03/28/24 at 23:19:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 vs WO (Read 4556 times)
dwight202
Verified Member

WO32 vs WO
05/24/16 at 00:36:12

Been using a wicked one in my fab shop as a sub for a while so I decided to build a WO32 as proof of concept for production using my CNC router. I wrote code to dado the top and bottom panels 1/8" to contain the internal panels and the sides and also cut all the other panels and parts. Otherwise a strictly by plan build. As this was not meant to be anything other than a "test" box I went with the Dayton sd270a-88 10" subs. Fairly decent sub for a reasonable price. Well after completing the box and anticipating listening to the results I hooked it up and in the system by swapping the wires from the WO to the WO32 leaving all gains and settings the same. I use a DBX 24dB crossover at 70 Hz and run 100 Watts to each side from a "spare" Yamaha 7.1 HT receiver using the direct inputs. No equalization or bass boost. Levels carefully matched between sub and mains with test tones and calibrated mics. So yes, the first watt does suck, but so do the other 99. It is a shop system so I deal with it.

With the WO I have heard things that I never knew existed in recordings I have listened to for years and years. On one particular recording I was able to feel the air conditioning system rumbling. Telarc digital recording of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the incredible pipe organ in Utah. That was a revelation. On a live Billy Joel recording I heard a bass line that I never knew existed on that recording. Same with the test recording I always use to evaluate any system which is Jennifer Warnes "Joan of Arc".

Enough rambling on the WO. I was not expecting the smaller WO32 to perform as well as the WO which uses 12" infinity drivers. Well was I ever right about that. When I played the first selection I thought I accidentally had turned off the crossover or amp. Thin bass, no definition, no tone, basically the worse bass I had heard. Angry Not one to judge until I check out my construction I could find nothing wrong anywhere. As I continued to listen I stared to hear a few faint familiar things that the WO brought out. Then it happened. About 6 hours later driving the box at moderate levels with heavy bass material it hit me. I never believed in burn-in or break-in making any difference. Lesson learned this time. After 24 hours of constant playing I went to my test recordings. I have never heard anything like this. This box outperforms the WO and I heard things revealed that I never heard before. Bass lines that were so accurate and detailed that where I thought there was a single bass line I heard syncopated rhythms and tonality that was jaw dropping. And this is in my shop! Grin

So I had to do it. I set upon a switch not between theWO and WO32 and matched levels. While the WO sounds great and deep, the WO32 does that and brings a whole new level of transparency and "tightness". After the drivers broke in on the WO32 it plays just as deep and loud as the WO. Shocked

My point in writing all this is that prior to building this box I read the forum from beginning to end to get all the information I could about issues and pitfalls to avoid. My conclusion is that all the things I read about where there were problems involved some sort of modification to dimensions, materials, not following the plans STRICTLY as to the fine details like part "F" and the proper way to mount the velocity disc. Also trying to scale the design to a different size. I have a suspicion that all sorts of ideas were tried and tested prior to this being released for construction and none of them worked as well as the final release.

This is a fine piece of audio gear and I will say in my opinion the best sounding sub I have ever heard. My advice to anyone building one is to build EXCACTLY per plan and follow the directions. Built as designed I do not think there is anything else out there that will give the accuracy and detail this design gives. It is not an easy build but done correctly is worth every hour and the few pieces done over because they were not perfect. Embarrassed

I am in the fit-up stages of an NFX build which without the help of a CNC machine I don't see how to practically build one and I just got done writing the CNC code for the HDT and ZOB. I cannot wait to see how these will sound with this sub. Also have built both death boxes and a tube subwoofer. All are far superior to anything available I have heard or seen anywhere else.

Using CNC equipment makes these builds a little easier and way more accurate than cutting piece by piece, but good tight joinery is critical in these designs. Take your time and build per plan and I can assure you that with any of the designs Decware has for construction you will not be disappointed. Trying to re-invent the wheel has never worked for me yet.

One final comment. Both the WO and WO32 are in my shop which is in a small strip center. I get asked all the time by my neighbors what I am using for my music. When I show them these boxes and the minimal equipment running them they are amazed. People expect to see walls of speakers and racks of amps. All a testimony to the brilliant designer that Steve is.

Pictures coming soon.  

So if guns kill people, I guess pencils miss spell words, cars drive drunk and spoons make people fat.
  IP Logged
phattoo
Verified Member

Re: WO32 vs WO
Reply #1 - 08/10/16 at 13:20:07

I am excited to hear your results on scaling the plans.  Also please post pics

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print