Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:07:30 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Palomino Audio Project (Read 41172 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Palomino Audio Project
Reply #550 - 02/13/20 at 22:14:31

I too use the infamous Crown XLS' on my four Augie's.  Coincidentally, or not, I have found about 85hz to be the best xover point for my Augie's, no matter which full-ranger I use for the mid/highs.  

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #551 - 02/18/20 at 19:01:37

Interesting issue has arisen.  

I hooked up my subs to to the Crown to run with Big Betsy's as a result of BadWolf saying that he preferred the Betsy's to the Crystal 10 baffles for longer term listening but liked the extended range of the Crystal 10s better.  I figured I might try to get the best of both worlds with the Betsy's by adding the subs.  I could also add super tweeters if I wanted to.

Now I have feedback on only the right channel.  I swapped cables from the 25th feeding the Crown and still, just the right side.  Same thing with speaker wires.  So its not the cables.  

Usually when I have feedback in the system, its on both sides.

I do not get this feedback feeding the AE LO15s when I run the Crystal Baffles.

A driver related issue?  I reversed polarity on the right side sub and no change.

Any thoughts?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #552 - 02/18/20 at 21:59:32

Turn your sub 90 degrees. pointing towards the wall.
I'm not kidding.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #553 - 02/19/20 at 16:25:58

when you say "feedback" - are you talking about 60hz hum like a ground loop noise type of issue or something else?  Is the "feedback" coming out of both the Betsy and the Sub driver, or just one of them?            

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #554 - 02/19/20 at 16:56:46

It is definitely a 60 hz hum.  I measured it last night.

It is only coming out of the right channel sub - connected to the Crown channel 2 out.  Channel 1 out of the crown to the left sub has no hum.

Has to be a power cord or something in proximity to the right channel cable running from the 25th to the Crown or the right channel speaker wire running from the crown to the right sub.

If it were a Crown issue, I'd have it out of both channels??

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #555 - 02/19/20 at 17:01:41

Donnie I moved the sub around.  No change.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #556 - 02/20/20 at 00:47:10

I figured it out.  I did the old unplug everything till it stops routine.  It was my turntable.  It’s from the 70s and has no ground on the power cord and no shielding either.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #557 - 11/04/21 at 22:36:04

I haven't posted much since Covid.  I have been listening most work days as I work in my listening room - in my listening chair.  

I haven't done much to my room or my system, but have made a few changes.  I have to say my system is currently in "do not touch" mode.  Everything just seems to be blending seamlessly and I have the best sound I've ever had.

While I had great intentions of building new baffles for my Crystal 10/LO15 OBs, I just never did and I'm using my temporary baffles a couple years later.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/uAuP8Q5

I tacked on some wings a la the Liionidas OB design.  After listening for some time, I am not sure I got much out of it.  

I also added a tweeter pointed upwards similar to the Liionidas design.  That, I think I got better highs/air from.  I just had a couple of high efficiency tweeters laying around and attached them to the little platform I built when I was trying super tweeters.  

I also think I got a lift from mounting round wooden balls right over the top of the tweeters for better dispersion.  I think this helped imaging.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/uAuP8Q5

The only amp change I made was buying some NOS SV83s which I am really happy with.  Great texture to the notes now.  If you want to try these, get the ones with the larger logo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FkQb3l5

I have to say I am most happy with my bass.  Really clean.  Really musical.  I really had hoped to get more time to listen to the W15 that Randy had in his room.  Lots of factors so I don't know if this is a fair statement, but from what I did hear, I think the Acoustic Elegance are worth the extra $$$.

I am using a sub from about 40Hz and lower.  Good vibrations without boom in my room.

So anyway, the PAP is moving very slowly.  I do think about building new baffles, but that would mean that I would have to retrieve my Big Betsy's from ProggRob and he seems to be enjoying them to much to want to give them up.

P.S. I don't seem to be able to post images the way I used to - only links to photos.  I'll try to figure that out

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #558 - 11/18/21 at 21:41:22

Ugh, I need to get a listening setup going...I think I did more listening at Decfest than I have in two years at the new house!

I just don't have the space I used to...and no dedicated outlets and all that stuff. I miss my old house...

Can I come visit and listen in your room Tom? I promise I won't point out all the flaws!   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #559 - 11/21/21 at 04:11:29

Thanks for the update : ).  If it ain't broke don't fix it !

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #560 - 11/22/21 at 15:53:32

Eric, Its a date next time you are in IL.  

Rob is coming over during the holidays to show me his new DAC/Streamer which he says is better than his Terminator.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #561 - 11/22/21 at 17:42:43

Pal, sounds really cool. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Brad

IP Logged
jdaun
Verified Member

Reply #562 - 03/09/22 at 21:04:59

This thread seems to have slowed down a bit, but I figured I'd contribute an update, in case it inspires someone.

I combined ideas from 2 different OB designs, and thankfully had access to a CNC router to cut all the panels and cutouts.

• On top, I used the same TangBand/AMT combo I copied from Palomino some time ago, with 1st order crossover.  
  • On bottom (copying a design from a genteman who goes by the name "gainphile") I used dual Dayton 10" subwoofer drivers crossed over at 120hz.  These are wired push/pull, in a W-baffle.  
  • Top is driven by an NAD M33 integrated amp, which uses the latest Purifi "Eigentakt" class-D modules.  The NAD M33 includes Dirac DSP which handles sub crossover/phase, as well as full EQ for all drivers, and room correction.  With such a narrow baffle, EQ seems like a necessity.
  • Bottom is driven by a Niles SI-2150 class D amp (open box item from Crutchfield).  This is not a sub amp per se, but here it serves this purpose quite well.

Here's a link to gainphile's original design called the S19:
https://gainphile.blogspot.com/2012/03/s19-4-way-dipole-radiator.html

And a link to gainphile's build thread for the W-baffle:
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?36626-S14-4-Way-OB-using-Seas-and-Vi...

eludo_speakers4.jpg
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #563 - 03/21/22 at 15:10:31

Nice work.  I saw this on facebook.  I may imitate it with the smaller bass driver to slim it down a bit.  I don't have room for the 15" driver in my second system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print