Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:45:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hum / noise from speakers (Read 8898 times)
DONZI
Verified Member

Hum / noise from speakers
06/16/16 at 13:54:22

Please understand this is not a Decware complaint. This is merely an observation. When I turn on my television I get a noise or hum out of my speakers. The SE84 is NOT ON when this happens. All components are plugged into a Furman line conditioner. Television is a two year old 60 plasma.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Hum / noise from speakers
Reply #1 - 06/16/16 at 13:59:50

I had the same problem whenever I had my DVR connected to the DAC in my system. It's a hum coming in the cable coax in my case. Was faint at my Westlake, OH location, really five times louder here in Chardon/Munson, OH. This device from amazon solved it, completely, with no sound quality detriment:

https://www.amazon.com/Viewsonics-VSIS-EU-Cable-Ground-Isolator/dp/B0017I3K9M/re...

If you have cable, this may cure your problem.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DONZI
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/16 at 22:04:09

I use a Schiit Bifrost DAC but all connections are either toslink or S/PIDF no coax cables. I am going to start pulling cables and see if I can further isolate the problem.

Thanks for a starting place to look and the quick reply.

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #3 - 06/18/16 at 04:45:29

Try plugging the SE84 directly into a wall socket instead of the Furman.  I read some place on the site that Steve suggests not using a power conditioner.  If you want to protect the SE 84 from line surges Steve suggests using an isolation transformer.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
DONZI
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/16 at 21:24:03

Living in South West Florida we are plagued with lightning strikes and frankly, I have way too much money tied up in equipment not to have it protected.

Will an isolation transformer protect my equipment from a lightning strike?

Google search fount this
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-Isolation-Transformer-250W-Surge-12...!

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #5 - 06/20/16 at 22:57:08

I'm not sure anything including the Furman will protect against a direct lightning strike.  You may want to check with Tripp Lite to see what they say.  Steve's paper on power cords is where he mentions isolation transformers.
https://www.decware.com/paper70.htm

I use a voltage regulator from APC that I directly plug my SE. 84 into.  I also plug a Tripp Lite surg supresser into the APC and then plug all of the SS gear into it.  The APC is plugged into the wall using a good quality commercial reseptical.  I have no hum with this setup.  

We don't get much lighting out here in the Pacific Northwest.

One last thing.  Tripp Lite makes two grades of isolation transformers.  On some  reviews of their standard ( black) transformer people have said that they here a low hum coming from the transformer itself.  Steve suggests using the hospital grade ( white ) one.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/16 at 01:12:39

My Hospital grade Tripp Lite hums.  I keep it in a cabinet so I don't hear it.  I spoke with Tripp Lite and the isolation transformers do offer surge protection but a direct lightning strike might fry anything and everything.  I've considered getting a meter based surge protector for my electric service but I haven't followed through.  I think it would do the whole house and they run a couple hundred dollars from the electric company.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print