Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:07:14 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
The next project after the last one (Read 35670 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: The next project after the last one
Reply #200 - 07/12/21 at 22:22:49

I am in so far over my head that it is ridiculous.

My box of parts from Denmark/Poland showed up today.

Satori drivers are good aren't they??  They sure aren't cheap.

Ginormous Jantzen capacitors and inductors and 3 different types of stuffing.  
Lambs wool stuffing, I might end up making a sweater or something like that! Hell isn't pillow stuffing good enough for them.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #201 - 07/12/21 at 22:30:41

Donnie,

Take a breath and then be aware that these components cannot harm you as long as you remain still. Don't do anything with them so that they cannot become a mistake.
Maybe just put them up on the mantle for wondering what could have been.

MMMM, you are not going to take this advice, are you.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #202 - 07/18/21 at 02:58:33

Well the Kairos left my listening room last night.

Dan, I sure hope that they meet your expectations sonically. Please don't look at the paint too closely. They are nice looking 6 foot speakers, just don't get any closer!

Now I need to direct my attention to my SBA-761 project.
If I feel ambitious tomorrow morning I might see about soldering up the crossovers.

Yes, yet another crossover.
I'm hanging my head in shame on this.
I will smoke yet another turd in Hell for this one.
The number must be in the billions now.
I hear that they are hard to keep lit, maybe that is why eternity is such a long time.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #203 - 07/18/21 at 21:22:54

Hey Donnie!  The Kairos certainly do live up to hopes!!!  

I had another chance to visit with Donnie on Friday and had a nice listening session.  We mainly critiqued three amplifiers on the Kairos.  I brought an amplifier I'd assembled a few years ago.  Essentially it is a GT-102 from a company called Akitaka.  Donnie supplied his -Dan the Redheadded Amp- and his -Infamous Red Torii-

I had listened to my amplifier for years and it was the best solid state amp I had but I do not have many.  When we switched in the ZKIT60 I was taken aback.  I had no idea how much better that amplifier was compared to mine.  There was no comparison.  Which is a good and bad thing.  Now I have to build a ZKIT60.  Kudos Dan Kuechle, you engineered a very nice amplifier.

Donnie and I had to give our final nods to the Torii, it was the superlative performer in all regards.  

I think the majority of Decware listeners use or prefer single driver or wide-range with a helper tweeter. The Kairos are not that type of speaker.  They have a (very nice) tweeter, a mid woofer, and a semi-complicated network but they are really decent performers.  In many ways I prefer them to OB Betsy's.  Also to my OB Fast 10's.  I just love the lower registers offered by a cabinet.  

But that is the problem right.  The cabinet.  It makes for a "boxed" sound.

I've never wanted to go with a 2 amplifier setup.  But I have wanted to get an open baffle setup with some support woofers.  When Donnie and I were nearing the end of the session Donnie threw in his open baffle speakers.  He's got a pair of 15" woofers on the same baffle as one of the later model TB 8" fullrangers.  All of the drivers being driven with his Torii.  The sound was quite incredible.  Instantly the boxed sound was gone.  AND there was bottom end presence.  They were great.  But again it was a good and bad thing....  Now I have to try to get an open baffle setup that will work of my Torii...  Oh the problems!!!!!!!

Happy Listening Everyone
And Thank You Donnie  :)

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #204 - 07/19/21 at 22:34:52

I was happy to have you by Dan.

You are right about the ZKIT 60, it is a really good amp!
It is so good to have it here to contrast against my Torii.

My open baffles are pretty good, I really need to update them using the knowledge I've gleaned since building them. I guess they can be put on the list of things to do.

The Kairos ended up exceeding my expectations.

I'll admit that there were several times in the build process when I just wondered if I had enough tools in my toolbox to pull them off.
But as I've learned over my years of building stuff, just do what is in front of you that day and the impossible becomes a bunch of small steps until you are finished.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #205 - 07/25/21 at 02:55:50

Yet another Saturday of small projects to do for a larger goal.

It was kinda hot and humid today so I didn't do anything huge of flashy, just some soldering and stuff like that on my crossovers.

Yes crossovers, Satin's spawn, evil incarnate. I will now forever forward call them 666 !

Starting with a basic layout.

And then soldered up and powering the drivers.

So much more to go on these, but you eat an elephant one bite at a time.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #206 - 07/25/21 at 04:51:19

Donnie,

When I see you start yet another project, I feel guilty and jealous. There I said it. I have a speaker build out in the shop that I haven't touched in weeks. It is too darn hot man. That seem to come right after, it is too darn cold.
So instead, I am building electronics inside the house, where I belong. Either way, this stuff is expensive.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #207 - 07/25/21 at 23:31:36

4krow said:  "It is too darn hot man. That seems to come right after, it is too darn cold."

Yes! Exactly. That is the weather where I live. At least it is now that I am out of my twenties and into my sixties.  I try to pretend age has nothing to do with it.  It is all the weather.

Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #208 - 07/26/21 at 00:14:00

Brian,

Man ain't it the truth. Yet there are some guys out there that don't slow down for much of anything.

I actually made it out to my shop to cut some big pieces and do some glue up as well. Each time that I went out it wasn't for more than an hour though.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #209 - 08/01/21 at 00:40:22

Hey Donnie! I read somewhere that it’s better to mount the inductors at angles instead of on the same plane to reduce interference from the electrical field. I’m not a scientist or an engineer but there seems to be some basic logic to that idea. Here's how I’m laying out a two way for a current project. A project that is delayed by the unbearable heat and humidity btw.

30A0A77B-5624-415C-A8AF-C511D75D4030.jpeg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #210 - 08/01/21 at 01:55:33

EdwardT,

That is exactly what I did on my last build with a crossover.
I made a post to mount one inductor vertically and glued plus zip tied them into place.

On this build I'm just following the provided print for the layout of the crossover.

The inductors are huge and heavy, so I will epoxy and silicone them into place, or at least that is the current plan.

I did get the second crossover soldered together today.

The cutting and sawing hopefully will start later on this week. My wife is on vacation on some island and I took a few days off so that I can be undisturbed.

Oh the Koa veneer as been ordered, they dropped the price down to $375 for a 4X8 sheet, a total steal. The only bad thing is that shipping from Hawaii is $100. Such is the price of my wants.
I figure if these speaker's sound sucks I can build something that doesn't suck and cover them with the Koa!
I always like to have a backup plan.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 08/01/21 at 18:18:24

Even at $475 with shipping that Koa looks much better than $529 before shipping at veneersupplies.com…

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #212 - 08/06/21 at 03:01:55

So today was the day to really get into the meat and potatoes of my next project.

My first impressions of this Troels Gravesen guy is that I hope that he designs speakers better than he designs speaker plans.

For a $1500 "kit" these prints suck donkey balls. If one of my guys handed me  a print this bad I would cuss him out.

Ten more minutes would have saved me a hour or two of doing math.
And it is front, side then back. Not front, back then side.
Sorry, this is kind of what I have done for a living for the last 44 years.

But I digress....

Stuff has been cut!

And gluing has started.

And a rough idea of what it will look like, Kinda!

I actually lost a hour and a half today because my garage door wouldn't shut.  
I'd hit the button and it would go down and come right back up.
Adjustments we made by climbing up a ladder and turning screws to no avail. Finally it got dark enough that I could see that the little green light on the door sensors would go off for a brief moment, like a 10th of a second.

It was a damn spider web on the door with some bug guts, enough to upset the safety system.
I learn new stuff every day, it is always the simple stuff...

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #213 - 08/07/21 at 03:05:38

Well another day and a little more work done.

Things went pretty well until I figured that I had cut the front baffle a bit too short. I have been using an metric tape measure and just flat misread it. Oh well, I'm sure that the MDF will be used for something.

Action shots:

The port is fabricated,

The holes for the tweeters are counterbored and cut to size.
Fancy math was used to figure where the cutouts for the wires go.
Sine, Cosine, Tangent, and pie was eaten.
Actually the pie looked suspiciously like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Things are getting closer.

I'm currently looking for inspiration on some sort of outrigger feet for these things.
The speakers need to be lifted off of the floor 30 to 40 MM. Also they are only 220 MM wide, so my feelings wouldn't be hurt if the feet stuck out by 50 or so MM on each side to give a little more stability.

Anyone have any ideas for feet?
Yes I could make something elaborate from metal or buy something, but where is the sport in that?
I need something worthy of this build, remember, if these things sound good they will be covered in Koa, fancy ass wood.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #214 - 08/08/21 at 03:29:07

Hello, Donnie
I want to nominate Bear Claws as was used on Black Forest furniture. But I guess they would not be in keeping with the style of the cabinets.

The cabinets are such strict rectangles that I think I would attach 2x2 wood on the corners, maybe 3 or 4 inches long, and then a second piece half as long (or 5/8 as long) above that. So the decoration is taller right on the corner, and not as high a little way out from the corner.

Brian

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 08/08/21 at 13:06:37

Maybe a riff on this out of 3/4 birch painted satin black. I’m mulling over a similar footing for a pair of GR X-SLS that are 12x8.5 and 39” tall which seems like it may be an easy tip over.

56FE69B7-781D-485D-9921-F50AA6AB984B.jpeg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #216 - 08/08/21 at 21:41:44

I have the SBA-761's in my listening room just to hear them before the finishing starts.

The finishing might be what finally puts me over the edge. My painting and veneering skills will be pushed to their limits.

Oh by the way, these things sound a whole lot better than anything I've ever made.

Film at 11!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #217 - 08/08/21 at 22:58:22

Action photos!

Or how I spent 4, ten hours days in my garage and loved it.

This gives you an idea of how the bottom firing port looks.

This shows all of the felt lining the guts of them.
All I had to cut this stuff was a pair of small scissors, right handed ones, I'm a lefty. My right hand hurts now.

This shows the general mayhem that I have on my hands right now.
For whatever reason I'm disorganized when I'm building speakers, quite the opposite of how I work professionally.

I hang my head in shame!  

But you can see where I rest up and listen to my garage rockers.
For as much of a hack job the rockers are, they sound doggone good. Ask around, they rock.

Virtually every clamp that I own. There might one or two small ones in my toolbox but toolmakers clamps are real small.

Here they are 2 minutes after I finished putting them together.
They are sitting on top of 1-2-3 blocks and precision parallels because I'm still trying to figure some sort of feet out for them.
Also notice my ever present white McDonalds cup.
Today it was iced tea, it was a hot muther out there.

Here they are in my listening room, kicking butt and taking names.

Now to listen to them for a week or two while the glue dries up and let my veneer show up. It is being shipped by land from Hawaii so I figure that may take a bit of time.
In my head I see a mailman on a surfboard catching the perfect wave to California. Cowabunga dude!

First impressions are very positive, lots of bass and the tweeters are real nice. I'm a sucker for nice tweeters, hubba hubba.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #218 - 08/08/21 at 23:12:44

Donnie,

Clamping can be a challenging situation sometimes. It all seems so simple, but to get even pressure along the whole clamped surface or to even get the right clamp pressure at a point that is not easily reached. One good thing on my side, is a thick work bench that serves as flat clamping surface. Ok, one down one to go. Now in simplest terms I try to make a matching surface to contact the entire top surface to be clamped. That is where it gets rough. When that is accomplished, the wood likes to move as you clamp.
What would be cool is to have a giant vise that could hold things in place and apply pressure at the same time.

FWIW, I only wish that my shop looked as organized as yours. I wouldn't dare post a photo of mine. Too many tools, not enough space.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 08/09/21 at 12:30:18

Donnie, I look at how neat your shop is during assembly and my workspace looks like chaos…

8E222CF3-717D-4C8D-BD8E-9BB0C9DD76A1.jpeg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #220 - 08/09/21 at 17:41:16

So the final day of vacation is upon me.

This going to work every day is starting to weigh heavy on my soul.

A old boss once told me that it was time to retire when you couldn't put up with the daily annoyances anymore.
Well I'm getting pretty pissy about how my life is being manipulated by HR and IT anymore.... Maybe it is getting close to time to call it a completed career.

I'm in the twilight of a mediocre career.

Rant over.

The all important balance has been reinstated into my garage ( for now).
Things have  been put back in place, the floor swept 4 times (MDF dust is, well, dusty).
I really like stuff to be in place because I'm lazy.
I hate spending all day looking for something. If it has a place I put it in that place and I can go through life on cruse control.

More shots of the speakers in my listening room.

The Satori drivers are as good as their hype, good shit Maynard!

My listening room is starting to look like "Crazy Donnie's Speaker Emporium" again. Don't forget, Crazy Donne's is where you always get a free onion.

Too many speakers is better than not enough, right??

Anyway, I'm just going to listen to music for the rest of the day and not worry about tomorrow until tomorrow.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #221 - 08/09/21 at 18:39:48

Donnie,

I was recently told >>> "When the annoyance outpaces the pay/reward/love of the work itself, you should reconsider." <<<

I did, and quit about 2 weeks ago at a museum where I was working part time. What a great job turned into something else after about 1 1/2 years. No need to explain, it all ends up in the same pile.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 08/10/21 at 03:22:14

Very exciting speakers, Donnie!
I am glad you are getting to enjoy them.  

Brian

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #223 - 08/14/21 at 21:20:47

Below is supposed to be the very sheet of Koa veneer that I have on order.

UPS says that it will be here Wednesday. I'm getting itchy!

I'm hoping that I can do this stuff justice. My current thinking is vacillating between clear shellac and clear poly, no oils or stains.

What does the collective say?

Oh yeah, I made feet this morning, nothing fancy just 22.5 degree miters on 2 sides to stick out to the front/back and sides.

Now the internal debate on how to finish the feet rages in my head.
There will be red with the Koa, you know, just because of my reputation.

Also these things are sounding awesome, dare I say better than even my open baffles.
Now the job is to not screw them up.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #224 - 08/15/21 at 03:42:36

Hi Donnie,
This part of the collective says: Too grey.
I would add a red stain. Or red orange.

Brian

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 08/17/21 at 18:55:21

I have an ongoing temptation to try Rubio Monocoat in its clear formulation. That Koa would be absolutely stunning that way so that’s my 2¢

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #226 - 08/21/21 at 15:36:13

I'm working on the color palette of my new speakers.
Koa and red of course.

The finish on the Koa is still up in the air. Probably clear shellac.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #227 - 08/21/21 at 18:14:26

I say let the wood speak for itself with a touch of help towards it's true color.
https://ibb.co/2Y6WRqF

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #228 - 08/21/21 at 18:15:13

I like the combo, Donnie!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #229 - 08/22/21 at 00:21:07

So after some sanding, some bondo work, and even more sanding, it was time for some color. Or I guess correctly, lack of color.

It got it taped up to keep my enthusiasm with a roller at bay, cleaned it about 6 times and got ready for paint.

I used shellac to seal it, sanded with 600 and rolled on a coat of black on the back and the bottom.

Now I will wait a few days and decide if it needs to be sanded flat and maybe another coat added.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #230 - 08/22/21 at 00:53:35

It’s going to be trick to keep this face like grain figure in the veneer in the same place on the six sides.

E5DCCE98-9131-46DA-9DFA-811A1AE5C03F.jpeg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #231 - 08/22/21 at 02:25:35

EdwardT,

Why in the world did you have to point that out to me??? Lol.

I won't be able to sleep for days now!

The thought hadn't even entered my mind. We will see if I can pull that off now. I don't even know if the "face" shows up on the veneer 6 times.....

Damn, now I have to go out to the garage and roll the sheet out.

Well I might end up in padded room by the time these speakers are done.

Maybe the face will only show up on the front face of the speakers???

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #232 - 08/22/21 at 15:58:42

If it was me I’d try to make that spot one of the speaker holes and keep that bit on the sides. I counted four complete faces but it’s not evident to me that I’m seeing the whole sheet. Gonna require a bit of planning before slicing or you'll never be unable to see the result.
I tried to get these pretty close, the veneer didn’t mirror image so I could only get close, I figure at 8 ft. apart it won’t be too irritating.

8E11662F-5F27-4E53-8F84-822D0AEF53BF.jpeg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #233 - 08/27/21 at 22:30:16

I ordered up some Tried and True varnish oil today to use on my Koa.
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/varnish-oil/

Hopefully it gives me the effect that I'm looking for.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #234 - 08/27/21 at 23:11:10

Quote:
penetrating linseed oil and natural pine resin

Curious to know how you like this.  It will yellow quite a bit.  I'm a big fan of linseed oil myself.  Not sure what the pine resin is/does or if that's all that's in it.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #235 - 08/28/21 at 21:29:46

Would that pine resin be a fancy name for turpentine used as a drying agent?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #236 - 08/28/21 at 23:35:22

Ha ha, could be.  Lot's of ways to make cheap old linseed oil cost a fortune!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #237 - 08/29/21 at 02:48:59

Hey guys, I'm just spending $30 to try something different out. Lol

Yeah, when something is marketed as 100% natural my BS alarm goes off too.
But this stuff was highly recommended to me to bring out the Chatoyancy of the Koa.
That is a big fancy foreign word for sparkly wood, it makes it sound like I know stuff.
I learned it when I was getting my Masters at MIT*

In real life most of my sentences start with 4 letter words that start with F and S ! I work on the wrong side of the tracks.
Come to think of it no matter what side of the tracks I'm on is the wrong side.

I also ordered up some Bee's Wax. Wax on, wax off.
If I was a real man I would go full on Yogi Bear and dive headlong into a bee hive and get it from the source.
Come to think of it, I know a couple of guys that own hives....

Todays project was red paint on my new speakers.

So lots and lots of taping, priming and painting.
I'm using spray bomb rattle can stuff. I've only did this once before on a speaker project with moderate success.
Today's results were better than before, I might be able to sand myself out of anything that annoys me too badly.
My body work needs to be better.

So action pictures from today.
Anything that ain't red is going to be Koa:
The first pic is taped up.
I like to hit the speaker cutouts with a little color in case my machining is a little off.

The red is my usual safety red, the light and my phone camera conspired to make it look orangish. I've noticed before that my pics have a color pushing to the orange side.

Tape off:

Next up is sanding my overspray off and then the actual cutting , fitting and gluing up my veneer.
I'm a bit apprehensive about that, but what the hell, it is just for me.

As a side note, my open baffles might need a new home after I finish these.
These new speakers sound great and I have only so much room.
My open baffles aren't any slouches their selves. Really good sounding if you ask me or anyone who has heard them.
I've been known to give my stuff away....
That is known as a teaser trailer.

* Mississippi Institute of Truckin'
I got my Masters in coffee swillin' and rest stop lizard wranglin'.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #238 - 08/29/21 at 14:14:32

In all fairness turpentine is natural, it’s just pine resin that’s been distilled a process back in the day that was called crackin'  :)

I read the application instructions and it sounds a lot like French polishing where you try to achieve a little bit of heat as you vigorously rub after the coat has rested a bit. Back in the day craftsmen used a wool pad but I’ve heard of good success using linen over a cheesecloth core. And muscles. It’s a hearty thing you’re going to do.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #239 - 09/04/21 at 03:39:38

Just a quick update on my Koa veneer.

I glued some on tonight and it is now doing it's drying thing.

I used a cutoff of the veneer to experiment my finishing on. Probably the most expensive piece of "scrap" wood I've ever messed with!

Well so far I'm pretty pleased with this Tried & True stuff. One coat has been put on and buffed up.
The veneer is definitely looking much better with it on

We shall see what it looks like after 5 or 6 more coats.

The Koa is remarkable, it just sparkles and shines, some quilting has shown up!

Action picture :

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #240 - 09/04/21 at 04:22:10

That color is gorgeous! So is the glow.

Brian

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #241 - 09/04/21 at 12:38:03

That looks wonderful, I’ll bet it reveals something new from every angle. Combined with the red sections it’s going to be stunning.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #242 - 09/04/21 at 17:48:22

Donnie, You couldn't ask for more. I think it would be worth the price of tickets just watch and learn veneering from you. I have the veneer, but it spooks me off thinking about how to apply and cut without incident.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #243 - 09/04/21 at 18:48:38

4krow wrote on 09/04/21 at 17:48:22:
Donnie, You couldn't ask for more. I think it would be worth the price of tickets just watch and learn veneering from you. I have the veneer, but it spooks me off thinking about how to apply and cut without incident.

I'm probably the wrong person to learn veneering from. I've only done it a few times.

I just rough cut it, glue it down, and "clamp" it till the glue sets up. Then I just get a razor knife and trim the edges.

The veneer is just a big piece of wood that you glue to your boxes.

I'm working on ways to screw it up right now!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #244 - 09/06/21 at 02:43:17

A small amount of progress has been made.

Perhaps I can muster up some enthusiasm tomorrow.

In process photo:

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #245 - 09/06/21 at 03:47:34

I really like the match, Donnie!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #246 - 09/06/21 at 14:25:07

Yes sir! They’re going to be very pretty indeed.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #247 - 09/12/21 at 02:33:44

Well my method of stumbling through builds was in full force today.

It was time to get serious about getting the Koa veneer on to the speaker cabinets.

After watching some YouTube videos last night and finding out a method of applying veneer with dry TiteBond and a hot clothes iron and experimenting on some scrap it was time to get serious.

First I cut up my veneer into the size I needed:

I commenced ironing them down into place:

Then trimmed them to size (Difficult and somewhat tedious work).
This is what the first one looked like:

I then sanded and then steel wooled the veneer and started the process of the Tried and True finish. One coat a day after hitting it with 0000 steel wool. I figure 6-8 coats. Lots of rubbing and buffing, right down my alley. I'm just stupid for sanding and buffing.

So anyway this is what they are looking like after the first coat:

I scratched the crap out of my red paint in a couple of spots, so back to the drawing board on that aspect. I guess more sanding and painting is in my future.

It will be nice to get these back together and listen to them again.

I'm still thinking that my open baffles might be available, maybe a lucky person can pick them up at DecFest?? Is free too much to charge?

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #248 - 09/13/21 at 16:35:31

NICE!

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #249 - 09/18/21 at 17:50:51

I'm getting really close to bolting these together.

A quick respray today to cover all of the scratches I made cutting the veneer. Quick means 3 hours of taping and 10 minutes of spraying.

4 coats of Tried & True on the veneer looks about right to me.

Bee's wax next.

I'll let stuff dry and repaint the back and bottom black.

Hopefully they still play like they did before!

I have to take The War Department to lunch or I'm torpedoed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print