04/19/24 at 08:58:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anti-skate weight (Read 3878 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Anti-skate weight
07/11/16 at 21:19:24

So, like everything else, I have an older Pro-ject turntable and a few months ago the anti-skate weight fell off it.  I ordered a new one.

However, I read online at a few places where people recommended getting rid of the weight.  I found an older LP for test purposes and tried the turntable without the weight.  It sounded really good.

So, keep it or lose it?

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Re: Anti-skate weight
Reply #1 - 07/11/16 at 22:18:47

HW from VPI doesn't think it is needed. My VPI Scoutmaster's arm doesn't have one. They will sell on to you if you feel the need to have one.
HW feels that Anti-skate correction is never correct across the LP and can do more harm if not applied properly.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Anti-skate weight
Reply #2 - 07/12/16 at 00:20:24

I recently tried to sort out the anti-skating and decided that it was good to have.  I have a KAB modified Technics 1200 that has a calibrated anti-skate dial on the tonearm.  I just set to my VTF.  I tried the technique of using the blank space near the label to set anti-skate in a neutral way but a stylus on smooth vinyl doesn't remotely approximate what goes on in a groove.  If you've done much Internet searching on anti-skate you'll know what I'm referring to.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print