Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 02:10:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need some suggestions about what to buy (Read 5479 times)
Andrew Bryant
Verified Member

Need some suggestions about what to buy
01/28/16 at 04:09:16

So I just started my journey into entry level audiophilem  and I think I have a pretty good start. I probably research more than I need to before I pull the trigger on anything. There are no real audio stores in my area and even if there were I choose not to buy new gear, and I am not going to demo something if I do not have the intention of buying from the place that took the time to do the demoing.

I purchased the Torii from Kevin after Christmas and it is jaw dropping. I purchased the Tekton Lores from Eric and I am quite happy with those as well. I am currently listening to digital from my macbook->Neko DAC, mostly 24/192 recordings ripped from vinyl that the audiophile community deems worthy. Lets just say that I have caught what ever you guys have. My next step is to buy a turntable, phono pre and finally a preamp. This is my dilemma and this has been discussed to death on other forums, but should I go vintage and possibly save a little money. What I am thinking is the VPI Traveler and that Jolida phono pre with the upgrades. I can get the traveler for about 8 bills without a cartridge and the upgraded Jolida phono pre for about the same. If the Decware phono pre pops up in the next month Im all over it but they seem elusive on the used market (for good reason I imagine). My logic is that I think I will be able to move up the chain because I feel that there is a market for for the VPI and the Jolida and so I can then upgrade to the Scout or some other upgradable TT and get rid of the Jolida and get the Decware. Maybe a vintage pre with a built in phono stage? I want to make the right decision. My income allows me to save about a grand a month. I could just save up but as you all probably can relate I need a this stuff yesterday.
What would you do?  Are my choices a good starting point? I know that everything is subjective to a point. I know what sounds good to me and like the rest of the audiophile world I want the best for what my little money can buy with the hopes of just moving up the ladder as time goes by.  
Thanks for your time,
Andy

VPI Scout->ATA pp->
Hovland HP100->Torii mkIV
Neko DAC->
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Need some suggestions about what to buy
Reply #1 - 01/28/16 at 08:49:27

Well Andy,  here's my two cents...quick and dirty.  Save your money and buy a ZP3 with bees wax caps, a $100 upgrade.  About two years ago I was in your position and I even considered the Jolida Phono Stage...I have two Jolida 100 CD players that I enjoy so the Jolida Phono Stage made sense to me.  I can't remember how I came to decide on the ZP3 but it was the correct decision.  I have only seen two used ZP3s come up with the bees wax caps but others do come up for sale about every other month.  In my opinion, this piece of gear might be a good one to purchase new.

I too have a Torii MK IV and bought a Rega RP6 TT with exact 2 cart. Many here have Rega TTs.  I think they are a good value and are easily upgraded if so desired.

At some point I purchased a CSP3 which I use in my primary system.  Many here prefer not to use a preamp between the ZP3 and Torii though.  I don't use a pre amp in my second system that employs a pair of modded 2008 Zen Signature Monoblocks, Jolida 100 CDP and speakers....very simple...very good.  A used CSP2 just sold for $430...a very good deal but again, I think a new one with bees wax caps might be the way to go. Anyway, if you read the threads for each piece of gear you are considering, there are lots of impressions.  Last, remember this "Hobby"  is best enjoyed as a Marathon...not a Sprint.  Take your time and enjoy yourself.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 01/30/16 at 21:06:37

Andy - Mark summed it up pretty good. I would not consider any other phono stage than the ZP3. I run mine direct into my Rachael amp with plenty of gain but I will consider adding a CPS3 pre-amp after I up grade my phono cart. Go with the upgraded caps in any Decware you buy, it's well worth the small amount of money. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #3 - 02/01/16 at 19:30:28

Hey Andy,  I agree with everyone's comments. Pairing my Traveler TT w/ Ortofon 2m black cart has took my system to a new level of awesome. I done little since other than the purchase of good speaker cables (another great addition).
With you budget it won't take long for you to be wow'd !

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/16 at 20:49:57

Quote:
My next step is to buy a turntable ...

Andy, in 2007 I was ready to buy a VPI Scout when I stumbled across Kevin at KAB.  Check out what he offers in a modified Technics 1200.  I run mine with an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b and I am very happy.  I've tweaked mine a bit further with more damping and isolation and it's hard to beat the simplicity and performance at the price.

Of course I have the obligatory ZP3.

BTW, the build list looks to be 2 to 3 months out right now so you'll have plenty of time to save up!  It took 3 months for my ZMC1 to ship.  Arrives Thursday -- hurray!  :D

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print