04/25/24 at 22:57:33 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Ediswan 6922 (Read 28993 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Ediswan 6922
Reply #50 - 03/11/16 at 21:40:31

I have the RCA 5U4Gs but prefer the punch of the 274Bs.  That said, I may bring them back in to see how they run with the new 6n23ps and the OBs.

I'm not sure I can articulate what I am after but smooth dynamics if there is such a thing.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #51 - 03/11/16 at 21:45:47

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm running:

CSP3
NOS/Platinum/Ediswan CV2492/6922 = Input Tube
NOS/Platinum/Cryogenic/Ediswan CV2492/6922 = Pair/Output Tubes

ZMA
NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC = Pair/Phase Inverter's
NOS/Platinum/Cryogenic/Mullard/E188CC/7308 = Pair/Input Tubes
~YES! I got the Mullards Cryo!~

All Tubes purchased new~NOS/Platinum tolerance/from Kevin/Upscale Audio.

Run this compliment/at least 10 days.....before switching any of them around.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 03/11/16 at 21:50:02

.....all are burned in except the Mullards coming in tomorrow.

Yes Pal, I like the clean phase Invert' of my Telefunken's....but like the smooth dynamics of the Ediswan's. I can't get the Edi's anymore, but the Mullards are there equal per Kevin.

I'll have all Edi's in my Pre that I would walk on broken glass for....glad I got a 2nd pair when I could and Cryo'd.

I should try the 274B again, that came with my CSP3. I just prefer the 5U4G-C rugidized. I put a new one in every 8 or 9 months.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #53 - 03/12/16 at 17:20:34

FedEx delivered at 8:50 am this morning!  They are the best.

Anywho, I open the box like a kid at Christmas and I behold not NOS/Platinum/Cryogenic/Mullard/E188CC/7308's!  I received NOS/Amperex/JAN/7308/Gold Pin/Green's! Well, I was going to order these next anyway.....so let's go give them a whirl.

I kept my Telefunken in the input of my CSP3 with Cryo Ediswan's for outputs....hitting up my Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter's....with the Amperex as ZMA inputs.

..............Absolutely stunning in the midband....without giving up to much on top or down below!  Glad I got these instead of the Mull's!

I'm going to stick with this Tube compliment chain, before I switch it up and get the Telefunken's back in the phase-splitter slots.

WOW!  Fun!   ....of course it is 65 degree's out and sunny.....calling to leave the glorious music. I'll try to get out there later!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 03/12/16 at 17:56:18

You hear and read the talk about the best spec'd Amperex 7308's? But, until you hear them yourself.....who cares?!  

Well, they deserve the wow! Nice to have 3 distinct pair's (4, I have 2 pair of the Edi's)....doing their distinct things. The slam of the Edi's is to be witnessed for example.... .

Expensive, yeah a little. However, I'd rather pay for the best spec'd NEW/NOS that truly has 7500 to 10,000 hours of use to be had by ME, vs. the garb and fakes that are out there on the net.

Peace, happy Listening.....over and out for now. -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #55 - 03/15/16 at 19:54:23

Found the best place for my NOS/Amperex/JAN/7308/Gold Pin/Green's. Preamp CSP3 outputs with Telefunken input for Pre. Feeding 6H23N-EB's for phase-inverter's with Ediswan 6922 inputs of ZMA.

Beautiful detailed liquid midrange feeding my ZMA! When I want a different flavor and a little lower in the bass....my Cryogenic Ediswan 6922's go back in the CSP3 outputs.

Awesome mistake....whomever packed these at Upscale last week?! Chit happens! Thanks! I'm not sending them back. The Mull's I was to receive can wait down the road.....for purchase.

Kudos to Brooklyn and Hicksville, NY....back in the day!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #56 - 03/16/16 at 17:27:13

I'm going to try a pair of these next:
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/siemens-7308/

Right now though, totally digging the Amperex in my Tube combination below. Figured I'd spice it up and see how aggressive the above pair might be..... .

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD!

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~ NOS/Platinum/Amperex/JAN/7308/Gold Pin/Green's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & *9* of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 55% from 0

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 10%, 15% to 25% max, from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 03/17/16 at 14:26:25

Okay, I put the Siemens 7308's on the back burner for May's purchase.

I have the Platinum Cryogenic Mull's coming! FedEx del. 3/22.
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/mullard-e188cc-7308/

However, the mistake/pair shipment of Amperex/JAN/7308/Gold Pin/Green's.....I don't want to return. I was emailed a return shipping label... . I will call Kevin and pay for them over the phone. They are simply superb.

Current Tube Lineup/CSP3:
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~ NOS/Platinum/Amperex/JAN/7308/Gold Pin/Green's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)

.....the Tele is a lock for input.....the JOY comes from rotating the Amperex, my other pair of Cryogenic Ediswan's and the Mullards coming on Tuesday, through the CSP3 outputs/Pre (+future pairs, the above Siemens 7308 and a few others)......each pair providing its own flavor to my settled upon Tube compliment in my ZMA.

~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)

....the Mull's are to be similar to my Ediswan's...so I can move my 2nd pair of Edi's to storage ~ to replace the current Edi's in the ZMA inputs....many moons and hours down the road.

Thus, I will continue on my NOS 6922 World Tour in May....to see what can stay in my cache and is worthy of my CSP3 outputs....like the Ediswan's, Amperex and Mullards are. Footnote: I have all other tube compliment tube positions/now~sufficiently supplied/backed up.

......the Tour/Quest for the best 6922 NOS in the WORLD continue's!

Cheers.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #58 - 03/22/16 at 20:13:22

I have the NOS Plat Ediswan Cryo's back in my CSP3 outputs. Damn, I love this tube!  I can't get anymore. However, the Mull's coming tomorrow, are to be their match.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 03/22/16 at 21:32:36

By putting my 2nd pair of Ediswan's away for use 6 years from now (after the current pair wear down for 6 years), should get me 12 years out for the Polar Ice Cap melt and Methane release....and that will wrap it up for all of us?!  

These NOS Plat's, 10% tolerance should get me 7500 to 10,000 hours/each pair. So, another pair of Mull's and I got the other slots already covered....I am good!

Smoke um' if you got um'!  Great metaphor for the impending, right?!!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 03/22/16 at 23:32:45

Stone

I just found: Ediswan CV2492 / 6922 pair of used tubes on Audio Asylum. They were originally from Upscale Audio, platinum grade. I have to see what all the fuss is about.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 03/22/16 at 23:56:04

Yes, I saw those from the late 90's he bought them from Upscale. They look to be good. Snap them up.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/23/16 at 00:45:13

I know you guys are "been there, done that" on the 6n23ps but I think these '74 silver shield 6n23ps sound like they are in the same league.  

Stone, I'd send you a pair to try but then I'd have to part with them and I am hooked far too bad.  It's the reason I immediately bought another pair to see me through to the nuclear winter.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #63 - 03/23/16 at 14:36:31

Yes, 2nd pairs of your favorite Tubes are a must have.

I'm covered on my Telefunken; a lock for my CSP3 input Tube, Ediswan's, mutilple Recitfiers, multiple 0A3's, Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for phase splitter's and Mullard's (the Mull's rotated with the Edi's in the outputs of CSP3 and inputs of ZMA positions.....2nd pairs stored away).

I bet those silver shield's 74 are pretty damn good Pal..... . But, I'm so into German, American/British, American and British Tubes, made on there respective soils/and NOS Platinum Tolerance~Cryode'......I can't go back.

I do like the Russian 6H23N-EB's for phase splitter's though.....I bought these as a matched quad from Cryoset 2 years ago/and now put a pair in....blows away the stock ones as phase splitter's.

I have a pair of Siemens  and Bel's.....to get (6922)....and that will wrap it up.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 03/23/16 at 15:43:28

I appreciate you guys paving the way on some of these tubes ($$$).  

Being in the same family of amps helps a lot because I find that the findings are largely transferrable.

The key question I have is how much do I spend to see if I can go above these Ruskies.  If I could only convince El Presidente to buy some new tubes we could compare.

Are you still out there El Presidente?  Or did you also board a rocketship?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 03/23/16 at 15:45:21

He is so busy with that new lovin'.....I suppose I can't blame the guy....not being around here and all.   Wink Wink

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #66 - 03/23/16 at 17:07:20

I still want to come down and visit you guys sometime this year. I certainly would bring my 6922's/stay at local Hotel. You guys are only 5.5 to 6.5 hours away.

Yes Palomino, ($$$) on my stash of 6922's. The only reason I can afford them and swing the 705's through/in here come Friday.....stems from the proceeds of my last years selling of quite a few pieces of gear and tubes. The fund is just about dry....but I will be set.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #67 - 03/24/16 at 15:12:31

Okay, I put 4 hours on my new NOS Plat Cyrogenic 6922 Mullards last night. Very, very nice start. I have them in my CSP3 outputs, providing a very nice signature pump in to my ZMA, Mull's are known for. Details and smooth in the midrange/never being etched. Depth too.

I like the Mullard's better than the Amperex 7308's. However, the Amperex are very good Tubes. I could see where a person with high efficient speakers/bright - would like them more than I.

The Mullard's will be in my back and forth rotation with my Cryo 6922 Ediswan's, in the CSP3 output position.

Next pair coming in:  Siemen's 7308, for ZMA inputs. They will back up rotate with my other pair of Ediswan's in this position. Driven into by the Mull's or other pair of Edi's described above/from CSP3. I have the input pos. of my CSP3 locked in with my Telefunken and phase splitter's in ZMA are Cryoset 6H23N-EB's.

Tube/6922 mission almost complete!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 03/24/16 at 15:28:56

Hmmm interesting comment on the Amperex.  Kind of fits my situation.  Also seems to fit Lon's situation (and thus use of these tubes) given his listening preferences.

Come on down Stone.  We are having trouble getting the band back together given el presidente's love life and Rob's silly preoccupation with, of all things, his family.  But, we may rally for Axpona and/or a visit by the Stone man.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #69 - 03/25/16 at 15:15:11

Yeah, Axpona coming up?!

Will need to plan something/my Adagio's do fit in my Ford Focus....and bring the 6922's of course!

Right now I'm home...doing laundry and cleaning the place up for the Easter Weekend. However, I made the mistake of firing up the Rig and the door is open. I keep getting drawn in to sit down and bask in the righteous righteousness of the E188CC 7308 Mullard's!  Damn good!  I might be damn near broke on my 6922 Quest...but, well worth it.

Polk 705's coming in today. I will put some hours on them in the SS Rig over the weekend, before moving them to the Listening Room sometime next week.

Cheers, and a great Easter Weekend to all.

Listening Room:

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~ NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)

~BIASED at *60* mA~
ZMA adjusted at 20%, 30 to 35% max, from 0

.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #70 - 03/30/16 at 15:34:21

NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's, continue to impress with settling in......... . They have made the rotation with my Cryo pair of Ediswan's in the CSP3 Outputs.

Next up: Siemens.....see reply #56. Flavor's and shades of flavor's, are what it's all about............ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 04/02/16 at 20:13:25

Oh, how sweet it is to be loved by these Mullard's. They just continue to settle in and impress~pure liquid. The price still gives me a little agita. ...... However, = heaven though.... .

~YMMV~

I don't prefer them for inputs of my ZMA. ....For my CSP3, as outputs with a Telefunken input = magic.

ZMA has Ediswan's for inputs and 6H23N/P-EB's for inverter's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #72 - 04/05/16 at 18:19:32

Well, I had to get another pair of the Mullard's. Sublime, sweet, extended, detailed, deep, timbre.....the superlative adjectives could go on. Love Kevin's tubes at Upscale Audio ~ period.

See Tube compliment below. I have arrived at how they flow to one another. Tubes all backed up now, too.

I will put my Cryo Edi's in the CSP3 outputs sometimes too, for a different flavor. However, the Mull's are so exquisite feeding the ZMA...I'm hard pressed to pull them out of the Sonic Picture they pump/produce.

I need to tighten up the budget for now. I will go on another Quest again, late this year..........from Upscale.

Listening Room:

{Extremely Significant}

(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)

~BIASED at *60* mA~
ZMA adjusted at 20%, 25 to 30% max, from 0

.....from 8ohm Taps

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #73 - 04/08/16 at 15:31:53

My other pair of NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's are in! Two day delivery from S. Cal., free shipping~I'm impressed (USPS).

Running NOS Plat Cryogenic Mull's out of CSP3 in to the new pair of NOS Plat Cryogenic Mull's/Input's of Zen Mystery Amp. Just beautiful man, just beautiful.

Oh my aching back! I got those Polk 705 dogs out of here. The 705 Tweeter and the like, had no business being in my Listening Room against the stellar Tweeter designed inhouse and built by Mr. Lee/Acoustic Zen Adagio's. Plus, the underhung voice coil driver's in these sweet Speaker's with x-over's gone/single capped!  Bliss baby/bliss!

Cheers! Enjoy!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 04/08/16 at 15:37:29

Thanks for the update Stone.  

I am having trouble keeping up with all your combos.  I know this requires some time and effort, but can you summarize your findings?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 04/08/16 at 16:16:45

You bet Pal. I will summarize after some more time, doing rotations:

NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC  (1 pair)

NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard (2 pair)

NOS/Platinum/Ediswan CV2492/6922 (1 pair)

NOS/Platinum/Cryogenic Ediswan CV2492/6922 (1 pair).

Listening Room:

{Extremely Significant}

(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)

~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)

.....from 8ohm Taps

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 04/08/16 at 18:14:43

I have some 7DJ8’s on the way to see if anything can dethrone the Ediswans in the ZMA.  I ordered the tubes from Upscale Audio and made the mistake of calling to ask a few questions about tubes and a few other things.  I stumbled upon a few reviews on Yelp of folks who had a bad experience talking to Kevin on the phone but I called anyway.  Basically the negative reviews were spot on.  Kevin may know a lot about tubes but he is a condescending ass who appears to be too busy to talk to paying customers.  Probably the last time I order from them.

On a different note, I have a Tung-Sol KT-66 tube that has been going bad, or better yet, wasn’t good from the start.  So while I wait for another set of Tung-Sols to arrive, I put in a set of Gold Lion’s.    

The presentation between these two power tubes is quite different in the ZMA.  The Tung-Sols give you more of a front hall experience, while the Gold Lions are mid-hall.  Said differently the overall presentation from the Gold Lion’s is softer, less powerful and more laidback (both tubes biased to 60mA in the ZMA).  Bass on the Tung-Sol’s is tighter and more present.

Both sets of tubes are very musical and it’s easy to forget about the differences once you settle into the music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 04/08/16 at 18:40:42

That is pretty much what I heard with both the Tung-Sols and the Gold Lions in my Torii Mk III. I preferred the Gold Lions, because I prefer that mid-hall presentation. The TAD seem to have the best of both of these two presentations, I've really enjoyed them and they've lasted the longest for me. Will probably get another quad soon, but may go for Gold Lion again for a change of pace. . . .(All three of the quads in the three brands were cryo'd from cryoset.com).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #78 - 04/08/16 at 18:45:23

Aaaaa, Kevin's alright. He gets a little crabby...... .

I know, aren't the Ediswan's something else!  

Right now I'm running Mullard's out and in with my CSP3 and ZMA. The Mull's are special. However, I'll run my Cryogenic Edi's from CSP3 to Edi's ZMA inputs again soon!  They knock you into next week/with their tonal balance too~different flavor/with ass kicken' bass!

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&p...

.....which 7DJ8's did you get Dave?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 04/08/16 at 19:54:35

"He gets a little crabby......" .
Just kidding with you Kevin....you're da man.

Anyway, in the fall, I'm ordering the Philips 7DJ8, Pope 7DJ8, 7308 Siemens and the Tungsram 7DJ8.

Cheers, I just cracked open a Double IPA Summit, 30th Anniversary Brew!  

Cheers again!

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&p...

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/09/16 at 01:18:39

Stone...Pope and Tungsram.  According to Kevin, the Tungsram would be closest to the Ediswans.  He said he was raising the price soon so you may want to grab a couple now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 04/09/16 at 01:23:39

Stone I look forward to the day you decide to sell the excess tubes in your collection!  I am not sure I can make it to the nuclear winter just yet on current stock. Roll um if you got um.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #82 - 04/09/16 at 17:23:27

I read you Dave. Damn price increases with supply going down. I saved $40 off the pair, when I got my Telefunken's when I did.

Pal, I need to hang on to these tubes. Worth every penny.

I'm pretty well set with 7500 estimated hours on my new NOS Platinum tubes per pair. Each pair is backed up with Platinum matched pairs.

I like my Mullard's/CSP3 to Ediswan's inputs ZMA the best.
2nd best like is, Mullard's/CSP3 to Mullard's inputs ZMA (I'm running right now).

Locked in and love: Telefunken as input CSP3 tube.
5U4G-C Rectifier (have quite a few of these).

0A3's for ZMA, have some good stock of these.
Phase inverter's, I'm using are awesome too (have those backed up).

~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #83 - 04/11/16 at 19:15:53

Mullard's/CSP3 outputs to Mullard's inputs ZMA.....I'm pretty sure, this combo, just dethroned my Mullard's to Ediswan's ~OR~ Ediswan's to Ediswan's....combination's!!!

.....and I'm running 88 to 92db SPL, with absolute authority/LIVE realness and clarity of Tone & Timbre, that ANY Solid State at any price cannot match.

Highly recommended.....the E188CC 7308 Mull's!  They take a tad longer to warm up (from cold start up) than the Edi's.....but oh so very worth it...when they hit their stride (Mull pair to Mull pair)!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #84 - 04/11/16 at 23:47:49

....."ANY Solid State at any price cannot match".

I will NOT caveat this statement with IMHO. I've been doing this for 30 years and have found my System for MUSIC.

Good Luck and enjoy the Journey.

PS - of course, my Ediswan's will still be part of the equation..... . They are all so goooooood!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 04/12/16 at 01:35:59

Sorry if this is detailed somewhere in the thread but specifically which mullards are you talking about?  I did a Google search and came up with a few favors.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 04/12/16 at 16:12:56

E188CC 7308 Mullard's: This should help you out of the Fog..... . Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool Cool

https://tubeworldexpress.com/search?q=7308+Mullard

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/Mullard-E188CC-7308

http://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_MPs_MINT_NOS_1970_80_E188CC_7308_RTC_GTBri_p/1...

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Other_brands_OEM_Tubes_Preamp_doubletriodes...
These tubes are known for their amazing midrange and detailed inner resolution and have some of the highest strength and test results we have seen in any 7308 E188CC tube.
(not an idle boast)

http://audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
MULLARD
Mullard logo
"When it comes to warmth, no other tube can top this jewel from the British crown. Silky highs, a liquid midrange, and awesome deep bass give this tube its deserved reputation for warmth and full sonics."

Price Each

Quantity in Stock

E188CC / 7308 (premium 6DJ8) Mullard made, 1970s, made in Great Britain, gold pins MATCHED PAIRS .

New Old Stock Philips Box. These are the most difficult to find in the 7308/6922 NOS family. Ultra low noise, matched triode sections, thickly plated gold pins, nice warm sound. Nice Mullard British made 7308 tubes with RTC labels (have the Mullard factory code) are very difficult to find in the USA. Made at the Mitchum, UK factory which made tubes for the British military. SINGLE TUBES, WHEN AVAILABLE, ARE $175.00

$325.00 per pair

In Stock

Brent Jesse is ridiculous at this price. Buy them from Kevin/Upscale at $236/pr. NOS Platinum Cryogenic!

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/mullard-e188cc-7308/

You can see how I use them in reply #82. They absolutely kick the piss out of the Ediswan's in every respect except the lowest bass. The Edi's can do that a little better. But, the little you give up in the bass with the Mull's.....is more than worth it....for the Mull's high's and midrange liquidity.

RUSSIAN TUBES NEED NOT APPLY.  Except, I'm pleased with them as phase inverter tubes and my power output tubes (ONLY).

PS-but make no mistake....the Ediswan's are damn good tubes. You won't find my two pair for sale ever.  They can be put in my casket with my Mullard's (and pair of Telefunken's I use for CSP3 input tube).   Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/12/16 at 16:45:50

Thanks Stone.  The gauntlet has been thrown down.  I'll look for a pair and compare to mother Russia!

Granted, I will be using a Torii, but once in hand, I may storm Eric's house, demand entry and access to his system.  New domestic partner be dammed.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 04/12/16 at 16:51:30

It is all I can ask!  :)  :)

After about 25 to 40 hours on them. If you don't like them....I will buy the pair from you.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 04/12/16 at 16:54:27

I doubt I will want to part with them.  I have never had  bum steer on tubes from anyone on this forum.  

I think I can actually expand that statement and say I have never had a bum steer on any audio purchase from this forum.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #90 - 04/13/16 at 15:27:32

I ordered the Tungsram's. One pair each of Kevin's Platinum Spec'd.

Tungsram pair to Tungsram pair will have its own Signature.

It will be fun to move them around with my Telefunken, Ediswan and Mullard pairs combinations.

I will start them out with Tungsram PCC88 pair from CSP3 outputs to Tungsram 6922 pair inputs of ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #91 - 04/13/16 at 17:36:39

Pal, I think you will enjoy the Mullard's in your inputs/Torii.

Well, despite the fact that I returned the Polk 705's (momentary lapse of reason there and a sore back.....not to be confused with my collector Polk SRS SDA 1.2 freaken' awesome Speaker's, in my Solid State Rig).......my IC's, Speaker Cable's, Digital Cable's, 4 Amp's, 2 Dac's, Accesories and TUBES sell off last year...... . My fund from these fund's has run-ith dry-ith.

The addition of the Tungsram's should keep me busy.

Furthermore, I find it interesting how much influence the phase inverter's have on the sound. I'm now running a pair of my Ediswan's for phase inverter's and Mullard's for input tubes/ZMA. Getting more extended bass, while maintaining the liquidity/midrange and highs of the Mullards. Very nice!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #92 - 04/17/16 at 02:30:24

Tungsram's are here! Putting in tomorrow with a Cup of Joe.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #93 - 04/17/16 at 14:21:24

Running Tungsram pair of 6922 E88CC out of my CSP3 to input pair ZMA Tung's PCC88 7DJ8.....with a fresh mug of Pete's! If first impressions are still anything just an hour in......very nice investment  for the next 7500 to 10,000 hours.

New NOS Platinum

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #94 - 04/18/16 at 16:10:31

With only 16 hours on the Tungsram's pair's.....I think I know where they will be in my rotation:

CSP3 outputs to ZMA inputs.....
#1) Mullard's to Ediswan's
#2) Tungsram's to Tungsram's
#3) Ediswan's to Ediswan's
#4) Mullard's to Mullard's

....and I need to try the Tung's with different pairs.

Constants are: Telefunken for input tube CSP3, 5U4G-C Rectifier, JAN Sylvania 0A3's, 6H23N/P-EB's for phase inverter's and Tung-Sol KT66's.

Important: See previous posts, for exact model number's of tubes.

A little expensive? Yes. But, I wanted new NOS Platinum, with 10% or less tolerance and most of these pairs are Cryo'd too. All pairs are backed up with another pair/stored.

Worth it vs. stock tubes?   YES. Or, I would sell them (with proof of my Receipts/provided). Not selling!

Enjoy, if you decide to do it!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #95 - 04/19/16 at 17:37:52

Recon intel on the Tungsram's was no BS.

These Hungarian mid 70's new NOS Plat's are like Jesus Christmas...my Mully's, Edi's and Tele's, all rolled into ONE!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/19/16 at 19:03:19

I am just going to wait till you get the ultimate of ultimate ultimates before I buy anything to try.  I can't keep up!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #97 - 04/20/16 at 00:34:39

I will tell you, tube rolling 6922 7308 7DJ8 types, is my jam now. Three week's at a time with two pair combinations. Makes the ZMA A KEEPER. No need for a PASS 30.8 or VR LIO.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #98 - 04/20/16 at 03:16:24

CSP3 and ZMA combo....I will say = Keeper's

Plus, adjusting the gain settings is so sweet. For example, I put my Mullard's/CSP3 outputs to Mullard's ZMA inputs in again. With the Mull's, I prefer my ZMA up at 45% gain from 0 (instead of 30% approx.). Conversely, the CSP3 gain down to 25% (instead of a 35 to 50% range from 0).

The E188CC 7308 Mullard's are King. With my gain adjustments, they are so in the pocket with midrange and even more aire....it is rediculous.
Sublime and Sweet Mullard's locked in............ .

My Ediswan and Tungsram pairs will see their rotation time. They have their get out of the way ways. The Mull's though, are top dog.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 04/21/16 at 15:11:50

Got the Mullards.  Listening, listening.....

By the way Stone, you have taken over the roll of enabler extraordinaire from Eric.  Don't open any letters or packages from my wife.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print