Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:32:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input tube goes out with sub hooked up (Read 6081 times)
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Input tube goes out with sub hooked up
01/28/16 at 02:36:22

All.  I have never hooked up a sub using the speaker level connections so feel that I must be doing something obviously wrong.  Here is what is happening:

1) SuperZen Select is hooked up to Omega Alnicos using spade connections at the speaker terminal
2) Omega  Deep8 sub is hooked up using banana plugs off the same speaker taps as the Alnicos.
3) When I power up the amp and sub, the input tube on the Zen goes dead.  No sound, nada.
4). When banana plugs are removed, the Zen functions as normal

I can't figure this out.  The only thing I can guess is that I had the sub switched to "on" rather than "auto on" but that doesn't seem like it should affect the input tube.  I Would experiment with that switch but I don't want to blow anything up.  Does anybody have suggestions on what I am doing wrong?  Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Input tube goes out with sub hooked up
Reply #1 - 01/28/16 at 17:39:12

Ellsworth, Have you had the sub hooked up using speaker level input with another amp? Did it work then?

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/16 at 02:15:25

Trying it with another amp would be the best way to find out what is going on.  I did try it again tonight.  The input tube did come on with the sub on so that was a relief.  However, I am not getting any sound out of the sub so something is still going on.  

I will say that it is great to be able to buy products from two companies who have owners that will return a call on the same day.  Both Steve and Louis from Omega have been very helpful.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/16 at 21:08:39

Ellsworth,

Just curious where you have the Sub Crossover adjustment set ??? A lot of music has very little content below 50 Hz. I have my HSU 15" Sub crossover set at 50 Hz and on most music it does little or nothing.

Try turning the Crossover Up just to see if you get any output at a higher setting. Also be sure you don't have one of the speaker wires polarity flipped going to the Sub. If for instance the polarity from one channel is reversed then both channels will tend to cancel each other out.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/16 at 02:22:23

Boy do I feel stupid.  I am using a long run of speaker wire and it is completely out of sight.  I cleverly thought I had marked the wires so left and right would not be confused.  After checking again tonight, I had it wired backwards.  All systems are now go.  

It is going to take a while to get it set up exactly where I want it but first impressions are very positive.  This sub seems to blend very well with the Alnicos.  I am crossing over between 50 and 60 but will certainly have to play around with the settings. I will  also run some test tones with an SPL meter.

Thanks for the posts and the suggestions.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 01/30/16 at 16:34:39

Ellsworth- glad the system is up an running. I have Omega XRS 7 mkII and a Deep 8 sub. It took me a while to get the blend perfect and it was playing with the phase control on the sub that got it locked in. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/30/16 at 17:47:58

do you guys feel that the sub is clear positive addition to the sound? I have omega speakers as well, and im contemplating if i should Get myself a pair of subs. Cost is clearly worth the added quality?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 01/30/16 at 20:53:01

Jorgen- It would depend on your choice of music, room size etc. etc. I think it was a worth while addition to my 7XRS's, which have plenty of articulate bass on their own just needed a little extra grunt on some of the rock I listen to. If you have Omegas, call Louis and discuss what might work best for your set up. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/30/16 at 22:53:26

I have only been using this for a little over a day but my answer would be an unequivocal yes.  I only have it crossed over between 50 and 60 hz but there is now a presence and foundation to the music that was not there before.  

I still have to dial it in but within 20 minutes I knew this was the right move.  Because it is downward firing and crossed over fairly low, you have no idea that it is off to the side of my speakers.  I wouldn't automatically assume that you need to have two of them.  I also recommend speaking with Louis about it.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/03/16 at 11:57:44

Hi guys
I went to visit him a few months back when i was i NYC and wanted to pick up my second pair, from what i understood he recommended subs, so i guess one or two will be an positive addition to my system. My problem is the lust and need for:
a ZP3, my current riaa is of the low end of any scale
a second amp for my second pair of speakers
new cables etc for my second system

I figure i need +- 5k for all my wishes... and subs on top of that will be a strech finacially

the key word is prioriticing i guess.-

im almost forced to buy new stuff if i want decware (as i do) since there is almost no objects for sale with 220 volt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print