Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 01:43:23 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
The next project after the last one (Read 38752 times)
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: The next project after the last one
Reply #100 - 10/13/20 at 14:55:29

Donnie

Let us know how the 15" deathbox turns out.  What speaker are you going to use?  If it turns out good, the Dayton 18" classic sub might be interesting as another step up.

Dan

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #101 - 10/13/20 at 15:43:56

Dank,

I'm using a 15" GRS Mach 1 replacement speaker from Parts Express. I noticed that was what Steve was using in his Imperial subs.

This is the 4th or 5th Death Box I've made in the last year or so. After the second one I noticed that the sliding part always ended up all of the way down, so I stopped making the siding part and put the baffles in solid.

This one for the 15" is just me swinging for the fences. I just upsized everything quite a bit. The biggest problem so far is that I can't get full MDF sheets. It seems like there is a shortage around here.
The current thought on it is that there are so many people "Working from home" that a lot of projects are getting done and using up all of the material. Anyway, I could only get 1/2 and 1/4 sheets. It kind of limits me on size.

So 48" is my limiting factor. So guess how big the box is?
The outside dimensions are 49.5 X 18" X 18" and it weighs somewhere north of a metric ton.
The entire box was just a little over 7 cubic foot and it figured out to around 4 cubic foot on the sealed end of the box, I wanted 6, but 4 should do.

The real cool thing about this "Barn Destroyer"  project besides the monster Death Box have been the speakers their selves.
Just a simple 2 cubic foot ported boxes with cheap GRS BOFU drivers and some Faital Pro 4" full range drivers running full range as tweeters.
These things sound crazy good, stupid crazy good.

Here in a little bit when it warms up I'm going to Walmart to buy cheap pillows as a source for polyfill. Why pay $9 a pound when I can get the same in a pillow for $4?

Anyway this has been a great vacation project so far.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #102 - 10/14/20 at 00:04:20

Just a couple of photo updates of my Barn Destroyer project.

The sub is huge and it shakes stuff off of my workbenches.

And the speakers sound way better than they should. Very happy with them.

I'm now listening to them for a day to "let the glue dry", more like to catch my breath.

In a day or two they will come apart to be slicked up and finished.
We are finishing them in shellac over raw MDF, for kind of an agricultural look.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #103 - 10/14/20 at 11:59:44

You do good work Donnie, those are going to look great and I can almost hear them in the photos.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #104 - 10/14/20 at 15:00:14

Thanks Lon, I appreciate that.
My workmanship is just OK in my opinion.
I really need to take the time to figure out joinery a bit more. All of these butt joints look amateurish, it is time to step up my game a bit.

I've been lucky in finding good combinations of drivers and tweeters. Truthfully. I just take other peoples ideas and expand upon them.
The math is always fun and the work keeps my mind occupied in a good way.

If I didn't have this hobby I would probably be in a shack way out in the middle of nowhere writing my Manifesto and building letter bombs!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 10/14/20 at 15:06:47

Well, I don't have your skills for the speaker building hobby and sort of do live in a big shack halfway in the middle of nowhere and. . . well, thank goodness I have my systems and collection and instruments, or I'd be writing those letters and deciding which stamps to use on the packages. . . currently I'm leaning towards either the cool WWI ones that are harder to get now, or the new Harlem Renaissance. . . . Wink

We can all stand to up our respective games, but I am impressed with your speaker building.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #106 - 10/16/20 at 18:48:27

Well the Barn Destroyers are being set up in their new home right now. Hopefully the building is robustly constructed.

The co-worker who I built them for took the day off so that he could play with them.

The one piece of the build that I haven't talked about is the tiny little Dayton 3 channel amp that powers it. A $90ish amp supposedly with 50 watts a channel and 100 watts to the sub. I figure more like 20 a side and maybe on a good day, 50 to the sub.

But with all of the drivers used in this project being 90 to 91 db efficient the volume is way more than enough. I saw over 103 db in my garage with the doors closed, more than adequate for it's usage. It is hard to describe the hit that the sub puts out, kinda like someone hitting you in chest with a tennis racquet.

A picture of the finished project as it was waiting to be picked up.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #107 - 10/24/20 at 02:23:50

It looks as if my next project will be a pair of Jeff Bagby Continuum II's, the drivers were shipped out today and I picked up some wood tonight.

Tomorrow I will start by ripping boards into pieces that I can glue up into more interesting looking speaker parts.
That is if the weather doesn't slow me down. It was 82 yesterday, now they are telling us to not be surprised to see snow this weekend.

I've been doing some research into how to make poplar wood look better and have somewhat of a plan on how to incorporate oak into the design.
While I'm no fan of either wood there doesn't seem to be any other wood species available to me here in corn country.

Seeing as these are really small speakers I will need to really step up on the attention to detail. Oh goody, something to completely geek out on.

Wish me luck, come hell or high water, something will come out of this.
So if you end up seeing painted MDF speakers you will know that my skills weren't up to the task at hand.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 10/24/20 at 17:45:15

You might try some different finish techniques on the oak.  I have a cherry project coming up and I'm planning on a lye wash that turns it red.  I used to feel the same way about oak as you do but I like working with it.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #109 - 10/25/20 at 03:13:42

Archie,

I tried several different finishes on scraps today and found a bunch of things that I didn't like whatsoever. Walnut Danish Oil looked real nice on the oak but turned the poplar even more green!
The best looking stain was a dark cherry, but I'd rather not make everything the same tone.
I'll figure out more after the glue dries more and I sand everything out and get a better handle on what I am working with. I need a plainer!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 10/25/20 at 04:22:59

The green poplar will eventually go brown and tan.  It's just such a plain grained wood.  I think I've used Special and Dark walnut Minwax stains on oak with nice results.  I'm a big fan of linseed oil.  I don't know if it will work with oak but lye can do interesting things to wood.  If you've ever poured concrete and stepped on a redwood deck you'll know what I mean.   Roll Eyes

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #111 - 10/27/20 at 01:12:52

Holy crap! What in the world have I gotten myself into?

I'm pretty sure that I am looking straight into the eyes of Satan right at this moment.

Hell if I know what I'm doing.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #112 - 11/02/20 at 22:26:52

Just a quick update on my Continuum II build with the kit from Meniscus Audio.

The crossovers are done, the boxes are in final finishing, and next is assembly.

I'm hoping that they end up sounding good behind Dan the Redheaded Amp!

Here is what the "boxes" look like right now, let's see how I can mess them up!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 11/02/20 at 23:02:36

That's the poplar and oak?  Looks damn good!   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #114 - 11/02/20 at 23:52:39

Wow!

Dan the Amp will be proud to drive those guys!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #115 - 11/03/20 at 00:05:13

Archie,

Yep, poplar and oak with amber shellac over the top.  My wife talked me into not staining or using vinegar on them.

Dan,
Dan the Amp will push these with ease!

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 11/04/20 at 02:37:39

Donnie, That looks absolutely fantastic.  Definitely Jealous of how nice your cabinets look.  I know I have been been listening to my Continuum II regularly since they have been built.  I must admit I've been so inspired by them that I've purchased Bagby's Kairos kit as well.  The cabinet construction is well beyond my abilities, so I have no idea when the project will happen.  But to say I am in anticipation is an understatement.  It is really a luxury to be able to hear crossoverless speaker systems driven with Decware tube amplification on one day, then on another day hear these mini monitors driven with fine solid state and compare and contrast.  At the end of the day I know my heart lies with my SE84UFO25, Torii MKIV, HDT, and Hegeman Model 2 gear!  But undeniable, incredible things are to be heard with the Continuum II setup.  At any rate, I am glad you took a chance on a Bagby speaker and look very forward to your opinion of how it sounds.  All the best!!!    

Also! I'm sure I forgot to give props for Dan the Amp.  I had the privilege to have several sessions with that amplifier at Dank's garage and it delivered every single time!  Dank ran it through the paces, behind at least a half dozen speakers, over a wide spectrum of music and it never broke a sweat!!!!!  It was always a pleasure to listen to.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #117 - 11/04/20 at 02:53:02

Donnie,
 Back away slowly, and DO NOT look the project in the eyes. These speakers are killers, blood suckers; very dangerous. There is still time to bolt.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #118 - 11/04/20 at 17:12:26

So 4krow you are saying that speakers with crossovers are like vampires?

Holy cow, if I'de only known beforehand.
litefootdan has led me down the garden path to my destruction!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #119 - 11/04/20 at 21:54:34

And another one bites the dust (old vampire saying).

Donnie, see there is where it all goes sometimes. Like when you make a cabinet that gorgeous, then you have no choice but to back it up with gorgeous sound. Double duty for the craftsman.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #120 - 11/07/20 at 00:26:14

I finished up my take on the Continuum II's today and have been playing them a bit.

They are hooked up to my Torii and don't sound too shabby. I'll run them for a while before I give any kind of opinion, but so far they are fairly impressive.

The crossover seem to work in both of them, so my soldering skills must have been adequate.

The instructions from Meniscus Audio were pretty good once I looked at them, but being "old school" I didn't really look at them until I couldn't figure something out.

I didn't build them like the LS3/5a that they are modeled after, so time will tell if my boxes are worth anything.

Anyway they were a fun build, and working with "real wood" was pretty neat. The poplar and oak look pretty good together.
I might need to do something like this again.

Pictures of the finished product.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 11/07/20 at 12:40:21

Good job Donnie!  Those look like expensive speakers that people pay big bucks for.

You are inching closer to Bob Z.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #122 - 11/07/20 at 12:57:34

Donnie,

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #123 - 11/07/20 at 14:12:55

Thanks everyone.

These were fun to build.

Believe me, Bob Z has no worries about my skill set getting even close to his.

I'm just a motivated hobbyist with the problem of not being able to shut my brain off.

Today there are a pair of speakers that are going to be put together with a biscuit joiner. My boss loaned me his tool to experiment with.

Wish me luck, hopefully I end up at the end of the day with the 9 2/3 fingers I started out with.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #124 - 11/14/20 at 02:22:14

I just finished up yet another set of speakers.
Thank goodness that it is starting to get cold outside so I can stop this madness!

These are another pair of my "Rockers" done up in white.

A old friend has another pair like these and wanted a pair for his 20 year old son.
Maybe this can be the start of a new audiophile?!

These were constructed differently than I have been doing them, this time I used a biscuit joiner. I really like how they seem so much more solid feeling.

The bass seems enhanced with these, maybe the stiffer construction...?
But truthfully they only have  around an hour on them , who knows what they will sound like with some break in miles on them.

Now to wind down for the winter and take some time to listen to some of my builds.

There is a new build on the horizon that will really test my skills, but it will take some planning to figure it out.

Picture of this last build.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #125 - 11/15/20 at 03:35:18

I've been playing my Continuum II speakers tonight driven by Dan the Amp. A very satisfying combination.

The Continuums are a fairly laid back speaker, but Dan has enough punch to push them forward quite a bit.

Truthfully the Continuums are smoothing out as I get more hours on them They probably have way less than 20 hours on them. I get busy with other peoples speakers and leave mine laying around out of rotation.

And also speaking of Dan the Amp, why am I not hearing of other owners of these? They are really great, maybe as a second amp to compare and contrast with your lower power Decware amps. They are a steal at this price.

I need to build some speaker stands, currently I'm using may garage rocker speakers as stands and it is a pain to carry them back and forth plus my wife gets mad at me dragging these dusty things into her clean house.

Does anyone have any good ideas for speaker stands? I like interesting things and shapes.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #126 - 11/21/20 at 23:54:37

So I have been looking for some sort of  interesting speaker stand for my Continuum speakers, lo and behold they were right in front of my nose all along.

Around the turn of the century while I was still getting dirty for a living, I had the pleasure of working as a metal pattern maker. One of the most high end jobs in machining. Imagine taking a solid hunk of tool steel and finding the part that was hidden inside of it, 3D machining at it's highest form.

Anyway, the old master pattern maker that had started the business had retired and hung around the shop and made things from wood. You know simple things like clocks with wooden gears, violins, harps, nothing fancy, lol. Truly a talented artist of woodworking.

He had taken a shining to me because I could make just about anything he needed that were too time consuming to hand make, things like his wooden gears and metal parts for his harps.

So anyway, back to the speaker stands.
I needed stands for some NHT speakers that I had at the time and asked him to build some.
The only thing that I told him was that they needed to be 24" tall, (that they are, holding + or - .005" depending upon the humidity in the room at the time!) and to make them an interesting shape.

Well to say that they are an interesting shape is a complete disservice to his skills. They are made of solid Mahogany and curve in all 3 axis, so hard to describe beyond saying that they are stunning. It is even harder to photograph, but I shall try to convey how they look with some photos.

Anyway back to today and needing speaker stands. The stands that Lowell had made for me have been holding up the giant, thick piece of maple that my amplifiers sit upon. I needed them out front and center to be used for what they were intended to be, not be hidden under amplifiers!

So this morning I woke up thinking about the next pair of speakers that I am going to build, they have me racking my brain on how to build them, there are some tricky angles and some fancy joinery to them.

So I just thought that I would build something simple just to give me more time to ponder my next moves.

I figured that I could free up my speaker stands from their grunt work of holding my amplifiers up and build a proper table to set the maple slab and amplifiers on.

So I made a new table, using bits and pieces from different speaker baffles that I had became dissatisfied with for whatever reason, now repurposed into a useable amplifier stand.

The table just before it was installed under my amps.

And now my speakers have stands under them! I also cleaned up my mess and much to my wife's amazement, vacuumed!

It is difficult to show how cool that these stands really are.

The table with my Torii and Dan the Amp on it.

And yes, I drank 3 or 4 Diet Dr. Peppers today!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #127 - 11/22/20 at 00:08:05

Very nice!
You have a choice of seeing the stands or switching them and not.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #128 - 11/29/20 at 18:53:28

Just read this thread again. I missed out on some stuff since last time. Yes cameras don't often get the full effect of finishes. The stands got to make things a lot more versatile. I am curious, how much does each stand weigh? I might have missed that. And you know, I still find that each speaker design prefers a certain volume level to sound it's best. Larger cabinets can get away with lower volume, at least that is my experience.
 My shop is also telling me to go away for the season, but I might squeeze in one more project.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #129 - 11/29/20 at 23:22:22

4krow,

The stands aren't very heavy. Probably under 10 bs each.
I've wondered if that hurts me or not, so far I'd say not.

The Continuum's have been ran heavily over this long weekend.
I'm more than happy with them in combination with Dan the Amp. 

A very good project.

I'm now waiting for some new tools to be delivered. More to come on that development.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #130 - 12/06/20 at 18:53:03

My new woodworking tools are starting to trickle in to me.
I got a bunch of clamps yesterday, because you can never have too many clamps.

I have a biscuit joiner coming and a real fancy miter gage for my table saw. I watched Steves videos on his Tiny Radials and noticed what he was using for his angle cuts, so I ordered the same one. There are also some accessories for my router that are in transit from England of all places. Amazon seems to get stuff from all over the place.

Hopefully these tools will help me step my build level up even more.

I've volunteered myself to build a fellow forum member speakers for him and I want to really do them up right. Right now I'm in my planning stages, hopefully sometime during my Christmas break from work chips will start to fly around here. Weather permitting.

I have too many ideas rattling around in my head. Hopefully I can pull this one off.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #131 - 12/07/20 at 16:05:58

Money, good tools and good lumber can produce excellent results!.

Determination and sound design are also part of the equation.

Good for you Donnie!

Dennis

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 12/09/20 at 11:36:03

Donnie,
Screw clamps are a great addition in any wood shop. Very handy tool for a quick support that can conform to almost any shape. I just acquired a half of dozen or so of various sizes. Indispensable now!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 02/27/21 at 17:34:46

Donnie,

Not sure why I actually stumbled onto this topic.  That said, I have really enjoyed following your "exploits".  I especially appreciate your projects and specifically your listening room pics as I'm plotting an addition.  Got some inspiration from your work.   Might even try and mimic some of your good work.  Anyway, I went in to looked at the pics again and noticed you've not really posted any new exploits of late.  Hope all is well; and if you have the time, let us know what you're working on.  And.... is it red or white???

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #134 - 02/27/21 at 19:29:11

Well Jim the main reason I haven't posted anything new is because it has been too friggin' cold out in my shop. It was -10 F a week or two ago on my drive to work.

But as I type this it is 51 F and I'm starting to get itchy again. The long range forecast looks good too, so maybe next weekend I can start into my next build.

The first project is going to be a pair of Jeff Bagby Kairos for a forum member.
I promised that I would build them late last fall and I have been just sitting on my ass for the last 3 or 4 months. It is time to get going on them.

No red or white this time, walnut and black is the color of choice. I am thinking about some of that black that is so black that it looks like nothing is there.

Just kidding Dan, a normal black is what I'm planning on.

Beyond that, I have a 12" sub driver laying here and my boss is building a cabin in his woods that will need some sort of audio reinforcement.

I'm sure that this year will have some good projects. Let's see what I can come up with.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 02/27/21 at 19:38:33

Waiting as they say with bated breath!   Cheesy

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 03/03/21 at 02:03:45

Donnie!  I can't imagine how cold it was up there.  I know here in KS we had a couple days with a high of 0 and -1.  That's cold enough for me!!!!  Hope you're in good sorts and in good spirits Wink

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #137 - 03/10/21 at 23:11:41

Today a box from Parts Express showed up at my door. Inside was a pair of the Tang Band drivers like what are used in the tiny radials.

Wow these things are tiny, much smaller than a coffee cup.
I hooked them up to my phone and $28 Lepai amp that was also in the box and started playing them. They really need a speaker box to keep them from jumping around like Mexican Jumping Beans.

My wife started complaining that they were too loud, so I can check that off of the list of things that I can do to annoy her.

Now to decide what kind of box to put them in. Something nice for the laundry room. I might pick up some hardwood.

Gotta warm my skills up after a long winter layoff and then start into a real hard project!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 03/12/21 at 05:25:07

Donnie, for "a real hard project", the Horst Möller Saxophon has long interested me.
http://www.hm-moreart.de/23.htm

Brian

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #139 - 03/13/21 at 02:49:39

Wow Brian, those look imposing to make.

My skills aren't even close to that level, yet.

But breaking everything down to the piece you just need to make at that time is usually how I get over that fear.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 03/13/21 at 04:40:39

I wish I were a real man who actually makes things! I would like to hear those.
I emailed with Hörst when I first found those speakers ten or fifteen years ago. He was sure enthusiastic for them.
I like the comments on his feedback page.  http://www.hm-moreart.de/82.htm

For some reason I get that page translated to English if I open it in the Edge browser, but it stays in German in the Internet Explorer.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #141 - 03/13/21 at 13:34:38

Brian,

I wouldn't call myself a "real man" because I didn't have the need to kill my breakfast this morning, but it is satisfying to have the chance to build things for fun. But I did sneak up on the orange that I ate....

This Horst Moller person shure does has a lot of interesting projects on his website.

http://www.hm-moreart.de/1.htm

Of course I've always wanted to build Neilson Pass's Kleinhorns.
They fit my aesthetic, big, stupid, and loud!
https://www.passdiy.com/project/speakers/the-kleinhorn-part-1

But today I'm going tiny. I have a pair of the drivers that Steve uses in his Tiny Radials and I'm going to do something similar but with my own twist on them.

What that twist is I haven't a clue yet. I suppose that something will come to me when the cutting begins.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 03/14/21 at 04:24:35

A new twist. Good idea.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #143 - 03/21/21 at 02:33:11

Well the weather broke enough to let me back into my garage today to actually start the build project that I should have finished last year.

Project Karios has finally launched, complete with cold fingers and good intentions.

I will admit that the prints looked pretty daunting when I first started looking at them. But after studying them for a while and breaking down what needs to be done, and in what order, it became a no hill for a climber situation.

I had plenty of scrap MDF piled up in the corner, a table saw with a spiffy new miter gage and a whole bunch of toolmaker tools in my toolboxes. Why not give it a go?

The decision was made to take it easy and not do my usual all in, no stop until it is done situation. At least that is the plan so far. We shall see if I can actually work that way.  

So today was just a short hop into this project just to get me into the "mode".

The desired results.

The website:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/kairos-speaker-kit/

The bottoms and the tops:

And my messy garage:

I was going to ask you all to wish me luck, but I like making my own luck.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 03/21/21 at 04:26:02

How very Aegyptian!
The box looks like one we used to see by Dynaudio in the Zalytron catalog.  It got good reviews.
As I am not to wish you luck, I will pray that you have success and have fun too.

Brian

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 03/25/21 at 21:52:11

Well, I was thinking they would be done by now and painted in.... Isn't white the new color?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #146 - 03/25/21 at 22:47:57

Not done yet! I'm taking my time and actually trying to do things right and not spend a bunch of time fixing what I messed up.

These will be painted black on the front, back and bottom and if they look good I'll go ahead and do some walnut veneer on the sides and tops.

Since the world has been opened a crack, The War Department has been tasking me to do things with her, cutting back on my shop time. Three or four hours a week is all I can budget right now, so I'm slowly but steadily progressing now.  

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 03/26/21 at 04:34:01

That is one I had not heard before. I wonder if "The War Department" reads the Decware forum.
If she does, I will find a good recording of Taps for you.
Brian

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #148 - 03/27/21 at 16:10:33

1 degree X 16" =.2792", a little more than a 1/4" .
Don't ask me how I came upon this little tidbit.

I do believe that they call it parallax error.

Well I needed to go to Menard's anyway for some 1/2 MDF, I'll pick up some 3/4" too.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #149 - 03/27/21 at 22:49:22

There is a pile of Karios parts in my garage that have been hacked out today.
Believe me when I say that there are a whole bunch of parts that go into these 16" tall speakers.

Getting the angles right was "fun" but I'm under the impression that they are right. The protractor says that they are 14 degrees, the math all figured out right.  At least they are all the same!

There is a lot of stuff that still needs done, lots of little details, more angles and a lot of grooves and pockets to go.

The sad thing is that I find this fun, almost fulfilling. I live a fairly pathetic existence.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print