The "one"? (Read 1849 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

The "one"?
03/07/16 at 00:51:22

What is the one best album?
I know that it is a question that really can't be answered.
But push comes to shove, what do you really like?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: The "one"?
Reply #1 - 03/07/16 at 01:06:53

Pink Floyd -- Wish You Were Here.  On vinyl of course.  And you can't beat the album art!   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/07/16 at 12:10:04

Gosh, I've actually thought of this and I'd have to say either Miles Davis "Bitches Brew," or Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys." But if my life is happiest and mellowest, Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/16 at 17:29:21

Quote:
or Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys."

Gee, I have an old copy of this.  I'll have to give it a listen!

King Crimson, "Court of the Crimson King" is also a contender.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/16 at 17:57:43

The original B O Gypsies with tripping waxwork dolls of Hendrix, John Peel, Brian Jones and..........remember it well.
L.A. Woman
Larks Tongues In Aspic. It would be a tough call for the Desert Island between that and Electric Ladyland.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/07/16 at 18:02:25

That would be the Track import cover, as the US release has the original cover of Hendrix and his guitar, but yeah, great music. . . . I think the US cover best represents the album as he had left the British Pop scene behind him by then.

Band of Gypsys covers
US Capitol LP cover:

UK Track Records cover:

Honestly, I'd probably say "Bitches Brew" if I could only pick one to be "the one," but "Band of Gypsys" is so close, both have been so influential in my musical world.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/07/16 at 22:29:07

Oh no. I cannot pick!
Every time I make up my mind to say it, one of the contenders pops into my head and I feel too guilty to type it!
Damn!
If I had to say which has the most worn groove it would no doubt be this:

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 03/07/16 at 23:35:49

I stopped after I asked this question and asked it to myself.
Everyone is right, top 5 is easy, #1 is much harder. It is like figuring what child is your favorite (easy for me, no kids) or your favorite ice cream.
Today I'm going with "Excitable Boy" by Warren Zevon.
Tomorrow it might be "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughan
The next day it might be "Borderline" by Ry Cooder
Thursday it might be "Childish Things" by James McMurtry
Damn, this is hard.
Oh, I forgot "Bring the Family" by John Hiatt
and....and....

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/17 at 18:52:34

I feel the need to chime in with another Hendrix album I'm particularly fond of. Rainbow Bridge. The original tapes were stolen and he went to the studio (probably pissed off) and came up with a whale of a recording.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/21/17 at 19:03:54

I hate to be "that guy" but I don't believe that the story about tapes being lost is at all accurate. Rainbow Bridge was an album compiled after his death without his involvement from a number of tapes that were both studio and live.

Here's the skinny on Rainbow Bridge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(album)

The tapes for the first "final mix" of the Axis Bold as Love album were lost. . .Hendrix had left them in a taxi and when he realized it they were never found and returned to him. He went back in the studio and created a second mix. . . he had been really proud of and happy with the mix tapes that were lost, but he did a great job with the second mix in my opinion. . . .

Here's the skinny on Rainbow Bridge:

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/21/17 at 19:56:41

No problem at all. I appreciate the correction. I agree with the wikipedia person saying that the studio versions are excellent finished tracks. Pali Gap, Hey Baby and Earth Blues are amazing songs. I love the "perfect woo" towards the end of Earth Blues.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/21/17 at 20:39:31

It's a great record. . . "Earth Blues" has always been a favorite of mine, I love the simplicity of the basic riff.

I hope one day they release the entire Maui concert either on video or just the audio, cleaned up. . . . I think it has the potential to be awesome.

IP Logged
Coaster88
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/16/18 at 02:36:09

Astral Weeks

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #13 - 04/17/18 at 01:35:11

I have made no secret of the fact that I'm a big fan of 90% of the music on the German Stockfisch label .....

Most music lovers have never heard of any of the artists who have recorded on Stockfisch (with the exception of Sara K) ..... but the music is good and the recordings are top shelf. They offer CDs as well as LPs and the quality of the CDs is probably a byproduct of the fact that they take the LP side of the operation seriously and have passed it along to the digital format.

Much of the music is of the type that you have to listen to it a few times to appreciate it ..... but all of a sudden you realize just how good it is. I'm certain that many of the readers of this forum can relate to that .....

I am smitten with several of the Stockfisch artists ..... David Munyon, Chris Jones, Allan Taylor, Ewen Carruthers, David Roth, Carl Cleves & Parissa Bouas ..... but one CD by one artist has to be "the one" for me ..... "Just Like Love" by Steve Strauss.

It's difficult to assign a genre to this music, but almost every song on the disk keeps me pinned in my listening seat.

My "desert island" favorite, for sure.

All of the Stockfisch SACDs have a Redbook layer for CD players.

Stockfisch recordings can be purchased in the US from Elusive Disc.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/17/18 at 02:56:39

Randy, you got me curious but I can't find that on vinyl and I'm not ready to pay over $30 for a CD.   Sad

My "the one," right now anyway, is Emmylou Harris', "Luxury Liner."  Tulsa Queen will make you weep!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #15 - 04/17/18 at 15:07:17

Hi Archie,

I'm pretty sure that the only song from this album on vinyl is on a sampler LP .....

I know that the CD / SACD prices are steep ..... but Stockfisch CDs sound better than a lot of LPs from other labels.

Well .... at least they do on my digital front end .....

I have received 30 bucks worth of enjoyment from this album many times over .....

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/17/18 at 15:24:57

I'll keep looking for a copy.  My digital isn't super strong since I don't use it much.  Just a 10 year old Oppo 980 dvd player.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/24/18 at 14:50:38

Nope it's The Who Quadrophenia.

Quadrophenia by far has had the most listening time of any other album I've ever owned by far. I can't really listen to it now though.  it's a lot like Caddy Shack.  I laugh at the setup and don't wait for the joke.  Not that Caddy Shack is the one for movies that would be Blade Runner

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/09/18 at 00:42:51

Randy,

I bought a mint copy of that Steve Strauss CD from a Turkish seller on Discogs for 19 Euros.  I'm listening to it now and I see why you are a fan.  I can see this getting under my skin.  Thanks for the great recommendation.   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/08/18 at 21:41:29

The Steve Strauss CD is definitely worth the money. I love it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print