04/25/24 at 18:22:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ken Burns' Jazz (Read 732 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Ken Burns' Jazz
05/16/16 at 21:32:14

Anyone ever watch this?  I've seen it several times.  Every time an episode is on I can help but watch it.  Jazz has such a rich history.  Plus, every time I watch it I end up hooked on someone different.  This last time I got hooked on Thelonious Monk.

If you haven't seen it, it is fascinating stuff.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Ken Burns' Jazz
Reply #1 - 05/16/16 at 21:39:47

I watched it religiously when it was first released on PBS and was fascinated to see all that I had studied unfold before my eyes. The jazz community pooh poohed it because they have issues with Wynton Marsalis and his stance that jazz pretty much died in the early sixties and how they focused on people like Duke and Louis and not some lesser knowns. . . . Well, it was short on anything beyond that but it was 19 hours of jazz!  Some amazing photos and films and facts. I have the DVD box set and pull a volume out now and then. I understand the focus on Louis and Duke and I LOVE their work so it's always a joy. I wish they had paid a bit more attention to Eddie Condon and his "clan" of musicians but that's a moot point. Glad you are digging the episodes!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 05/17/16 at 01:51:22

Same here, I was revited to my TV for the PBS run years back. I enjoy pop contemporary Jazz. However, the reason I created a Room and went after equipment that can sound live like the real thing....is because of the Duke, Johnny Hodges, Sonny Stitt, Cannonball Adderly, Ben Webster and of course the one and only Coleman Hawkins. Sax!

Right now though, I'm in the mood for Itzhak Perlman & The late great Oscar Peterson (Side by Side ~ TELARC).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/16 at 18:32:04

Lon, I sort of agree to some extent with Wynton Marsalis.  

Have you guys seen Whiplash?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/17/16 at 18:38:09

I pretty much agree with him as well. A lot of it is semantics. A lot of later music I can enjoy but don't consider it "jazz." There is a certain prestige to the term "jazz" I guess that people want to associate with, but it's not a lucrative genre in any way, hasn't been for some time. Only a few like Wynton (in his position with Lincoln Center) really do well.

I decided not to bother with watching Whiplash.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/17/16 at 19:46:27

I was watching Whiplash on an airplane and we landed before it ended!

Anyway, I did want to watch the rest of it.  I thought it was a tense but emotionally gripping movie.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/16 at 20:22:23

Lon, the reason I mention Whiplash was not so much because it involved jazz but because the antagonist had a life's search of finding the next Charlie Parker.  It is intense.  J.K. Simmons earned that Oscar.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/17/16 at 20:50:32

Cool. I'll consider it. I'm not much of a film watcher these days. . . and what I've heard of the "intensity" of the film I can do without.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print