Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:36:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sanity check: zen 2 watt with blumenstein orca (Read 9688 times)
TomFrei
Verified Member

sanity check: zen 2 watt with blumenstein orca
02/18/16 at 21:50:21

I'm selling my dynaco st-70 ( new version made by bob latino) and want to buy the zen 2 watt amp in its place.  I have blumenstein orca speakers (conservatively rated at 89 db) and a matching orca passive subwoofer (with a matching amplifier).

I leaning toward the 2 watt zen because:

a) price, I can afford it now without waiting another 6 months
b) I don't listen at really loud levels -- people start yelling at me if I play too loudly (kids, wife, dog even barks)
c) I can always add another zen amp later (when perhaps I have more money) and bridge to dual mono for more power

Does this approach sound crazy to you, or should I look more seriously at the rachel amp?

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Re: sanity check: zen 2 watt with blumenstein orca
Reply #1 - 02/19/16 at 01:02:49

Not crazy. I have the same speakers and sub in my computer room system. I also have a Zen Select and a Rachel that I use in my computer room system. The Zen will play pretty loud in my near field listening position. I currently have the Rachel in, because I needed two inputs and my Zen only has one.

The Zen is still one of my favs! However the Orca's do like the 6 watts the Rachel supplies.

My last comment would be your not settling if you buy the ZEN it is that good and I will never let mine go!

Greetings from Kevin in OKC!

Smiley

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
TomFrei
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/16 at 04:26:36

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I put the order in for the new zen today.  I see this thing as a journey anyway, since I don't think I can build the perfect system right off the bat.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/16 at 15:28:49

Orcas will get plenty loud in my 11x12 foot listening room using the little Zen.  Unless you have a big room or listen at unusually high volumes, you should be fine.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
TomFrei
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/16 at 13:18:19

Since I started this thread, I thought I would update on my experience now that I have the zen and have listened to it.  

Short answer: plenty of volume.  I listen in a basement room that is roughly 16 x 25 .  I listen facing one of the short walls having the speakers set up about 12 ft from each other.  My position is about 12 ft from each speaker setting up an equilateral triangle.  

I was listening to Marc Cohn's 1972 Listening Room and I found the volume more than sufficient.

IP Logged
MOtub
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/16/17 at 00:01:01

I hesitated for too long buying a Zen to drive Blumenstein Orca speakers. I finally did it and have been listening for a week now. I have to say I'm completely satisfied, and my fears were misplaced. My room is around 15 X 20 and the combination plays plenty loud for me. In fact, I think this is a particularly good combination of components. The Blumensteins are fast and clear, and really show off what this little amp is capable of. I was hung up on a number (2 wpc) and just couldn't believe that could be enough. It is.

IP Logged
MOtub
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/17/17 at 20:19:58

In case "plenty loud" just isn't specific enough, here's what I measured today with an iPhone app.

In my room of about 15 X 20, seated about 2 meters away from the Blumenstein Orcas, playing vinyl with the volume on the Zen at 3 o'clock; 75 - 85 db with a max level of around 88.

Playing a CD which has a line level signal of the full 2 volts, it's noticeably louder. With the volume set at around 2 o'clock I hit around 80 - 90 db.

I normally don't play anything this loud when I'm sitting right in front of it, so for close attentive listening these are both plenty loud for me. One thing that's really surprised me is the bass response from the Zen+Orca combo. It is really good. I'm completely satisfied that these speakers are a great match for the Zen.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 03/17/17 at 23:08:27

Hey Mo,  It's nice when it all comes together. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my amp is 2w. But, when they hear it it's ahhhhhhh nice!
I usually don't cranks past 9 o'clock...Usually it's
around 8 for night time - near field listening. CD's volume is 1 click lower or more when I'm running the Zstage in the signal chain. Enjoy the ride and you can look forward to the Zen amp getting better as it ages.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print