Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:23:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can tube compliment effect roll off? (Read 7234 times)
Adriankn
Verified Member

Can tube compliment effect roll off?
04/04/16 at 03:00:34

My Torii Mk3 Vcaps seems to roll off an octave higher (not as deep) as my Almarro A318B. In all other respects I prefer it, albeit slim margin. I'm wondering if this roll off is due to my tube compliment? I've got 6N1P input tubes and TAD EL84 RCA regulation tubes (all four) and crap rectifiers, that I think are the stock ones they are nice looking very large for a 5U4, brown base made in China new production. I got it second hand and have some Mesa EL34 and RCA 5U4 but one was bad and blew a fuse. Anyway, of the EL34s neither made a difference in that regard but I preferred the TAD slightly.

Will tubes effect the roll off? And where should I start? My speakers are rated 30hz -3db but I get solid response down to 25hz and lower with the Almarro, where there is a hard roll off at 30hz with the Torii. Maybe that's the nature of this amp. But will have to try some tubes perhaps. I am thinking of trying 6922 inputs. And better rectifiers. Maybe the Gold Lion KT77. But changing all would be pricey. I kind of want to try the selection at Cryoset, if only for reliability sake.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Can tube compliment effect roll off?
Reply #1 - 04/06/16 at 17:09:28

Hey Adrian,

Do you have the impedance switches on the more powerful setting? Steve says to go by sound, not specs...so with 6 ohm speakers, the 4 ohm setting your Torii (if it is built 4/8 ohm) will push your drivers more giving more body and weight. Also I guess you have played with the bass nobs? For me, those took a while to learn. And...does your amp have more than 600 hours? Bass develops slower and those caps are notorious for taking a long time.

Since the difference between 30 and 25 is pretty minor, little stuff might matter. There is a factor with the Toriis in how they communicate with different speakers, the way they ride the impedance to deliver power fully. Most folks that complain seem to have too much bass rather than too little, but since you had it before, I suspect you can get it.

In my room, I have to dump with eq with a shelf at 18 Hz (which slopes higher up) in order to solve too much below 32 or so. This was the case with my MKIII also and may be as much room as anything, but the information is definitely there. New HR-1s are rated to 32-22K. Mine were toward the end of pre-production before going up on the Decware site, and I don't think they have changed much, but I thought I recalled a little lower on bottom. I have not measured with an accurate enough setup to say what is happening here, but the low bass cut sounds better to me, cleaning up low/low muddle. The MKIV does not seem to role off but very slightly in the 15 range, and I bet the MKIII is similar.

Your rectifiers are probably Shuguang or Valve Art 274B (same tube though perhaps different selection). Some folks like them a lot, and the Preferred Shuguang series is supposed to sound better, but I don't know that. You will most likely get more micro information and extension with early RCA 5U4G-ST (coke bottle). The ones of those I have with deeper/bigger bass have thicker black plates, especially the space between the plates proper and the part of the plates the vertical wire goes up through...I think early 50s. Bottom getters on mine. I have some with top getters that are more open that I prefer, but I don't need deeper bass.

Sounds like you have nice VRs, RCAs are good. But make sure the coke bottle one is an OA3. If it is an OB3, it will push your power tubes less. This would be the place to start if it is not the more powerful OA3.

You will likely get a more solid, linear feeling sound from KT66. Genelex are extended and big/warm sounding, and Shuguang/Valve Art (TAD look like these) with most tube sets here are a more open/spacious but also extended. Lon has done a lot of exploring with his MkIIIs in this area, and I have not, but with my MKIV, I personally prefer KT66 or Tungsol 6L6G, which I think I recall is not your usual 6L6. I have not heard your particular EL34s, but I tend not to prefer EL34s, though many do, especially the Siemens/RFTs (different labels around E German made).

I have not explored the KT77 either, but it sounds like they tend to tighten up the bottom from reports. If you search this site you will find some comments.

Bass clarity and depth will improve if you happen to need cleaner power, or if you have vibration issues also.

Sorry not to more helpful with some specifics, but hope this helps some.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/16 at 02:37:06

So I had a weird issue with one of the 0A3 tubes flickering and a fizzle in that channel. Without troubleshooting (swapping the 0A3 sides) I ran out and purchased some 6922 input tubes, new 0A3 and 0C2 tubes and a pair of Winged C 5U4 black plates. I tossed all them in at once, like a goof. The fizzle prosisted, but more on that in a second. The dynamics were kicked way up. I didn't know if it was the 6922 or the 5U4 replacement. I should mention the 0A3 and 0C2 were identical RCAs, so no changes there. Anyway, it sound way more clear and the bass was right where I wanted it.

It took me about an hour to realize that some mid bass was missing. Enough that certain songs sounded totally different. Upper mids were there, treble and bass below 50hz was off the charts. Plus I could finally use the bass trim and notice a difference. The treble trim makes a huge difference, but with the old 5U4 and 6N1P combo the bass trim did very little, if anything.

Anyway, I blamed the lack of midbass on the 6922 tubes and tossed the 6N1P back in there and still very little in the way of midbass. And now I was treated to the warm, not so dynamic sound of the Sovtek 6N1P with no midbass presence. It wasn't the greatest sound, at all. So, back the 6922 went and I had previously switched all the tube from left to right to diagnose the fizzle on the right 0A3 and speaker. It still happened, same side. So I thought "shit  now I have a filter cap going!" And of course they're VCaps. Anyway, when I put the lowly EH 6922 tubes back in I also reseated all the tubes and now I've got none of the fizzle, so far anyway. Dynamics are great, but the midbass still suffers. I'll have to let these burn in a good bit and then compare the cheapo Chinese 5U4 with the Russian winged C. I didn't expect them to effect the tone so much. And I didn't expect to love the EH, but they are certainly sounding great so far and I can drive the amp much louder without distortion than the 6N1P. I was actually starting to think the Torii didn't have the balls that my old 18 watt SET amp did. Guess I was wrong.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/08/16 at 16:03:38

I agree with much that Will states.  I have pretty much followed what he and Lon propose in the way of tube compliment and am pretty happy with the sound across the spectrum.

I sometimes miss the dynamics of the 274Bs, but the RCAs are so rich and extended that I am sticking with them for now.

My only difference is the Reflektor silver shield 6n23ps I am using as input tubes on my Mk III.  To me they have more of an impact on the high end than the low end so I don't think that would help.  I do find the 6n1ps to be dull in comparison.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/08/16 at 17:14:02

Pal, I think you would hear and enjoy the effects of the magnets that Will has been using in that configuration. They are very unobtrusive, hard to see them. . . . But the results are right along the lines you would want them to be.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/16 at 19:34:58

Sorry, I forgot about 6N1Ps being in there. I could never get them to work in the Torii due to early distortion in particular, but also lack of micro detail.

EH 6922 (black box) came with my MKIV and I was impressed with them during burnin, but have not gone back to compare in a long time. I remember them as "big" and extended with nice textured mids though. Extension and tighter sound is a characteristic of the 6922 family, but then they get quite variable, no two sounding alike in my experience. Also, there are anomalies in the other families. I just found some 59 Siemens CBS labelled 6DJ8s and they are amazing... warm, articulate, quite extended tubes, excellent nuance, with rich textures of good ECC88s.

Your description sounds like some of the tubes may have been losing steam. Comparing rectifiers will likely tell there. The 274Bs should go low. If you "went out" and bought tubes, I guess your tube store has a tester? Could be interesting.

The bass knobs do more than just bass...worth a listen now that they do something.

Don't know the vintage of your Russian rectifiers, but my 55's do have that Winged C vibe of big low bass, and enhanced mid-upper mids, a sort of classic sort of smooth "warmth" sound which could balance as leaner mid-bass. Worth comparing the 274Bs and see, that is if they are good. I am guessing more of the difference is the EHs, and that the 6N1Ps may be tired?

Have you cleaned your VR socket pins?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/09/16 at 01:35:02

Thanks Will and everyone.

I don't know what my previous rectifiers were. They are just tall coke bottle shaped tubes, brown bases that say nothing but "5U4 Made in China" in white print on them.

Will, I find the exact thing with my Torii/Adagio pairing with 6N1P vs 6922. The bass definition is only slightly better on the 6922, but dynamics and extension are lacking on the 6N1P and they are very prone to distortion. Hence why I thought the  Torii's 26 watts were a bit exaggerated. The tubes may have been a bit tired. They are likely 5+ years old. The guy and The Tube Store (I live an hour from their warehouse/store) trecommended trying the EH 6922 black box. I like them so far. The Winged C are 54' I believe, black base, not grey. They sound much better as far as air and treble extension go. It's obviously much more subtle than the input tube swap. But they are not as bass heavy as the China 5U4. Although that wasn't what I was looking for necessarily, just lower reaching. The input tubes will.likely play a bigger role here. I kind of feel.silly.for buying the exact same 0A3 and 0C2 RCAs. I will try other mix down the road. They had Raytheon 0C3 that I think might be the blue glow ones. For $10 a pop, I should have grabbed them too just to see if I liked what they did with the input tube voltage over the RCAs. Some other time maybe.

I really want to try Reflektor 6922 and Siemens EC88 as well. Any experience there? Are you using RCA rectifiers right now, Will? I was thinking of giving those a go as well. But I've got a pretty huge surplus of tubes already. Might try 6CA7 EH power tubes from Cryoset. Or KT77 Goldlions. Although I might hold off on power tubes for the next order and just get some really decent input tubes, although good ones seem hard to come by.

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/09/16 at 01:50:14

Lon (or Will), what are these magnets? Isolation devices?

Currently I'm using Ingress Audio (also fairly local to me) roller blocks on the amp, my DAC and he is making me custom feet for my speakers and an audio stand I'm making. They definitely do something under the amp and speakers! I don't currently have enough for both until my order is delivered, but I did a lot of experimenting today and decided I need them under that amp for now. They really tighten things up a bit.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/09/16 at 01:59:36

I use the Ingress under my speakers often, didn't like them as much as others under components. The magnets Will is using and that I have started to use are just applied to the sides of the transformers to eliminate a little noise and possibly transformer vibrations. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/09/16 at 02:24:19

Are they a specific manufacturer? The ingress feet definitely are the best things I've tried so far for tube amps, but admittedly do nothing but look cool under my DAC.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/09/16 at 03:13:09

Adrian, Here is the thread with magnet info. I linked where my wife got the ones I use and there are other references. https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1459789812/20#20

More later on tubes. But I was mistaken. I thought you said the Chinese rectifiers were wider, so thought they were the new Chinese 274B. It sounds like they are Ruby/Shuguang 5U4Gs though. If you look for Shuguang or Valve Art 274B you will see these are wide bottles, and the standard 5U4s are narrower. It matter which you have though as a sound reference for what you like (or don't) as these two tubes sound pretty different.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/09/16 at 11:51:49

I've been using those magnets Will just provided a link to for a day now. Smiley I don't get to listen much on the weekends, so more experimentation next week but they're interesting with sound.

In my system the Ingress RollerBlocks under my amp robbed me of low bass. But I was using Mapleshade maple platforms and PS Audio PowerBases as well at the time, each system is different when combining stands and footers, and whether the floors are suspended or cement, etc. In my case I preferred the Herbie's Audio Lab Iso-Cups and now am using VooDoo Cable IsoPods under amp and components.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print