Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBC Audio Project: (Read 25514 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

DBC Audio Project:
02/02/16 at 14:55:51

Hello Palomino,

I read your Open Baffle post with interest and did not want to Hijack that thread so thought I would post separately.

Like you I was at the 2015 Decfest. I did not hear Randy's OB's but did discuss them with him. Afterwards I ended up purchasing a pair 18" square Baffles for 15" drivers from Randy and received them on 11/17/15. Work has been so busy I've not had time to post.

It was interesting to read about the path of events that got you moving in this direction. I've been using the 15" OB's more or less as Mid-Bass Reinforcement quite successfully. My path and implementation has been different than yours but interesting.

I'll continue to post as time permits and look forward to further comments from you as well.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: DBC Audio Project:
Reply #1 - 02/02/16 at 15:24:37

MY PATH TO OPEN BAFFLE:

I wrote extensively on my experimentation with HSU Mid Bass Modules here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711

Basically a somewhat traditional Box Style Sub. What is not traditional about the Mid Bass Module is it's ability to play cleanly up into the Mid Bass Region. Things I learned include:

When using a separate amp (plate or other) you have to get rid of any and all Hum (even very low level stuff). I learned a lot about eliminating ground loops and power filtration.

Especially with a down firing Sub you have to use some type of Isolation Platform to minimize introducing floor vibrations that muddy the Bass. Also found placing the Mid Bass Module too close to walls will cause wall vibration that is transmitted to other room surfaces.

Over a year ago I purchased a pair of Omega Super Alnico Monitors (Single Driver, No Crossover) and was Floored by their performance. Really drove home how much a Crossover Circuit can suck out of the music.

This led me to By-Pass the Crossover on My Mid Bass Modules. Surprisingly, running the Mid Bass Module 12" drivers full range sounded better. Next I Bypassed the Plate Amp completely and drove them directly from my Super Zen wired in parallel with the Monitors with further improvement.

At this point I was at a Cross-Road, what to do next. I considered building new Mid Bass Module enclosures. As good as the Mid Bass Modules sounded there was still a lot of cabinet vibration. The Boxy Colorations Open Baffle people talk about. So it was at this point I ordered the Baffles from Randy and decided to experiment with Open Baffle Mid Bass Reinforcement.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/16 at 15:47:46

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

I have a Mechanical Engineering background. Two things I've learned repeatedly over 35 years:

1) The Simplest solution to a problem is often the Best Solution.
2) The Simplest solution to a problem is often not as Obvious as one might think.

Simple meant I did not want another amplifier and or crossover in the system. Based on my research, running a 15" driver, full range, wired in parallel to my Omega's was unlikely to work. So why would anyone try it? Guess I just had to hear for myself.

So my Driver selection process began.

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/02/16 at 20:25:13

Thanks for weighing in DBC.  You experiments with the MBM was also a source of inspiration for me doing this build.  I am curious to get your thoughts on how the MBM box might compare to the OB approach Randy and others are taking.

Like you, I believe that its not the low, low bass but the mid bass that adds the dynamics to the music.

While intrigued by both the Pure Audio approach and the Hawthorne Audio approach, I took a different path to avoid crossovers impacting the main driver.  I kind of took the best of both worlds.   Also, I can easily try other full rangers if I am so inclined.  Just cut a new baffle and hook it up.  No new crossover to design/build.

The complexity to what I did is in introducing the Crown to the formula, but it is not that much more complex than the plate amp.  It just needs a way to convert the high level inputs to line level.

I will listen closely for hum.  I am getting some low level hum now, but I think it is more due to my sloppy DIY interconnect building skills than anything else.  I am going to try other ICs tonight to see if it goes away.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 02/02/16 at 20:45:43

10-roger on the full-rangers in the OB's and no crossover, with Augie's filling in the bottom.  This is as close to "live" as I've ever been in my room.

I'm running my Augie's low-passed at about 90 hz, 24 db/octave, so Pal, you and I are ending up in about the same place in that regard.

Until a person actually hears, with their own ears, a full-ranger, with no crossover, properly tuned-in, they just cannot realize how much life all those passive components in series and parallel between their amp and speaker suck out of the music.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/02/16 at 21:33:28

Palomino & maddog07,

We seem to be on the same page, just approaching it from different angles based on different personal experiences.

I always liked the Mid Bass Modules but my twin 15" OB's have really taken things up several notches. When doing A/B listening between the Mid Bass Modules and the OB's the difference is striking. It's not the output level but rather the Bass Quality. Never even a hint of Boom and the Bass is even throughout the room.

Being able to do a direct comparison between conventional Box and OB designs it's pretty obvious how much Noise the Box is making. The Box noise makes the low end thicker, throwing a veil over vocals and other detail on material with good Bass content.

I realize not a lot of you are listening to MotorHead. But as an example on their recordings I always found the Vocals almost indistinguishable. With the OB's I ca hear the Vocals and individual Bass notes very clearly.

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/02/16 at 21:48:52

I didn't have much of a crossover in my previous two builds (DNA/Monoliths) but the box sound was certainly there with both of them.

I am going to hook up the monoliths to see how they compare once I get everything dialed in.  I was pretty happy with those speakers.  I just wanted a more and cleaner bass,

I used to have bass "hot spots" and dead spots in my room.  I still have to do a more complete check, but I think it is much more even now.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/02/16 at 21:58:23

15" DRIVER SELECTION:

OK, I did a bunch of reading on OB's. I'm not an audio engineer so your eyes can start to glaze over pretty quickly trying to understand all the Driver specifications.

Probably the most important thing I gleaned from Martin Kings paper http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Design.pdf is that your low frequency driver must be capable of higher SPL's then in my case my Omega Super Alnico Monitors that are rated at 93db. The Hawthorne Augies are rated at 88db if I'm not mistaken so they were going to require an added amp which as stated earlier, I wanted to avoid.

Ultimately I selected the Eminence 15" Alpha 15A driver. Research indicated the 15A has been a long time favorite of Open Baffle Builders. This driver is rated at 97db and did not require a separate amp to pair with my 93db Omega Monitors.

So I ordered the drivers from Parts Express and Baffles from Randy. Put everything together, wired them up in parallel to my Omega's. I had very low expectations so I was not prepared for what I would hear. Very clean, clean, clean Articulate Bass. As Randy would say "It's Different".

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/16 at 21:59:54

And you are running those wide open, right??

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/02/16 at 22:35:23

PHOTOS OF WHERE I AM AT NOW:

I've experimented with quite a few different Baffle mounting arrangements. Started with Randy's simple 2"x 12" Base. Then mounted the Baffles to Isolation Platforms but this arrangement sounds the best to me so Far.

Obviously these are unfinished. The Brackets are simply heavy duty shelf brackets purchased at Lowe's These seem to give the 3/4" Baffle a bit more rigidity. Having them up off the floor (using 1-1/2" rubber feet) seems to help let these breathe for whatever reason?

Connected in parallel with the Monitors my Zen UFO sees a nominal 4 Ohm load. When hooking up the OB's the immediate impression is Louder, Sound Stage Expansion, More Air, More Attack. Not much difference in sound quality using 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm transformer outputs on the UFO.

The OB's simply vanish. I never hear anything coming from the OB's unless I get right up next to them. Overall Imaging is actually improved by a good margin. The listening position sweet spot is widened significantly.

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/02/16 at 22:38:46

Nice clean look.  KISS approach.  Your room is quite a bit bigger than mine.  Randy does better woodwork than me  ;)

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/02/16 at 22:55:18

Palomino,

Yep, wide open (full range). I did try a 250hz and 500hz Eminence crossover on the OB's, these appear to be of very good quality and have very good reviews at Parts Express.

The crossovers just turned everything FLAT. Sucked out all the low end Life and Dynamics. Could not believe the Night & Day difference.

I realize if you look at the Alpha 15A Driver specifications (Usable Frequency Range 46 Hz to 3.5 kHz) you would think no way that will work going all the way up to 3.5 kHz ??? You would think the Midrange would be way too Pronounced but it's not. Not sure if the relatively small (18" square) Baffle has something to do with that ???

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/02/16 at 23:14:00

I've got a local Cabinet Maker building me some 1-1/2" thick Furniture Grade Baffles. Probably won't have Pic's of those up for some time due to my work schedule.

Anyone with basic DIY skills can put these together for very little money compared to traditional subs. Randy makes very nice 3/4" thick baffles at very fair prices. The drivers are dirt cheap and have no business sounding as good as they do. The drivers did have about a 20 hour break-in period before they really started to show all they could do.

I did experiment with a plate mounted on top of the Baffle so that the Baffle itself could serve as a stand for my Monitors. That affected the sound of the OB's in a negative way. The OB's just seem to like being completely open around all 4 sides.

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/02/16 at 23:22:39

I am already scheming on building a set for my other system.  Maybe I will go the eminence / Besty route for a low cost alternative.  I have a spare plate amp now if I want to use it.

I'd probably build shorter/less wide baffles to accommodate the space.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/10/16 at 22:24:59

As stated earlier I've been running my Low Frequency Open Baffles (LOFOB's) wired in parallel with my Omega Alnico Monitors. Zen UFO speaker outputs wired to Monitors, wired to LOFOB's

I have a spare Decware SE84CS+ that I hooked up in a Bi-Amp configuration just for comparison. So the output of my Oppo BDP105 was feeding my UFO and C+ amps. UFO wired to the Omega monitors, C+ wired to the LOFOB's.

This configuration allowed me to adjust LOFOB volume separately from the Omega monitors (similar to a plate amp on a Sub). The reduction in Low End life was quite surprising. Plenty of Low End volume but it sounded Much Darker compared to the LOFOB's wired in parallel directly to the Omega monitors (no second amp).

The negative effect of the Amp on the LOFOB output quality was quite obvious. The Low Frequency integration between the Omega monitors and LOFOB's was quite sterile (no toe tapping).

I realize that connecting the Oppo analog output to two separate amps cuts in half the amp input impedance that the Oppo analog output sees. I don't think this accounts for the negative effect however?  The Omega monitor / UFO combination sounded normal. It was only the C+ / LOFOB combination that sounded Dark / Sterile?

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/10/16 at 22:31:30

The only thing I can add is that when the Crown gets the full juice in my setup via magic cables, the toe tapping index goes way up versus the plate amp or feeding the crown the lower output signal from the car audio line converter.  Its the reason I leave the magic cables in despite the buzzzzzzzzzz.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/17/16 at 19:26:40

I've done literally thousands of test tone & frequency sweep measurements over the years. I've found that with adjustments, tweaks, extra gear etc. I've been able to achieve flat in room response. Unfortunately flat in room response does not by itself necessarily translate into an engaging musical experience. I'm sure there are many speakers with multiple drivers that have a much flatter frequency response compared to my Omega Super Alnico Monitors. Common sense would say flatter is better but once you listen to the single driver Omega it's just not the case. Ultimately the human brain decides if it will accept the illusion as a live performance.

When it comes to Low Frequencies (below 500 hz), Humans have honed this sense over thousands of years. Our ability to avoid predators and locate prey for survival depended on a keen ability to use sound for location purposes. Because of this keen sense of hearing our brains can quickly tell the difference between Live Music and something else. The SAM's are often described as having a cohesion (to act as one) in it's presentation. I think it is the cohesion in the presentation that does a better job of selling the illusion to the brain? All frequencies from top to bottom blend together seamlessly.

I think the difficulty with conventional Sub's is that the brain quickly senses a loss of Low Frequency cohesion. The brain in some cases senses a second sound source (crossover set to high) and can sense a difference in volume between Sub and Monitors around the crossover point (Sub volume set to high). Take a typical application where the Sub crossover is set at 80hz. A Bass gutiar can play from 40hz up to over 1,000hz. Sub crossover & volume have to be set just right to maintain a cohesive transition between Sub and Monitors.

On the other hand, with my LoFOB's running Full Range (40 to 3500 hz) they present a cohesive presentation throughout the entire Bass & Mid Bass Region. My SAM's for reasons I don't understand just blend in perfectly. Nor can I explain why there is not a noticeable Mid-Bass peak (no perceived Mid-Bass shout)? I suspect that because the LoFOB's are Di-Pole (firing forward & rearward) That a lot of the acoustic energy is being dispersed more uniformly into the entire listening space. I would have thought this would create a more defuse sound stage but vocals & instruments seem to have noticeably improved focus?

I mentioned earlier that I had tried a couple Eminence passive low pass crossovers (250 & 500 hz). These just sucked the life out of the low end. There was Bass but it was Sterile, did not blend well. The cohesion noted above was lost. Seems I have read before that crossovers can introduce Time Smearing. I'm speculating this effect might be what was destroying the cohesion when using the crossovers?

So right now I seem to have more questions than answers but I'm enjoying my music more than ever.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/09/16 at 02:22:53

Have been listening to my 12" & 15" 2nd generation Low Frequency Open Baffles (LoFOB's) for some time now. Using Baltic Birch, two layers of 3/4" bonded together. 15" square by 1.5" thick baffle houses the 12" driver and 18" square by 1.5" thick baffle houses the 15" driver. Better than any Sub I have had and I've had quite a few. More later.

DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 04/09/16 at 03:32:19

Very nice. I hope that mine come out working half as well as yours.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/09/16 at 14:15:43

Looking good.

I have some comments related to the sound I am getting from my rig and blending but I'll put them over on my thread to keep things together.   In short I think you are on to something on the blending but it is manifesting itself in a different phenomenon in my room.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/09/16 at 14:30:29

Pal,

I'll wait for your post and respond. I'm thinking perhaps I'm having fewer challenges with blending because my second driver is in a traditional enclosure and not in a common Open Baffle? I can't find any weakness in the Synergy between my Monitors and the LoFOB's. The LoFOB's seem to lay down a Low Frequency foundation that the Monitors just float on top of.

DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/09/16 at 15:11:48

I just posted.  I migrated to integrated OB because of lack of space.  My original budget called for a single augie.  That seems like a very distant memory to me now.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/10/16 at 16:10:24

Photo of my 12" and 15" LoFOB's side by side. 12" Baffle has not yet had any finish applied (raw baltic birch). 15" Baffle was finished with Watco brand Danish Oil.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/20/16 at 15:53:20

Set up 12" LoFOB's in a 12' X 12' room with 8' ceiling. Typically this would be a nightmare for a traditional Sub. Seated position is slam up against the wall opposite the system (typically another NO-NO). Nice full smooth even Bass throughout the room. Not even a Hit of Boom. No room treatments other than the carpet.

With LoFOB's disconnected the Bass can get a bit Lumpy on some material, sound-stage a bit 2-dimensional. With LoFOB's connected Bass is not Lumpy at all and sound-stage is much larger and much more 3-dimensional. Close your eyes and it's impossible to tell you are sitting in a small room. Best sound quality by far that I've been able to achieve in such a small room.

I did try the 15" LoFOB's in this room and they are more than required. They never sounded Lumpy or Boomy, just more Bass than this room required. The 15's sound great in my main 16' X 22' listening room.

DBC   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #24 - 05/21/16 at 14:20:50

I give a strong "second" to the OB bass.  I can't thank Randy-In-Caintuck enough for turning me on to it.  Best bass I've ever had in my room by a wide margin...  Glad to see another fellow phile has found the grail.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/25/17 at 18:10:18

Update on the development of my Low Frequency Open Baffle's or Low Frequency "SLAB's"

1-1/2 inch thick Baltic Birch SLAB with Oak finish, 12 inch driver flush mounted.

1-1/2 inch thick Baltic Birch SLAB with Natural finish, 15 inch driver flush mounted.

No external amp, simple hook-up, works great with my Omega Monitors and UFO amp.

My Omega Alnico monitors, 15 inch SLAB's with 12 inch drivers. I'm in the process of building more.

They work great with Decware Monitors as well. Monitors have great clarity / pinpoint imaging while the SLAB's add that big open sound that only open baffles can do (Best of both worlds).

DBC   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/25/17 at 18:47:27

Doug,

Those are looking great!  Notice a difference in sound with them flush mounted?  like the look very much.

Can't wait to get my UFO, cause this is the route i am going on my ht (thks to you).  I might as well order my 15a's now.  lol

I've heard this setup w/ Doug's omega's and my 946's, and sounded great with both!  

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/25/17 at 18:49:33

Very nice work.  Love the Baltic birch.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/25/17 at 20:29:53

Hi Tripwr1964,

Thanks for the positive comments. Really enjoyed your visit and the chance to listen to your Decware 946 monitors in my listening room.

As we discussed, after you receive your UFO I would like to pay you a visit with a pair of my passive SLAB's to compare directly with your powered Augies.

To answer your question, every change makes a difference in the sound. In the past 18 months I've tried at least a hundred variations / tweaks. Most made them sound worse. A lot of trial & error. These are my best effort to date.

As you know, with a sub there is the tendency to frequently tinker with sub volume and or crossover based on the material being played. As you heard with the SLAB's, just plug them IN. Adds weight & space but never too much or too little.

DBC

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 03/25/17 at 20:55:54

Palomino,

Thanks for the compliment. I know you and LR have done a bit of speaker building and can appreciate the effort required to produce a professional looking product.

Just bonding two 3/4 inch panels together to form the SLAB is a time consuming process to keep it square, not damage the veneer surface and achieve the proper clamping pressure.

Birch is beautiful when properly finished (the operative word is "properly"). Birch is a soft, open grain wood and wants to Blotch badly. So lots of sanding with multiple layers of finish (again time consuming).

DBC

DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #30 - 03/25/17 at 22:17:01

Very nice!
I like what you have done.
And you run them full range? I do that with my back woofers but not the front ones. Maybe it is time to experiment.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/28/17 at 15:33:54

Since my low frequency SLAB's are Crossover Free they extend well up into the Mid-Bass and Electric Guitar frequency range. This adds to the dynamics (leading edge attack of instruments) as well as the decay on the back end. Recording space cues are also much more evident (echo, decay, etc.).

I've optimized SLAB construction, materials and dimensions to achieve the sound qualities noted above without a crossover. Simply mounting a driver in any old piece of wood of random dimensions do not yeild the same results in my experience.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/01/17 at 16:53:00

Was going for a different look (finish) for the 15 inch low frequency SLAB's that I use in my second listening room which is 12' x 12' x 8'.

15 inch low frequency SLAB's with 12 inch drivers.

DBC   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print