04/25/24 at 18:20:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Morrow cables (Read 10372 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

New Morrow cables
05/29/16 at 21:37:34

Well another piece of the puzzle solved. I just replaced my original Blue Jeans ic's and speaker cables to Morrow MA4 I.c.'s and SP6 speaker cables and all I can say is WOW, yes cables DO make a big difference!!!  I'm hearing things from LP's that weren't even there before. I find myself turning my head at times like "what the heck was that?  That wasn't there yesterday..."  I'm amazed at how cables can bring new life into the music. Now, I have been into this hobby for only a few months and I can't vouch for other cables which I'm sure there's plenty of great ones out there but these Morrow cables are simply divine!  Things are just clearer and there's more separation in the music. I just can't imagine more than this but my ZP3 arrives in a few days so I'm guessing another jump of surrealism will be occurring with that upgrade. Yayyyyyy!!!!
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: New Morrow cables
Reply #1 - 05/29/16 at 21:44:41

Sounds great! I have some of the same cables and they will get better and better. I think those were the longest burnin cable I have tried, especially the SP6...even after having the factory burnin. Great now will get better!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/29/16 at 21:58:48

I couldn't agree more about the quality of Morrow cables. Like Will said, a very long breakin period but worth it. I've tried quite a few cables but they are top dog for me, although, I just purchased some XLRs for the new ZTpre coming soon and decided to try Cerious cables. There's a thread about them and Bob Grost on Audiogon. The Cerious interconnects are as good as the Morrow MA7s and a lot less money. I also got a power cord from Cerious and holy crap, the best I've ever heard but I don't have any Morrow PCs so can't compare. The CT cables were a nice discovery but I won't be getting rid of my Morrow cables.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/30/16 at 00:38:19

Will, I paid for the 10 day break in and was told they should be fully broke in when I get them but hey, if there's still more to come, that's a bonus! Grin
Oh and Lance, I did get a couple Graphene Extreme power cables from Cerious Technologies. The second one I bought is just hanging here waiting for the ZP3 when it arrives.
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/30/16 at 01:37:25

Rraymond,

Your cables are pretty well burned in with a 10 day cook. One thing the Morrow and the Cerious cables have in common is that when you move the cables they will need some time to settle in/breakin again. It just won't take as long as the initial breakin.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/30/16 at 18:08:25

10 days burnin sounds good. And maybe their method has gotten better. I was looking back at my notes on the SP4s I had first. I was struggling after they finally opened up... they just couldn't pull all I wanted down lower, and also lacked a little dynamic flow I was used to. Talking with the folks at Morrow, they thought that might get better once fully burned in. I had had the 5 day factory burnin, and it ended up taking a total close to 600 hours before I could not hear any more refinements. Finally the mid-bass/bass and dynamics limitations still made them too lean for my tastes.

The Morrow folks had recommended them for my system after I had expressed concerns over the SP4 being small compared to those I had previously used. And I was communicating with them on this issue and the long burnin. Unfortunately I messed up the timing and was not able to make the determination that they would not get where I needed until several days after the trial period ended. Then there was a weekend! So I was almost a week late when we finally talked.

He would not take them back, but did offer upgrading without more expense to some SP6 that had just been used in a show. I was surprised he would not take them back under the circumstances, but I liked the SP4 for the most part, and thought the SP6 should solve my issues, so was OK with this.

Knowing the slow burnin of the SP4, I just stuck them in my other system for 15 days. On top of the 250 or so they came with (including 5 days on their machine), that did it pretty well.

They did solve the problems I had with SP4, and I enjoyed them for a long time, better with my MKIV and HR-1s than any others I had tried to that point.

It has been a long time since I used them, but I recall the Morrows taught me how important solving smearing can be, and associated, I really like how defined and revealing they were without being too-too edgy, at least for me.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/30/16 at 19:08:18

So Will,
You said you haven't used he Morrow cables in a while?  Looks like you have some DIY cables now?  I take it you like your own DIY better than the Morrow?  It seems like no matter how good things may seem at the moment, there seems to be something that we want to tweak!...lol
Rick

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/30/16 at 21:18:23

Yes, I know the thing of there always being something that can help! It is amazing to me that no matter how good it gets, it can keep getting better!

Glancing through used gear, I found a good price on some Synergistic Research Element Copper with a trial period. I found them really compelling, they are so open and revealing, and you can adjust them with these little "bullets," shifting the tone and clarity to suit the room/system. They took "lucidity" to new levels here and I kept them.

Then I was messing around with some NOS Western Electric wire and liked aspects of it, especially after putting a few together to create more weight and bass depth, but they did not pull enough of the open transparency I had become accustomed to. So I started playing with WE wire combined with silver on copper I had around (like Morrow and others use) trying to pull out more micro detail and extension. It did that but it was a little hard sounding with the WE. I started to think of pure and soft silver, warmer and more musical, but still very revealing and ordered some.

Finally, I took a cue from Synergistic Research, where they use multiple wire types and sizes in "air dielectric," and after a lot of experiments, got some multi-wire cables I really love. I have the materials for phase two of the experiment, but am happy enough with these not to be in a hurry.

That said, the Morrow SP6 were nice cables here Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 05/31/16 at 19:23:01

I recently was complacent about my KS6063 speaker cables. I've used many wires........3033 (11 years) and KS3035 (1.5 years) too. Sold those.....but when I just recently considered selling my 6063's......I put 8TC back in the System.....then back to the 6063's: Deep Harmonic's, with more realism...off the charts. I only paid a couple of K for them. Retail at $5580.00.....above my pay grade. I will never sell them.....all other Cables sound broken.

So.......Cables matter....the metallurgy is not bullshit in Kimber's best of the best.

I have a NAD M51 coming! I gots ta' have a volume control, Coaxial Red Book + HDMI Blu-ray Audio through it.   Wink
......CSP3 stays.....that is must have into my ZMA.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/31/16 at 22:32:35

2K for cables?  Holy moly!!!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 06/01/16 at 04:45:49

$1470 in NOS 6922 Tube types too.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/01/16 at 12:56:59

Spend and enjoy. you can't take with you.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/01/16 at 13:58:52

Another very satisfied Morrow cable user here.  I have level 4 interconnects and phono cables all with Eichmann plugs, but will be needing another addition soon.  

I'll be moving into a new house with a new dedicated listening room.  This time I'll be able to put the rack on a side wall and open the space between my speakers.  I'll need either a long (15'?) interconnect and put my ZMA on a floor rack between the speakers or get some long speaker cables.  I'm thinking for this decision I might jump to the level 6 or 7 as my first step toward a gradual upgrade.  

I like Lance's "you can't take with you" mentality.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/01/16 at 14:56:46

ILance, I'm taking it with me in one way or another.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print