Send Topic Print
Ediswan 6922 (Read 26206 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Ediswan 6922
Reply #300 - 01/25/17 at 15:47:50

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/tungsram-pcc88-7d...

I prefer buying the Platinum grade = Platinum grade - The best of the best. Lowest noise and microphony with the tightest triode balance we have available. This is typically 10% or tighter, but may be higher depending on available stock.

.....and YES Match, the Mullard's and Ediswan's Platinum, are worth the money. I only use this Tungsram mentioned here as an inverter tube with my Ediswan's as inputs. The real magic is with the Mullard NOS Platinum's/Cryogenic I have for inputs and the Telefunken's as inverter's. Not even subjective....but objective....how good this combo is in the ZMA.

Each to his own, I am just that discerning. I would not own a Power Plant, Zitron Digital pcord to ZDSD, modified Adagio's and the IC's and Speaker Cables I have either..... . But, they make a BIG difference.

Nothing wrong with the "Pig in a Poke" purchase from Parts Connexion...but Driver grade (= not really suitable as a Pre Tube) is probably what you will get....or maybe roll the dice/get lucky and get.....Gold Grade. I also, don't buy the garbage on Ebay either.
READ: You won't get 7500 to 10000 hours out of unlabeled/untested at how strong? .........NOT.

Kevin/Upscale: Lists the tested number's on his tube boxes/LABELED. Yes, I've had them checked too.

You get what you pay for now that NOS (ESPECIALLY, NEW NOS PLATINUM) tubes are running out (getting more rare every day). For example, on shear instinct....I bought another pair of NEW NOS Platinum Ediswans's.....cause Lar's here knew....they were next on the Dodo Bird List.

Good luck.  8-)

Oh, and these Tungsram's that I only use for inverter's now....sound nothing like Ediswan's and certainly nothing like Mullard E188CC/7308's, as Inputs.
BUT, remember I own the NEW NOS Plat's, right?

I'm only 52....and I can still hear and I take care of myself. Now, I could still get hit by a bus tomorrow... I should make the long haul.  ;D

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #301 - 01/25/17 at 19:58:38

Being redundant.....but I think it helps a lot here.

Furthermore:
+ scarcity increases price (good old supply) + quality (New NOS Plat'=potentially 10,000 hrs. of life) + sought after and desired premium sound/reputation of the Tube (demand) = expensive

++ your ability to hear + your System's ability to reveal differences/resolution, but with musicality....(as Steve so well makes his Amps to reveal/do*****) and then listen to the Tubes you find superior for your ear brain connection.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1483230016/21#21

***** read reply #17
I truly believe, Steve is one of the most humble geniuses, I have ever met.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #302 - 01/25/17 at 23:41:06

there is "one" sentence in that post of Steve's that your link points to, that everyone in this silly hobby of ours should pay the most attention to:

"It takes balls to trust your ears in this psychotic hobby where everything is subjective and placebo driven"

Everyone should trust "their ears" - not anybody else's - just their own.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #303 - 01/26/17 at 00:29:47

Well put.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #304 - 01/26/17 at 05:05:38

I agree.  Once I started to trust what I heard and what I liked the path became clear.  Sometimes I falter but I do better than I did before.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #305 - 01/26/17 at 09:54:59

I have tried to read this whole thread since my new amps uses the 6922 tube. Anyone who dares to list a top three (available for purchase) list? To be used in a Zen UFO 3 amps? Link would be appreciated. If really wanna go in depth we should probably set a cost range though, how about more or less than a 100USD.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #306 - 01/26/17 at 12:42:22

jorgen, if I was you I'd let that new amp of yours burn in before you started to roll tubes.  I went the route of rolling tubes before the amp was burned in and I blew $$$ in attempts to change the sound of an amp that was not ready to change.  Just my 2 cents.

From my experience, that's about 100 hours before you can tell what is what.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #307 - 01/26/17 at 14:22:58

Very good point MS! Wise words.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 01/26/17 at 15:15:14

Hi and thanks a lot for input, I don't have in mind to start tube rolling when it arrives, it's rather the fact that i sleep better at night knowing I have spares. I know they should last a long long time, but also that if I blow one tube it takes a while to order, ship and receive. With that in mind I'm thinking I might as well get proper tubes.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #309 - 01/27/17 at 18:24:23

hearing is an "individual perception"... until you get the amp and listen to it... you won't have any idea which way you may want to tweak it's sound.....

With this in mind...  I would suggest, if you're just looking for "spares" in case you have a tube failure (very unlikely) while your amp is settling in - go cheap with some current production, solid, middle of the road tubes... Gold Lion 6922's from Cryoset, National 7DJ8's from Upscale, etc.
I have a few pairs of the National 7DJ9's - I refer to these as my "everyday tubes" which I use most of the time.  I only plug in the $$$ NOS Amperex's, Siemens, Tungsram's, etc. when I want to have a sit down, late night, out-of-body-experience as the Zenmaster refers to it....  :)

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #310 - 01/29/17 at 23:05:50

National's are hideous for me. My pounding combo are Ediswan and Tungsram inverter's.

Real Music happens with my Mull's and the Tele's.

Individual hearing is bull. If you own a ZMA.....it is honest to show you tube compliments. If you do not own one....that is okay and YM WILL V.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #311 - 01/30/17 at 17:32:41

Quote:
Individual hearing is bull.  ...

Stone, could you elaborate a bit on this?  What are you saying, that with the right amp the sound each of us hear would be more or less the same?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #312 - 02/01/17 at 04:47:42

No, I said that very wrong. Thank goodness for tube rolling, so we can have our preferences with our music and how we hear it.

I guess, my point is, I get very distinctive differences now with running the ZMA direct with my different tube input and inverter choices.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 02/05/17 at 14:54:21

Stone...I picked up a pair of Mull's.  We had a couple friends over for dinner last evening and I let the Mull's burn in a little (mostly to check that the tubes were indeed fine).   I replaced the Edi's with the Mull's and left the Tungsram's as inverters.  

Is the system revealing enough to hear differences in a pair of input tubes?  Absolutely.  The Mull's had noticeably more bass, and were less extended and detailed in the treble vs. the Edi's.  With the Tunsram's as inverters, I prefer the Edi's, but I'm sure the Mull's will open up a bit.  

I have a pair of Telefunken 7DJ8's that I can use as inverters to test something similar to your preferred combo.  That said, those 7DJ8's are likely not the equivalent of your 6922's!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #314 - 02/05/17 at 16:14:04

Dave, I think they will open up with the Tungsram's as inverter's, but do try the Tele's you do have as inverts' too.

I'm out of commission right now with my ZMA. A Benchmark DAC, I had in just for a Preamp, cooked it. I'm sending my ZMA to Steve tomorrow.

To hold me over: I have an Rega Elex R coming.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #315 - 02/06/17 at 19:51:25

My ZMA is on its way to Decware. Cost me a small fortune for Insurance + Shipping. Steve/Decware will have it on Wednesday/expected delivery.

Funny, I have my Dayton APA150 Integrated Amplifier hooked up right now! Fun, actually, how much goodness can come through with this competent piece, with 5k Speaker Cables, 2.5k IC's, Steve's great ZDSD (that rivals 6k front ends for Redbook), my Mod Adagio's and clean power + Shunyata cord to ZDSD........ . Clear testament to my Associated Gear.

Tip: Yes, if you want the most out of your Decware: Better Wires and NOS Tubes DO matter.

You would think the Dayton could not handle all this resolution, low noise floor, image well, decent soundstage too when you put the juice out and still be musical and dynamic. It can, I am pleasantly surprised!  I'm not getting the Rega Elex R. Not needed.

Is the Dayton my ZMA. Pleassse?! I'll be glad to get back my tone and texture with introspection of instruments ~ thank you.  

Current.........

Listening Room

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Dayton APA150 Integrated Amplifier

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to Dayton APA150
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...Dayton APA150 on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #316 - 02/07/17 at 05:04:59

Talk about the music losing its soul. Geez, this Dayton APA150 is painful. No more of that!

I will need to wait until I get my ZMA back.
I am tube testing the 12 Tubes involved in my ZMA crash (caused by hookup to Benchmark). They might still be okay. Wishful thinking.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3