Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:48:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Directstream DAC owners (Read 5343 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Directstream DAC owners
03/25/16 at 08:10:01

I'm hoping that one of you audio wizards w/the PS Audio Directstream dac can answer a question that I don't see addressed on their website. I see that the dac has XLR and RCA outputs. Are they both active at the same time? I like to cut out the preamp wherever I can, run my mids/tweeters w/the balanced outs and the woofer w/the unbalanced, or sometimes switch. I started doing this b/c I don't like using Y-cables to split the signal. Any help?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Directstream DAC owners
Reply #1 - 03/25/16 at 11:54:55

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/16 at 07:37:17

Thanks for the info, Lon. And bummer. I was hoping that they were both active at the same time (like my Wadia and my Teac dacs). I have been wanting to upgrade my computer audio, as it still lags my cd sound by quite a bit, but I think that I'll have to pass on the Directstream. I don't want to buy something on the HOPE that it might work ok in my system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/26/16 at 12:02:33

Well, as I read that thread it seems they are both active at the same time and someone thought there was a little problem with the sound when both are in use, only one person it seemed.

Haven't used them both myself and don't have enough balanced cabling to try that at the moment. . . . Love my DirectStream--it's not going anywhere. Even still have one of the PerfectWave DACs as I love that too.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/16 at 14:16:05

The DS DAC is so good I would have to consider a ZSB switch box if were I in your position. I'm already anticipating the next firmware update. It's like getting a new DAC every year.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/26/16 at 14:31:33

Amen.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/27/16 at 06:56:11

Thanks, ILance. Coincidentally, I just bought El Capitan's ZSB, but mostly for comparing components/cables. When I really sit down to listen, I want as few connections in the path as I can have. For instance, my simplest system: I have one of Steve's older modified Tascam cd players with the tubed output stage w/volume control. I run that straight into my Cary/AES Six Pac monoblocks, and then into the speakers. No muss, no fuss, just straight-ahead tubey goodness. My computer audio, however, is the problem. Every time that I think that I'm getting close, I go back to the system detailed above, and I realize how far off I am. I love the convenience of having all my music on my Mac, using my iPad as remote, etc, but ultimate hi-fi, it ain't.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/28/16 at 08:52:46

Hey Lon, after I read your comments above, I reread the forum that you posted. I see what you are saying about only one person reporting a problem. I guess what worries me is Ted's comment (see below), that if it works well in a given system, it's fine. I'd hate to order one, and have it not work in my application. I'm still considering it, tho, due to the rave reviews by those of you who have it in your systems.

"Nope, the unbalanced is paralleled with the “top” of the balanced outputs.  But with any reasonable loads the loudness won’t change.  Tho it would be convenient it would add quite a bit to the price for there to be two independent outputs.  As others have said, try it, if it works well for you it’s fine".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print