Send Topic Print
ZP3 updated for 2016 (Read 12652 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ZP3 updated for 2016
02/15/16 at 00:41:57

The ZP3 we are currently selling is actually better than the one reviewed in Tone Audio recently.  So after writing a new owner's manual (long overdue) I updated the web page with new pictures and options.

The web page: https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZP3.htm

Thanks,

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Re: ZP3 updated for 2016
Reply #1 - 02/15/16 at 03:42:15

Steve, what is the difference between the older zp3 and the newer one. Is an older one upgradeable to match the newer ones?

IP Logged
kavahead
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/16 at 22:00:15

Hi Steve, Safe to assume this applies to the ZP3's built last week? The website update is great with more photos and description and love the new owners manual. Now I'm super excited to get my "ZP3 shipped" notice this week! THX!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/16/16 at 05:28:35

When we changed from white to black ZP3's we did very little differently other than offer the beeswax cap upgrade which can be done to any ZP3 white or black.

In the last year, we deleted the standby switch and in so doing, dropped the noise floor by almost 1 db. Other than that ZP3's have changed very little since they came out.

The stock re-capped reel to reel shown above has been my number one source component. However it is easily blown away by a far more modest tape machine paired with a ZP3.  I find that inspiring for the sincere but broke audiophiles chasing the holly grail of sound quality.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/16 at 17:15:32

Quote:
In the last year, we deleted the standby switch and in so doing, dropped the noise floor by almost 1 db.

Steve,

I never use my standby switch anyway.  Could replacing it be a reasonably simple DIY?  Seems like it could be just moving some wires?  My ZP3 is my main source of noise in my system so 1 db lower would be nice!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 02/17/16 at 02:15:13

It lowers the noise floor by 1 dB due to the modified layout of the newer chassis.  Also, if you have hum from your vinyl rig, that hum being audible would ride above the noise floor so in your case the 1dB would make no difference.  We can figure out by phone what's causing it and then figure out how to make it lower.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #6 - 02/17/16 at 03:32:36

two things 1 I have dropped the hum by choosing different tubes.   2  what kind of tape machine are you talking about?

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/17/16 at 14:22:46

Forget about the tape machine... lets talk about the Trumpet light in the background... Awesome!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/17/16 at 18:00:38

Quote:
We can figure out by phone what's causing it and then figure out how to make it lower.

Two years ago when I got the ZP3 I worked hard to see if I could make the hum go away but it persisted despite two different TTs and even using a dummy load resistor in place of the TT.  I pretty much decided then that it was part of my system and not an issue when playing music.  Also, now that I have a ZMC1 in place, audible hum has been reduced since I more than doubled my ZP3 input from my cart -- as Steve predicted.

So, although I wont pass up an opportunity to lower noise, I don't consider it to be more than a very minor annoyance at this point.

Aside:  Recently, while waiting for my ZMC1 I ran my .45 mV cart straight into my ZP3--CSP3--ZMA.  I put up with a lot of hum due to the super high gain settings but the sound was still so great that I really didn't mind.  Compared to that, now it's nothing.

Darrwood, what tubes are you using that have reduced hum?  I haven't had much success in that area.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #9 - 02/18/16 at 02:22:03

I found the first 12ax7 was creating some of the hum I have a Sylvania long gray grooved plate robbed from an old tuner and the oa3 I replaced with a JAN oa3 nos a jan 5y3 wgta rectifier  they all had some lowering of hum but the oa3 made the biggest difference

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/18/16 at 12:04:17

I`m going to try one of these out. Argon-neon, so it might be one of those greenish glow tubes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG2S-Voltage-Regulator-Tube-75V-0A3-OA3-VR75-30-Valve-...

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/26/17 at 06:24:05

This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't a balanced version make sense and could improve things further? There are not many balanced phono stages out there, but I'm not sure why not, looks like it would make sense to me given that the cartridge itself should be balanced.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print