Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 06:51:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help - how long should I wait? (Read 11035 times)
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Help - how long should I wait?
01/09/16 at 21:22:58

Hi gang, I've had my Torii and ZP3 fired up all morning and we just had a 40 second power outage which gave me time to run over to the surge protector and unplug it so that the tubes wouldn't be slammed with the power coming back on. Whew...Close one! Can any of you please tell me how long I should wait before powering back up?
P.S.: Does anyone know of a product that I can plug into the wall that will not let the power come back on to the strip if the wall power goes out?
--Thanks

Torii Mk IV [beeswax, attenuator]

Klipsch KG4's [Crites' upgrades
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Help - how long should I wait?
Reply #1 - 01/09/16 at 21:30:57

Four minutes and thirty six seconds, exactly. Any more or any less will cause your amp to explode into a fireball and kill any pets within a four hundred and seventy three yard radius.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/16 at 22:20:33

I have abused my Decware gear from time to time, like putting a tube in the wrong position and turning on the power. You can blow a fuse or ruin a tube but you can't hurt this stuff. Steve's products are built to last, old school American built, the proverbial "Sherman Tank"

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/16 at 22:35:15

Ok - 00:04:36 it is! Thanks Wink

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 01/09/16 at 22:58:49

I hate to admit this but I have a OC2 tube with the little center guide plug broken off that sometimes, kinda, falls over. I just tap it back into place without shutting anything down. It thumps and flashes a little but music starts coming out of the right channel again.
No explosions.... yet.
Maybe I should buy a new tube?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/10/16 at 02:11:42

Yeah, put in a new pair. To be safe.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/11/16 at 00:11:58

Donnie- don't be cheap, buy some dam tubes. (and spares)
JimmieJet- don't worry about it, you did right. Furman makes a rack power strip sequencer that I have used on FOH amp rack that will turn the outlets on over a timed sequence. I just unplug everything during major storms and really don't sweat it. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/16 at 12:05:14

Just wondering. If power is lost, for some reason, would that be harder for the amp than turning it off? And why is there a difference? I see there would be some difference depending on volumesetting, but let's say it was turned all the way down.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 01/11/16 at 12:10:56

I don't think that the ''off'' is the problem, but the surge when the AC comes back on and the power switch is in the ''on'' position. I have always had our gear on some sort of surge protection and where I live it has paid for itself a few times over. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/16 at 14:35:02

HdRider: thanks! That is the response of what I was looking for and will be checking out the Furman strip you referenced. I have actually never experienced a power surge as such, but the power going out and coming back on from 1 - 90 seconds later. But worse is when the power flickers on/off a few times in a row (enough to make your microwave clock start blinking). I'm hoping the Furman will do the trick for these situations.

And while I may be new to audiophile/HiFi tube gear, I've been working with tube guitar amps all my live, and yes, I've seen many guitar and bass players abuse their amps, and me too on occasion, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. But one thing is for sure, flicking the power switch on/off in quick succession does shorten the tube's life.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #10 - 01/12/16 at 14:22:55

JJ- The Furman M8S is a pro sound sequencer for AC power, I am not 100% sure that I would want to put it in front of my Amazing Decware gear, there may be better sounding solutions. Of course you can purchase it, listen and if it doesn't degrade your set up keep it. I went with a Tripplite Iso transformer per Steve's suggestion (Hospital Grade) and it works fine. Some on the forum don't abide by them, some do. YMMV. I did have two Monster cable surge protectors destruct one winter years ago when a tree fell on my incoming power lines and pulled the neutral out of the meter box leaving 220V surging through all the house. That was a fun night. All my audio, video and computers were saved and all my surge protectors were smoked (as they should be). If you live in a dodgy area, keep your eyes on the weather reports. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/12/16 at 15:06:25

Thanks HDR - but I'm a little afraid to look at any product that is "hospital grade" 8-0 (I just dropped about 10k in four pieces of Decware gear and a new, custom built turntable). So, let me ask you this: would the Furman make what's coming directly out of the wall any worse? The specs say it does some line filtering and the new Mk II version does even more filtering plus I also get the advantage of delayed sequence start up after a power failure, so I'm thinking it would at least sound the same and perhaps better, as I'm following the logic that some power filtering is better than none...? Anyway let me know your thoughts. --thanks

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 01/12/16 at 16:24:23

JJ- I don't see how it would make anything worse, but then what I have learned through this trek in Decware/Omega land is to trust my ears. I used that sequencer in pro sound, not concerned what impact (if any) it would have on the sound, just knowing that I didn't want a rack of amps powering back up before the FOH came up. I think it would work fine, but your ears and your system must be the final judge. Let us know how it shakes out. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/15/16 at 00:55:36

Quote:
I went with a Tripplite Iso transformer per Steve's suggestion (Hospital Grade) and it works fine. Some on the forum don't abide by them, some do. YMMV.

I just put my Tripplite back in front of my gear.  I took it out when I thought I was hearing a slight added hum from my ZMA.  All this talk of surges and amp damage got me worried though.  Two things I've noticed  however:

1. When I have the Tripplite on and I shut off the panel breaker the Tripplite stays on.  I'm not sure how this protects against surge unless there is something in the unit other than the power switch/ circuit breaker.

2. I can hear noise in my system when I turn on and off switches (on different circuits even) both with and without the Tripplite.  What exactly is it doing if it doesn't filter out this kind of noise?  I thought that was its main function?

Are these isolation transformers good protection from power surges?  I don't hear a sonic lift from having mine in so hopefully it's doing something.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/16/16 at 00:19:56

Jimmyjet.

The hard core audio heads I know with decent power avoid any filtration since it effects the sound...OR, their power is so bad, they come up with the least of the evils. I am in the latter camp but my power treatment ended up being a load of money!

I needed regeneration since my voltage would be higher or lower for long periods. This effected my Decware tube amps, higher voltage giving a thicker, mirkier sound, and lower, a leaner, brighter sound.

I went for years with an Audio Brickwall though which was relatively transparent and protected against surges (but not a sequencing unit). Also added some power line noise grabbers for cleaning high frequency RF and EMFs. But finally the voltage thing just beat me, so my resistance to the big-bucks solutions faltered.

PSAudio regenerators can be set for slow start. Though I don't think this is a common response, my P5 for me was a notable downgrade other than the voltage stability. Veiled and a little unnatural sounding. It took a lot of experimentation and burn in to make it as transparent as I wanted. A really good  homemade power cord and the right feet did a lot toward solving this, and finally voltage and Phase setting adjustments.

Also to get where I wanted, I could not run my DAC through the P5 (even with it fixed up!)...it deadened the DAC too much, requiring a more complex system...some gear through the PSAudio P5 and some through the Brickwall with a Shunyata Defender for an added filter.

But most say their PSAudio gear is great!

You can get good deals on open boxes (I prefer them because most give them up before they are burned in fully, but at least suffered part of the burnin for me!) May be more than you want, but there are a few threads here about them and other power treatment if you want to check it out.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
EdithLeman
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 03/11/16 at 18:34:26

Actually the surge in the AC power supply is for few milli seconds, and you don't have the need to keep off your system for long time.
Also for the surge protection always capacitors are there in the power supply.
But if these capacitors got damaged then nothing can save your system from surge.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print