12:06:26

Bill- Very nice update and congrats on the score of the table. The hum I had when I installed our ZP3 ended up just being related to where it was located in the rack. A little re-arranging and then silence….except for music. Keep us posted and I really want to hear about the tone arm comparison, I still like my FR64S. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #12 - 10/08/16 at 04:40:44

hdrider,

thanks for the insight.
The first thing I'll try is obviously the infamous ground loop. While I'm feeding everything into a Burmester 648 power conditioner and that should't be an issue, you never know. I'll play and see what happens.

After that ( which I have to try but I don't believe is the culprit ), I'll have to address rack placement. A much more probable cause for the noise. My rack is very busy with a lot of stuff, and placement could very well be the issue.

I'll do some playing around and see what happens.

Cheers,                      Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #13 - 10/12/16 at 03:31:15

Hello Chris,
Tomorrow my wife goes to work and I don't, so I'll be able to get some serious playtime on my rig.

Moved the ZP3 around a bit, and the hum lowered some as I moved it. Didn't disappear entirely, but I think I know the culprit. (Amazon table PS directly under the ZP3 ). I'm going to rearrange the table and PS and the ZP3. Hopefully that will do it.

Got some other things going on ( NOS mint Shure V15 type lll with a Jico SAS stylus in route ). I'll report back on that also.

More to come as I dial it in.

Cheers,                         Crazy Bill

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #14 - 11/12/16 at 15:06:45

Bill- It's been a month, did the ZP3 get settled in ok? I had my usual Friday night vinyl listen with my buddy and played through some Pink Floyd, Refreshments (Roger Clyne) and a few others and just got totally lost in the music. My buddy loves coming over (next door) and listening, claims the whole systems is actually an art project but for the ears (also for the eyes, he loves the tubes glowing). What's new? Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #15 - 11/14/16 at 02:00:10

Hello Chris,
Don't get a chance to get much listening in, but there has been movement.
First, I did move the Amazon PS and the hum is still there, but not objectionable. Right now I'm spinning Leonard Cohen through my Stax rig ( still in mourning on his loss )and I cannot hear any hum while music is playing ( and the presentation is quite sublime, BTW ). I have not yet taken a stab at improving the set-up of the AT150MLX, as I don't have time. But the proper mint tractor is in house, and I'm hoping to get to it soon. I really want to get the AT as good as I can, as the Shure V15III is here with the Jelco SAS stylus, and I want to set up the AT properly before I change over to the Shure/SAS to compare.

I inquired about the cost of a new arm board for the Amazon/FR66s combo, and the importer jokingly said " don't ask ", but he actually wasn't joking. S I've decided to fashion my own arm board to mount the FR66s.

It's going to take time before I get that done, but I well eventually be able to do a comparison. I'm really hoping the FR66s is as good as the Moerch, or so close where I won't notice the difference if the Moerch goes.

The Moerch is VERY GOOD, but so is the FR66s. I haven't listened to the FR66s in over a year, so I can't even attempt to make any comparisons from memory.

Setting up the FR66s is a cakewalk compared to the Moerch. While the Moerch does have interchangeable arm tubes so you can change cartridges, it's no where as easy as the FR66s w/ interchangeable headshells.

I have a lot of mono records, so I would like to be able to get a real mono cartridge in the mix.

By no means Chris should you think of ever giving up on your FR64s. It IS a world class tonearm by all accounts. You should peruse the AUDIOGON forums as there is a great deal of info on the FR tonearms. Unless you're already familiar w/ that info, you can get even better performance from the FR.

Much more to go, but I've got to get up @ 0500 hrs. for work.

Ciao for now.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill   Cry

The cry emotive is for the loss of Leonard Cohen. If there are those of you out there unfamiliar w/ him, please do yourself a favor and get familiar.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/06/17 at 23:27:07

I'm using a 1978 Thorens 160mk2, an upgraded Mission 774 tonearm, upgraded with silver wire, cardas RCA connectors. A 2m black cartridge that suits the ZP3 very nice. The deck have been upgraded for less noise.

Was supposed to be just a cheap intro to vinyl... now I can't even consider selling it, way to much invested compared to selling value.. but no worries I like what I'm hearing. Somewhere down the line I want to try a VPI or Dr.Feickert or similar, but at the moment I can't defend the extra cost vs quality. Need more vinyl more.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #17 - 01/07/17 at 06:11:41

Jorgen- Enjoy what you have, it sounds like a wonderful rig. Too many people getting caught up in the gear and forgetting the music. We spend a wonderful evening listening to records, never once thinking what the hell the gear was. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 01/14/17 at 05:37:12

Rega P5 with Groovetracer mods (spindle and counterweight); Dynavector 20X2L cart going into a Parks Audio budgie, then that goes into a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II.  Very, very happy with this setup.  I'm amazed with every record I play in my collection, which spans 40years of collecting.  In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm on my fifth hour of spinning vinyl.  This going into my Rachael and Omega speakers makes me a very happy Audiophile. Smiley

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #19 - 01/14/17 at 22:46:22

Just ordered this
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-classic-3-rosewood-turntable.shtml
I am replacing my 80's vintage Sota.
I called Sota Friday to enquire about there new stuff but no answer and no call back so I ordered what I couldn't stop thinking about.
Hope I like it.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #20 - 01/15/17 at 15:48:12

Sonic- Nice looking table, let us know your impression when it arrives. What cartridge are you putting on it? Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/15/17 at 16:05:34

That is the exact table at the top of my dream list. Make sure to post impressions, a true work of art. Also very curious about your cart as well.

JD

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #22 - 01/15/17 at 16:53:01

I will be using a 2M black.
I hope some day to try a moving coil but I would need the ZMC also to do that and I have totally shot my audio funds for a while.
New table should be here this week.
This was my dream table also.
I am glad I was able to get the Rosewood because once they are gone I guess they won't be making them anymore and there are apparently only a few left according to soundstage direct.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #23 - 01/19/17 at 19:07:40

Does anyone else HATE UPS!
I have never ending issues with them, from destroyed shipments left in the driveway in the snow and rain when I have a covered porch one step up, sure they didn't want to let me know they were there, to broken abused equipment etc.
Last week they changed my delivery date three times and it needed a signature, not cool.
Now this week they forgot one of the packages from a multiple package shipment at the station, whoops, that also needs someone home to sign for it. I am sure we all can take time from work whenever it suits us so this is no problem right.
At least we can call customer support and let them tell us repeatedly how sorry they are and then say it will be there between 7am and 7 pm tomorrow, good window. So my new turntable will be here today and tomorrow, YAY!
Sorry had to vent before my head exploded.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 01/19/17 at 19:47:15

LOL...I feel your PAIN!  ;D Grin

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #25 - 01/21/17 at 15:45:16

The second part of my turntable arrived last night.
Stayed up until two in the morning setting it all up and was not able to spin an album because everyone was in bed of course and they still are even after my not so subtle attempts at making noise this morning, not too much don't want to anger the bear Wink
I am going to have to go in there soon and take my chances, cant wait much longer.

20170121_082540_resized.jpg

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #26 - 01/21/17 at 16:34:12

They are up!
First spin, Roxy Music Avalon.
The sound so far, Clear clean tight and full, lots of air and space in the music, music is all around me.
I have many new things at the same time, ZSTAGE, VPI, and new interconnects but the sum total seems to be working quite well.
Much better so far than where I was.
I really like the simplicity of my system with the TORII JR the ZSTAGE and the modded ZP3.
So incredibly clear and clean, I guess already said that.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #27 - 01/21/17 at 17:04:13

Sonic- Congrats !!! A beautiful looking table and rig. I always found that if I added something to the system and played some of Gigi's favorite music instead of some of my more ''esoteric'' taste I would get a warmer reception from her. Keep us posted on how things settle in. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/22/17 at 11:30:26

Sonic -

Congrats! Looks awesome, I bet it sounds incredible. Have you compared with and without the ZSTAGE?

I am starting with Thorens TD-150 > ZP3 > TORII JR > HR-1... deciding CSP3 or maybe just ZSTAGE...

Anyway, congrats and happy listening!

-Ron

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/22/17 at 14:37:06

Enjoy!

JD

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #30 - 01/22/17 at 17:09:28

Hey Sonic,  awesome looking system. I have a Zstage coming soon. Would love to hear your thoughts on how it impacts your system. What cart do you have in the TT?
acetone

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #31 - 01/22/17 at 18:30:27

Ortofon 2M black

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #32 - 01/22/17 at 18:32:30

Acetone go to the ZSTAGE section for my impressions.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #33 - 01/27/17 at 03:03:41

Just picked up a new London Decca Super Gold cartridge for my custom wood Radgear turntable. It will be affixed to my Tri Art Audio TA-2 uni-pivot dampened tonearm.  

Once I get it and install it I will report back for anyone interested in Decca phono cartridges.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/28/17 at 15:52:25

I thought I'd point out that a Rega RP6 with Exact II cart is for sale on audiogon.  I use a black one that I paid  $1500 plus $50 shipping for.  My only question for the seller would be how much use has the cart had.  I haven't tweaked mine yet but it does a great job.  I might first buy the belt upgrade. Oh, lastly, I'd offer the seller less that he's asking  ;) Mark.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-rega-rp6-includes-cartridge-free-sh...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/30/17 at 10:18:23

Very interested in the sound of the Decca.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 02/18/17 at 23:37:00

Hi All! Finally posting for my Christmas present. Wife let me get a VPI Prime, now have probably 200 hrs on it.  Playing just about everything you can think of. FANTASTIC! My old table was Technics SL1200 which I bought in '93 and I thought was actually quite good.  But the Prime blows it out of the water and makes it sound like a child's toy. Using a ZP3 through a Torii 4 with a Soundsmith Zephyr 3 cart and just amazed! Crazy how good vinyl sounds even old used stuff.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/19/17 at 01:22:05

Quote:
My old table was Technics SL1200 which I bought in '93 and I thought was actually quite good.  But the Prime blows it out of the water and makes it sound like a child's toy.

Just curious, was that 1200 TT stock?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/19/17 at 05:12:53

Paul64,

Wow, you just went from SL1200 to a VPI Prime and I just sold my VPI Scout 1.1 with Soundsmith Zepher and bought a SL1200GAE with an Audio Technia ART9. As good as the Scout is the new SL1200GAE with ART9 blows it away. It looks like the old SL1200 but under the hood is another story, the coreless direct drive motor is dead quiet and consistent.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/19/17 at 18:52:10

ILance,

I'm excited for you with your GAE!   Cheesy

I've been following that TT on the Steve Hoffman Forum for a long time and others share your experience/enthusiasm.  I run a fully KAB modified (and a couple of my own) 1200 MK2 and I couldn't be happier -- well maybe with a GAE.   Wink  Funny thing is, ten years ago I had an order in on a Scout but I cancelled it to get the Technics!

The stock 1200s were, and still are fantastic TTs, but with a few weak points, such as tonearm wiring and power supply.  There might be a few things to try on your GAE that might bring it up even higher.  Tonearm damping and strobe disabling are two that come to mind; not sure about an outboard power supply given the new design.  Of course, even more TT isolation can never hurt.

I love the overall user simplicity and convenience of the Technics design too.  It gets me playing more music.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #40 - 02/19/17 at 21:46:20

Hey Archie.  My SL1200 is stock except I did add the tone arm dampening trough and also upgraded the feet....but neither made a big impact. Last few years I have looked at rewiring the whole table but decided against that route and went with the Prime instead.  Not knocking the original SL1200 but the Prime in my system was an amazing upgrade and no regrets. Lots of great turntables out there for sure!

Regards,
Paul

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/19/17 at 22:02:02

Paul,

I've thought on TT design a bit and I've wondered what makes a good TT vs. not so good.  I think if vibration (internal and external) is eliminated and the speed is maintained true and constant then most of the battle is over.  Most of KAB's mods seem to deal with electrical interference.  My 1200 is heavily modified and hopefully outperforms a stock table.  What I guess is most impressive is what it takes to beat a stock 1200, which were selling in the range $500 when discontinued.  Even Technics gets $4k for the 1200G that they replaced the 1200 with.

I've not heard a bad thing about the VPI Prime table!  I'm not familiar with the cart you are using.  Is it a MI, MM or MC?  I did get a nice lift when I went MC last year.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 02/19/17 at 23:37:20

When I bought my 1200 in 1993 I paid $295.  Definitely a steal and thoroughly worth it. I think those days are over when a company can produce a million units and thus keep the price down for a high quality audio component.

I think you are asking about the cart I'm using on my Prime...it's a MI...2mV output.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/20/17 at 01:20:40

Paul,

What phono stage and amp do you have?  Do you use a preamp?  Wondering because of a recent discussion on what works with the ZP3.

I think you cold sell the 1200 now for twice what you paid!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 03/28/17 at 00:59:27

Here is Michael Fremer's recent review of the new Technics 1200G TT.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/technics-direct-drive-sl-1200g-turntable#hxM...

He liked it a lot.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Midnight
Verified Member

Reply #45 - 04/07/17 at 22:15:56

Technics SL-1200MK2 2008 Black w/ Ortofon Concorde Night Club Cartridge + Stylus

IP Logged
Victor S
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 11/22/17 at 14:45:22

I have a ClearAudio Concept with Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge with Clearaudio phono. Smiley

Does anybody use the Decware Gain Stage connected to a Turntable?

Regards

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 11/22/17 at 16:18:50

Victor,

I use a CSP3 after my TT which I think would be considered a Decware Gain Stage.  It adds density, that I like.  Also, it boosts the signal going into my amp so I get the full volume potential.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #48 - 11/22/17 at 16:38:07

Similarly, I use the Ultra preamp after my phono stage for added gain with the benefits that Archie mentioned.  The ZSTAGE would add nice tube-based gain, but would not have the same level of "tube love" and sonic benefits of say a CSP3.  If you are simply looking for additional, neutral gain without mucking up the signal, the ZSTGE would be a fantastic addition.  I have one myself, and have placed it after my phono stage when I was running everything off my ZSB to my ZMA directly.  It performs excellently.  Shortly after purchasing my ZSTAGE I decided to insert my Ultra ahead of the ZMA and that is where my system currently stands.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 11/22/17 at 22:45:03

Thorens 145, all stock. Hagerman Labs Bugle phono stage that sounds pretty good, I guess. I built it from the kit until I decide if I like vinyl enough to get a ZP3. Would love Dave Archambault at Vinyl Nirvana to work his magic on the TT to see what difference it makes. I have lots of good old vinyl that I took good care of since high school. I usually listen to high res streaming on Tidal.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print