Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:15:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adagio's (modified) vs. 705's! (Read 4904 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Adagio's (modified) vs. 705's!
03/22/16 at 19:59:47

Pumped up gentlemen. Polk finally thru a sale on the LSiM's! 50% off/NEW. I have a pair coming late Friday.

At 78 lbs. each and 47 x 8 x 14 deep w/sweet Spikes....they are formidable but movable. The 707's are to big and not necessary for me and my ZMA.

Of course they will need 70 to 100 hours on them first....then let the battle rounds begin!  .....I have 60 days to put them thru the gauntlet.... . I plan to keep both the 705's and Adagio's........we will hear.  At $1500 for the pair....it was a no brainer...... .

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/polk-audio-lsim707-loudspeaker/

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/polk.htm

NOS Platinum Cryogenic Mullard's arrive tomorrow.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD!

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS Platinum Ediswan Cryogenic 6922's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & *9* of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 55% from 0

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 10%, 15% to 25% max, from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Adagio's (modified) vs. 705's!
Reply #1 - 03/23/16 at 15:13:34

Tracking numbers are in! Delivery on Friday. Crutchfield rocks on 3 day free delivery!

I made the right choice with the 705's from Polkie's I trust. Of course, my own ears will be the judge. With 60 days and only costing me 10 bucks per Speaker to return and picked up by UPS at my door....I can't lose. The price? Forgettabout it! = steal
(Matter of fact: Crutchfield sold out of them in 36 hours from Monday morning/now on back order....glad I grabbed my new pair of Mt. Vernon Cherry when I did).

Good with Tubes.....you damn bet they are. My LS90's un-modified were superb with Tubes. High hopes on the 705's....will hear/see.
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165015/lsim-703-vs-705

"DSkip  Posts: 10,572  

December 2014  

Like Enders said, the top section of the 707 utilizes the same drivers as the 703, but the 703 midwoofer is ported instead of being sealed like on the 707. This creates mildly different sonic signatures between the three speakers. I prefer the 703, but also agree that the 705 is the more correct and better speaker. The 705 is all anyone should ever need. For the purist, the 705 is definitely the way to go.

I've heard the 707, 705, and 703 on SS and tubes. They love tubes and can even sound superb on 10 watts per channel. If I were to buy a pair, I'd get the 703's for two reasons: bang for buck and the fun aspect they have. The midbass is bloated a bit, but not the same as many others in that same, bloated midbass category like the Monitor 10 and LSi9".

The 705's have such competition though, against my Adagio's....deliver room shaking bass without f'in up the midband! The 705's are to be capable of doing that......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 03/23/16 at 15:50:59

One thing about the Polkie's though (some, not all obviously)....they just don't get? How my ZDSD/CSP3/Zen Mystery Amplifier ~ DESTROY'S ~ the best/150 watt/ch solid state amps. Oh well...... . Destroy's all solid state.... .

I guess their will always be the Solid State vs. Tube - divide. Each to their own....long as you enjoy it.

I do tolerate and have fun with my Rock concert from a box into my behemoth Polk SRS SDA 1.2's downstairs though. Glorious Speaker's.

Just wish I could afford my Listening Room and doing what the Dark Knight over on the Polk Forum has down with PASS Amps and his 1.2 TL's!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 03/28/16 at 15:49:26

You would think I would know better by now? Do I have 30 years experience or 1 year of experience 30 times?!

Anyway, I let the 705's burn in for 72 hours (55 really), then hauled them in the Listening Room. Now, I realize they may need some more time (easy Speaker's to drive too~you would think they were 92 or 93 db @1watt/1meter). However, now that I've gone to single caps in my Adagio's (one year now and counting), I can't go back to x-over's! My Listening Room with my Decware: The resolution and subsequent additional truth of timbre, can't be beat with my Adagio's. The beautifully integrated Transmission Line of the Acoustic Zen's can't be beat either.

The 705's are nice Speaker's for Solid State. I can see where the uninitiated would have them (at the sale price offered 3/21 through 3/27).

I need to suffer for my Art, to bring clarity of mind. I have! Funds will be freed up for more NOS Tube rolling.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/16 at 17:07:07

Quote:
I need to suffer for my Art, to bring clarity of mind. I have! Funds will be freed up for more NOS Tube rolling.

Stone -- How about setting yourself up with a nice vinyl rig?  Seriously!  (Not to suffer though.   Wink   )

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 03/30/16 at 15:08:16

Hi Archie, I do have a modest Vinyl Rig. It is in my main solid state Rig w/Polk SRS SDA 1.2's. I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III with Pro-Ject Phono Box II.

The girlfriend and I have Friday Vinyl nights with a bottle of wine. She loves enjoying Vinyl with me/at this level. Great mid-fi Rig! At $30 to $35 bucks a pop for 180 gram good stuff....I'm not willing to go down the Vinyl Rabbit Hole any further. My Album collection is 150 to 180 pressings..... .

Now, my CD collection is 1200 to 1400 Disc's. I've lost count. So, my Listening Room is now set and NOS Platinum Tube Rolling from Kevin at Upscale Audio + buying Music are my remaining VICE'S!

Well, also back to the OP of my thread here. I took the bate on these Speaker's at 1/2 price and free freight both ways. My intention was if not liked with stock Caps/I would have modified/upgraded with Mundorf Silver Oils...and make this my new Speaker enhancement Project.

However, I've decided, my Modified Adagio's in my Listening Room and my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's in my solid state Rig, are all I need/cant be beat!

I have downsized from 11 pair of Speakers to 3. The 3rd pair is an old pair of Parker 95 Crusader's I still want to sell....that are just sitting... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3