Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:08:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steve, ZBOX for guitar? (Read 3061 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Steve, ZBOX for guitar?
06/04/16 at 20:39:37

I have an older ZBOX and it does a great job taking the edge off my CDs.  I was thinking, how about a ZBOX for guitar amps?   I have this transistor Fender amp.  It is tiny and sounds good but I'm thinking what would it sound like with a tube buffer before it hit the amp?

I did a search and I found this guy:

http://redironamps.com/buffer/

I'm interested in what it can do.

Steve, would a ZBOX do the same for a transistor guitar amp as it does for a CD player?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Steve, ZBOX for guitar?
Reply #1 - 06/04/16 at 20:50:53

For the price of this buffer or a ZBox doesn't it make more sense to get a real tube guitar amp?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/16 at 01:15:34

Well, Lon, it would make more sense but I already have the amp, so, there is that.  The Fender amp is tiny, 1x8.  I did replace the crappy Fender speaker in it and replaced it with a much better Celestion.  I take it when me when I visit my brother in Texas.  Plus, I have access to a Roland JC 120.   So, a tube buffer would come in handy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/05/16 at 04:05:41

Okay. Another consideration may be one of the Damage Control dual 12AX7 effects preamps, they have true bypass that adds a tubed preamp, and offer different distortion or effects arrays. I have a Liquid Blues Distortion and a Glass Nexus. They are not made any longer but are not at all impossible to find. They are very well made and give you that tubed preamp effect, serve as a master volume and fatten the tone.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print