Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 04:42:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling SE34I.5 - old tube store in my city.. (Read 3898 times)
DanH
Verified Member

Tube rolling SE34I.5 - old tube store in my city..
04/03/16 at 18:25:21

Hi all. I have an SE34I.5 and am interested in rolling tubes. I've been running the stock TUNG-SOL tube config for the last year and it sounds really good. So here's me question. What other tubes might I consider that would really make a great impact for this amp? I'm running them into a matched set of Klipsch Heresy 2s.

So there is a throwback store in my neighborhood with many hundreds of old stock tubes. For example, he has a few RCA EL34's from the early 70's for 25 bucks each, and when I check Ebay, the same ones are selling for much more. I asked if he had 274 rectifiers and he said he'd have to get his helper (that wasn't there) to fetch them out of the back room. I take that as a good sign. Should I consider the RCA EL34's? and what other potentially nice tubes might I look for at this place?

Thanks,
Dan

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube rolling SE34I.5 - old tube store in my city..
Reply #1 - 04/03/16 at 18:56:05

Hi Dan,the RCA`s could be pretty good. Dont think I`ve noticed many. The RCA 5R4GY`s are good and theres usually a choice of `getters`.
I`m actually running Foton 6P3S-E`s in my Rachaels which I like a lot, replacing my Tesla nos tubes for an extended run. The Fotons are the pre-70`s.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/03/16 at 18:56:20

I would say go for it and report back on what you think. If you don't already have a set of back up tubes, you should get back ups.

I would suggest that you search the forums about the 274B. There are some warnings out there about tube life with certain brands of 274B.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/16 at 19:13:34

Dan,

The Valve Art 274B that is likely your reference, Steve thinks is really more a 5U4G-ST type. Real 274s can be a potential problem with Decware amps, electronically being different, but I can't recall why. If you search the forum for posts from Steve with 274 in the search, you will likely find his post on this.

Sounds like a great find and worth doing some research on what else the guy has!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DanH
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/03/16 at 20:34:46

Wow great information. I really appreciate the feedback! I will report back after I pick up the EL34's this week. I asked if the tubes were tested and he said "they were by the factory" many years ago, and that they shipped him 8% extra on every order since that was the pass/fail rate on tubes back then. I suppose I can use the built-in testers on the amp to gauge their viability. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print