Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 07:28:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wideband + tweeter vs full ranger (Read 7186 times)
Adriankn
Verified Member

Wideband + tweeter vs full ranger
04/17/16 at 22:30:11

I'm looking at a few possible speakers for my TORII. My Adagios are great but need a much larger room as they are very picky about distance from back wall and side walls.

I'm looking at Zu Essence, Tyler Acoustic PD15 for wideband plus tweeter configuration. Or Decware HDT, Omega 7XS or Super Alnico Monitors.

On paper, I'm worried that only the Zu Essence will go low enough for my taste vs my current Adagios. And will hopefully have a bit of that full range magic. But I haven't heard any of them. I listen to everything from jazz to electronic. But truth of timber is probably my biggest concern. Particularly with bass, I like a kick drum to sound like a drum. My Adagios do this extraordinarily well when in a larger room. But my old room was 18x21 and my new room is 13x16. Bass loads certain areas and there are nulls/cancellations in others. I have moved the room around several times and added bass traps and a couple panels. Everything sounds much more even, but far less relaxed than before, with some bloating in 40hz region. Very slight, but enough to make the speakers sound a little strained in my new room.

Any thoughts on the above mention speakers? Willing to try one even to be dissatisfied. I'm sure most of these will sound better than the Adagios in this particular case.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Wideband + tweeter vs full ranger
Reply #1 - 04/18/16 at 01:43:59

I would suggest going with limited bass speakers and use distributed bass (or open baffle bass) in a small room.

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/16 at 02:44:59

Using bass support would require both a preamplifier with dual stereo outputs and either multiple amps or active subs. But I'm afraid that would be too far removed from where I'm at with my system and budget. But open baffles with a passive crossover might work well. Just interested in trying the minimal or zero order crossover approach. I've only heard it a few times and was quite enthralled with the results. But never with demanding music or synthetic bass, deep organ or anything.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 04/18/16 at 18:48:23

Can't speak to the Adagio's, as I've never heard them.  But after 35+ years of seeking the holy grail of audio and owning more kinds of speakers than I can even enumerate or remember... I have "arrived" at full-range, crossoverless drivers mounted in open baffles, driven full-range by a Decware Torii, augmented by open baffle Hawthorne Audio Augie bass drivers driven by a Crown XLS series amp, which has built in xover capability.  The sound is superb, best I've ever had in my listening room.  This setup does require use of a preamp with dual outputs, or at least a preamp or source, with a robust enough power supply to drive the amp hooked to the full rangers and the amp driving the Augie's.  Another option is to use a "plate amp" with speaker level inputs, and drive it off the speaker outputs of the full-range amp.  I have done this many times in the past and have had good success with this configuration as well.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/18/16 at 23:16:12

"Using bass support would require both a preamplifier with dual stereo outputs"

Not true, as maddog has suggested, speaker level inputs can be used and the bass can be adjusted to fit the room.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/16 at 00:04:56

Like you I have had a number of floor standing full range speakers over the years. All have had some placement issues as you mention. Although the larger speakers tend to have greater Bass output, in most cases I have not found it all that accurate.

I have had the Omega Super Alnico Monitors for some time now driven with a Zen UFO and this is a great match. Very accurate, tight bass. I use these with passive Low Frequency Open Baffle's (LoFOB's) that I built. The LoFOB's add a good deal of presence.

I've given up on large full range speakers. I prefer the monitors and then augment the bass or mid-bass if you wish. I listen to a wide variety of music and the system rocks on all of it. I think the Omega Alnico's would sound great in your room.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/19/16 at 19:06:45

I have a setup very similar to Maddog's and run without a pre-amp.  Very good sound with the Torii.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 04/19/16 at 21:09:24

Adriankn- I am using Omega 7XRS and Omega Deep 8 sub run linelevel off my Decware Rachel amp, no preamp. Sounds sublime, coherent and enough bottom. If I had it to do over again speaker wise, I would have opt for the floor standing Alnico's that Louis builds and eventually added a sub. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/22/16 at 21:47:19

So if I want to go full range with a sub or two, can I jumper the sub(S) directly off of the speaker taps on the speakers rather than the amp? This seems to be what Omega does on their Outlaw speakers that have built in subs. Just wondering if it effects the impedance or signal from the Torii to the speakers in anyway. I really don't want to feed the speakers through the plate amps line out. I'd much rather go direct from the amp. Nor would I really care to buy another set of $800 speaker cables to get the results I could from just using a decent cable to jumper to the subs.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 04/22/16 at 23:04:53

Adriankn - I think you would be fine. In my set up I have done it both ways with no difference in sound quality (from the amp, or jumping from the speakers). In my set up I pulled two lengths of Straightwire Super Quad 12/4 (it was free from work) from the closet to the wall with the speakers & sub so two conductors are for the main speaker and two are for the sub both left and right. I heard no difference though when I just ran jumpers from the speakers to the sub but it looks a lot cleaner in my set up like this. Our Rachel amp doesn't seem to care at all when you add the sub. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print