Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:30:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSTAGE: Gain VS Volume (Read 6561 times)
Sergei M
Verified Member

ZSTAGE: Gain VS Volume
04/25/16 at 10:44:34

Hi,

I have ordered a ZSTAGE from Decware. I am planning on using it as a dedicated pre amp.

I am planning to put it between my CD Player & my Solid State Power Amp.

What is the difference between Gain & Volume? As Gain can be used to control the volume level as well. My understanding this will raise the Voltage up to 5 Volts, while Line Out is normally around 2 Volts. Will this damage the power amp due to extra voltage?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Sergei

IP Logged
Sergei M
Verified Member

Re: ZSTAGE: Gain VS Volume
Reply #1 - 04/25/16 at 15:30:12

As per the user manual.

"WHEN NOT TO USE GAIN:
If you have an amplifier with the typical input sensitivity of 1 volt or less, adding gain will make it nearly unusable as the volume control just barely turned on would cause the amp to get too loud too fast. If the amplifier has a gain control, it can be turned down making it possible to use a gain stage or preamp with gain if so desired."

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/16 at 01:40:38

Sorry no one answered your question.
Do you have the Zstage?
How did it work out?

Questions like yours require more information about the CD player, amp, and speakers.
What is the rest of your system?  

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 07/31/16 at 16:07:44

Sergie- Did you get your Zstage, and how is it working with your SS amp?Happy listening, Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print