03/28/24 at 10:56:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3 making noise (Read 7239 times)
JohnnyB

CSP3 making noise
02/29/16 at 23:08:27

Hi All,

I just noticed after powering on my gear and letting it warm up that my CSP3 is emitting a low noise.  Not a hum or squeal but like a ticking, sizzling sound like the tubes make when they warm up. The amp had been on for 45 minutes and it's still making the noise.  It doesn't effect the sound of the music one bit nor can I hear it unless I turn the volume all the way down and put my ears within 2' from the tubes.  Is this normal?  Tube(s) on the way out?  Doesn't sound like the rectifier tube either.

Thanks,

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP3 making noise
Reply #1 - 03/01/16 at 00:41:30

My experience is that tubes are inhabited by ghosts that like to mess with us!  I've had luck with just moving tubes around.  I was running the same type of rectifier in my ZP3 and CSP3 and the tube made audible noise in my ZP3 but was quiet when I switched it to the CSP3.  Currently I'm trying to track down a funky input tube but it doesn't act up when I move them around so I can't isolate the bad tube.  Go figure.

So, in my experience it is normal but not necessarily common.  You might try some different tubes.  One can never have too many, right?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #2 - 03/01/16 at 01:27:35

Thanks Archie, now that I know there are ghosts in there I need to exorcise them.  I'm the second owner if the CSP3 so I can't say for sure how many hours are on the tubes.  It might be the rectifier tube but it's hard to tell, I will reseat them and see what happens.  You're right, might be time to start a tube collection. Everyone needs back ups.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/16 at 21:17:34

Johnny, just to clarify, my rectifiers were making noise themselves and not noise through the speakers.  I have had bad tubes in my ZP3 and ZMA that made speaker noise or distortion though.  So far any amp issues have been traced back to tube issues and not hardware -- fortunately!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #4 - 03/02/16 at 10:38:10

Archie, I was forwarded this article on tube noise form Jim McShane and followed instructions on cleaning the sockets. Tube(s) were quieter at start up but fell back to a noisy state after 1/2 hour or so. I didn't have any DeoxIT so I used some CRC electronic cleaner, I will try again when I get some DeoxIT and see what happens.
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/25/253369.html

For good measure I ordered a full set of backup / replacement tubes from Jim.  A Genalax U77/GZ34 for the rectifier, a Genalax 6922 for the input and 6N1P-EB's Voshkod a Rocket Logo for the outputs. I will let you know what I find once I get the tubes on Thursday.  :) Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/02/16 at 16:26:23

Thanks for the link.  I don't have any cleaner and I am guilty of not doing proper socket cleaning -- I sort of rely on the "friction" clean technique.  Interesting about your results.  I have a hunch that his 75% is a bit high though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #6 - 04/29/16 at 14:26:57

Sorry for the late reply, I did order a full compliment of tubes and went with the Genalex U77/GZ34 as a rectifier.  I Haven't popped the 274B back in yet to do any comparison.  No more noise coming from the CSP3, so one of the tubes was on the fritz!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print