Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:03:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pass Labs XA30.8 vs. ZMA (Read 4662 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Pass Labs XA30.8 vs. ZMA
01/28/16 at 21:35:08

The comparison intrigue's me.

I will be fair to my ZMA....the 30.8 is capable of putting out pure class A up to 61 watt peaks. .....the ZMA probably is doing this too!

I will report back........... .

I will be keeping all things equal...just removing ZMA for XA 30.8. Of course, the voltage output versatility of my CSP3 will be used.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD!

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS Platinum Ediswan Cryogenic 6922's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & *9* of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 55% from 0

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P-EV's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30% from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

PS: NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 /Inputs = ZMA are breathtaking.............. .

*Also: Cryoset 6H23N-EB's, rotated in and out of Inputs/ZMA*
(Way different internal guts/halo/getter...they are NOT 6N23P-EV's)

NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube/CSP3 ~ not taken for granted neither......... .

NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 /PRE Outputs of CSP3, running  into ZMA Inputs with Ediswan's = revelatory!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Pass Labs XA30.8 vs. ZMA
Reply #1 - 01/31/16 at 17:12:29

agh..... Papa Pass.  I too have been recently contemplating giving one of Nelson's creations a listen... I have been studying the First Watt J2 for a bit now, and I think I'm going to have to audition it, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.  Per Mr. Pass' own words, the J2 was designed specifically for use with full-range, high-sensitivity, crossoverless, single driver speakers, of which, Mr. Pass is an aficionado of himself.  I heard a First Watt amp driving Cain & Cains at RMAF a few years ago and met Mr. Pass.  This was my first "exposure" to the magic of high-efficiency, full-range, crossoverless, single driver speakers.  Unfortunately, it took a few more years, of hearing this magic at RMAF, before I could get over the cognitive dissonance this caused, and my pea-brain accepting what my ears were telling it.

I have read where some folks have given up some pretty highly regarded tube amps, after hearing the J2 driving their full-rangers..

Please do share - about your experience with the PL XA30.8 - the XA30.x amps reputations do precede them for sure.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/16 at 00:35:48

I will second this comparison, Stone.  The X30.8 has been in the back of my mind for a while, one of the only transistor amps to do so.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 02/10/16 at 16:48:26

I've decided to hold off on the XA30.8.....at least for this year.

I'm so pleased with my ZMA. I can clip her without fatigue (to her/ZMA or my ears). No collapse of the soundstage or imaging either, when I choose to clip her........she maintains her Expanse. UL driven hard as it is meant to be.....thanks Stevo!
~ ~
.......Solid State...even Class A, can't do this (without reaching to turn the Volume down)!

My NOS Platinum 6922 Tube Rolling has been an incredible (continuing) journey as well.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 02/10/16 at 16:59:04

I really feel, Steve broke the rules with the ZMA. He got me where my SE84CS is/was....with the ZMA.

Great Paper by Eddie Vaughn.
http://swansonc2012.blogspot.com/2012/05/single-ended-vs-push-pull-fight-of.html...

I don't mind applying the juice to the ZMA...to get what my CS could do....but now, with headroom thru the Roof.......... !!!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3