Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:49:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CD Player vs CD Player only vs CD transport/DAC (Read 6504 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

CD Player vs CD Player only vs CD transport/DAC
06/30/16 at 15:47:16

I currently have a Modwright modified Sony CD player that I use as a transport with a Bel Canto DAC1.  The player is nearly 15 years old now.  I think it has problems.

Which will give me more bang for my buck?  An integrated universal CD player as only transport, a CD player that only plays CDs as transport, or a CD Transport only to use with the Bel Canto with the option of also upgrade the Bel Canto somewhere down the line?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: CD Player vs CD Player only vs CD transport/DAC
Reply #1 - 06/30/16 at 16:06:59

Depends on what you need. In my case I have to have a BluRay player so the Oppo Player is a great one box solution and a good value for everything it offers. CD, SACD, Hi Rez, BluRay and a quality DAC.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/30/16 at 21:50:03

My two cents: If you think the transport in your player is getting iffy, buy a disc player that can serve as a transport to the Bel Canto. . . and in time decide if you need or want a new DAC. It seems like the one you have is a good one. I wouldn't buy a Blu-ray player unless you plan on playing video and audio through your system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/16 at 22:24:37

Yes, the Bel Canto DAC1 is old but it sounds very good to me so I tend to agree, Lon, with your assessment.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/16 at 04:35:35

Matchstik, my 15 year old Sony ES CD player started to act up recently so I just ordered the Tascam CD-240 for $400. Steve likes the quality of this transport and DAC well enough to modify it for his Zen CD Player.
You could compare its own DAC with your Bel Canto.

I'm going to pair up my Tascam and its on-board DAC with the ZBIT.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/01/16 at 06:03:53

The Tascam CD-240 is on my short list along with the Cambridge CXC transport.  I sort of have to just get the scratch and flip a coin.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/16 at 11:55:50

Tommy, I have the Z bit and it works quite well.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #7 - 07/05/16 at 21:01:42

A few thoughts. Budget. When you buy separate units you are buying 2 power supplies, chassis, and you will need to split costs on interconnects and a digital interconnect, power cords etc. I did the transport DAC before going to a single player. The players I felt were good, the Levinson 39 and currently the Esoteric. I feel a better all in one player will also have a quality transport mechanism equal to the sum of the parts. I am a less is more type so one set of cables from player to the amp.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/06/16 at 02:00:10

Jeff1, good points.
I'm still in the air with what to get.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print