04/20/24 at 04:53:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PS Audio Bridge II (Read 6706 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

PS Audio Bridge II
01/14/16 at 11:30:44

I posted this over on the PS Audio forum, but thought I would post here as well because there are a few PS Audio DAC users on this forum.  Below is my experience with the Bridge II.  Is anyone else using the Bridge?

Installing the bridge was very simple.  I think it took longer for me to get the DS out of the rack than it did to install the Bridge.  The only minor hiccup was that the screw holes on the Bridge didn’t line up with my DAC, but the connection from inserting the card was tight, so I just left it as is (no screws).

I have an Airport Extreme as my main router and I am using an Airport Express as a wireless bridge to the Bridge II.  I haven’t had any issues with network stability or a single dropout of music streaming TIDAL with this setup.

Honestly, it took me longer to setup the Samsung Galaxy S2 than it did to install the Bridge.  I am still getting used to the Android way of things.  For me, an iPad provides a better user experience (no need to get into details of this), but the Galaxy is no slouch, and Bubble UPnp is a nice control app.  The Bubble UPnP app appears to be fast and stable and to date I haven’t had any difficultly with it.  Really, all of this has been quite seamless.  

Without a doubt, this is the best sound quality I have experienced streaming TIDAL in my system.  Transparent and musical with a 3D soundstage.

My earliest attempts with a MacBook via USB were the least acceptable.  For example, highs were grainy and the soundstage was flat.  I would get fatigued listening for extended periods of time.  I was able to get things sounding better by incorporating the Uptone Regen and a Curious USB cable into the setup, but the Bridge sounds better in my system.

Overall, I am very happy with this experience.  It took me about an hour to get it all working and I have access to all the songs on TIDAL in the palm of my hand.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio Bridge II
Reply #1 - 01/14/16 at 14:59:42

I was on the PS Audio beta team for the BII - so I've had mine for about a year now I believe, maybe longer.

I agree it's easy to setup if you're tech savvy enough to get your software setup how you like it. I still have some issues with that (And I'm tech savvy), but that's mostly just preference in how I like to do things. I really like how I have Fubar setup on my host PC (via USB), so it's tough for me to switch.

Sound wise, I felt the Bridge II sounded sharper and more accurate. But I spent a lot of time getting my USB sounding great via good software and adjustments, and I felt it edged out the Bridge II in sound quality after all my efforts. The BII, had I had it sooner, would have saved me a lot of experimentation getting the USB sounding good.  After getting the Regen and short Curious cable, plus a battery power supply, my USB sound is far superior to the BII. Plus I can play my 2X DSD via USB.

I don't have Tidal so I can't comment on that, but I can see how the BII would make it sound better - it's got the digital lens thing going.

As for your USB not sounding as good as the BII - I firmly believe it can sound better, but it takes lots of effort, and it's easy to throw it off with a software setting.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/14/16 at 19:26:20

No Bridge or Bridge II. Or USB. I use my PWT for Redbook via I2S/HDMI, my Denon flagship universal player via coax (though I listen most often to it via the analog outs, this one has a great analog section), and my DVR via glass optical.

Love the sound! Going to have to figure out how to afford PWT Mk 2.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/16 at 03:11:01

LR…I agree with your comments on the sound of the Bridge II.  It has an accurate, clean sound.  Not sure if you associated negatives with sharp in your system.  The Bridge lets through a lot of detail, but it sounds musical to me.  

I don’t know if my network would withstand high res audio streaming and not sure if that is what causes hiccups with the Bridge in your system.  

I may download Minimserver or JRiver for Mac to test streaming of high res files.  I think my main concern would be dropouts due to the wireless bridge I have connected to the Bridge II.  I have a bunch of high res PCM files I can try.  I also have most of the Opus samplers in double rate DSD, but wouldn’t be able to stream to the Bridge, which is a bummer.

Sounds like USB has great potential.  I’m not sure how much higher I could go with my MacBook.  Battery/SSD/Audirvana/Regen/Curious USB Cable, but I will continue to experiment.

I wish my local dealer carried the Aurender or Antipodes line of music servers so i could demo how those sound in my system.  I used to build my own computers, mostly for recording music, but I don’t have time for those projects at the moment.

TIDAL is great for my musical taste.  Access to tons of music and CD quality.  There are only a few things that I haven’t been able to find.  For me, there is less activation energy and monetary commitment to explore new & different music and listen through my main system at the same time.    

Lon…I have the PWT too.  My initial reaction is that the Bridge sounds different, but I haven’t done enough A/B comparisons to make solid conclusions.  I also don’t know if the source files are the same (TIDAL vs. CD), which would complicate the assessment.  The PWT v2 sounds like it would be perfect for you.  If I recall correctly, you have a lot of SACD's and Redbook is supposed to sound even better vs. the PWT v1.  A win/win.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/15/16 at 03:18:46

Yes, I really enjoy the PWT, and it has a special sound imo with the HDMI connection (and I have the top of the line PS Audio HDMI cable which helps as well). I'm not at all interested in computer audio, couldn't be bothered to download or rip, and I don't do audio on the go. I do have several hundred classical SACDs (where the format really shines imo) and probably over a hundred of other genres, so the PWT Mk 2 makes sense for me, and Paul is doing an upgrade as he did with the PWD Mk2-- I have two PWTs so I can send one in and have it upgraded for about half price as I did with one of my PWDs and the DS. Looking forward to that.

We're all different, but I really don't want to have anything to do with a Bridge or computer audio via USB, seems far more bother than benefit, to me.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/16/16 at 13:21:22

Lon…I have and will continue to enjoy my PWT.  I have it hooked up to my DS exactly as you do and with the same HDMI cable.  The sound is fantastic…very detailed with an analog liquidity.  For me, it set the benchmark for digital.  The PWT has a slight warmth that reminds me a bit of analog.  

I never got into buying physical media, ripping it to the computer, storing the physical media, and then playing the music via a computer.  But that’s what most folks were doing/forced to do for computer audio because 1) they already owned large collections of physical media and 2) the new music they wanted wasn’t available in CD quality+ either via download or streaming.  TIDAL changed everything, at least for me.  It’s like having access to the worlds largest CD collection.  

Over the past year I have been building my music collection in the cloud and my goal was to have streaming sound as good as discs played via the PWT.  I have closed the sound quality gap significantly with the Bridge II.    

Unfortunately, many folks had less than desirable experiences with the Bridge I (instability, gapless, etc), but my experience with the Bridge II has been great.  It took me < 1 hour to setup and I haven’t had a single dropout or reset.  Streaming TIDAL now sounds great and it’s simple to control via an Android tablet.

If the industry adopts the Meridian MQA high res compression format (high res files that are about the same size as CD quality) then things are headed in the right direction for the music lover.  Convenience of streaming and amazing sound quality.  

I have no doubt the PWT v2 will sound more detailed than v1.  If the Bridge 2 is any indication, the digital lens has been improved and the PWT v2 will have a similar increase in transparency.  Paul claims the PWT v2 will be better than the Bridge 2 and I would say the same thing if I was him…

Enjoy the music!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 01/16/16 at 14:04:43

I'm glad the Bridge was improved, and an improved digital lens is really something to celebrate and look forward to in a future transport!

Glad that the Bridge 2 closes that gap between the PWT and the Bridge. I still am not at all interested in streaming or computer audio, not at all. I still can find (especially from Japan, and cheaply at that) digital discs I want and I'm increasingly becoming more and more interested in vinyl playback thanks to concentrating on the cabling to my ZP3 and upgrades to my RP3. I have about 1000 LPs and about 20,000 CDs and about 350 SACDs so I have so much to listen to, too much to waste time ripping, and little interest in streaming. It's an embarrassment of riches. I'm definitely going to sell a few things and start a fund towards the PTW Mk 2. Smiley

Enjoy the music! I'm looking forward to a great day of music and Blu-ray, my fiancee is going to meet three of her sisters out of town for a "sister's weekend" and I'll be enjoying my system all weekend, usually I don't listen much on the weakend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print