Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:51:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Brilliant Flash - and then nothing. (Read 3660 times)
honkytonkwillie
Verified Member

A Brilliant Flash - and then nothing.
01/02/16 at 04:24:37

Rachael is my 24x7 amp until Christmas break each year, where she gets pushed aside for a 2-3 week rest to make room for the tree and stuff.

My college age daughter is home for the holidays, and she noticed the pretty tubes and started asking questions.  I told her the tubes looked even more beautiful when the amp is powered up, so I hit the power switch and got a BZZZZZZT! sound with a big white flash from the rectifier.

Uh-oh.

Immediately I realized there were no speakers attached, resulting in the amp seeing zero load.  I seem to remember reading about not doing that...

So I unplugged her, hooked up some speakers, and got nothing.  Then I swapped in a working-when-I-took-it-out rectifier tube, and tried it again, and got nothing.

Time to read the manual (which many consider cheating).  Ah!  It has a fuse!  Two actually, one is just a backup.  Sure enough, her fuse was blown.  Replaced it and she powered up just fine.  Yay!  

Next, I powered her down and swapped in the original rectifier to see if it was toast.  BZZZZZT!

Yup.  That tube's a-goner.  Along with my second fuse.

Live and learn.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: A Brilliant Flash - and then nothing.
Reply #1 - 01/03/16 at 16:39:26

Always have some back up tubes and fuses. Glad your daughter was interested in tubes and open to the magic they can produce.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
honkytonkwillie
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/25/16 at 11:13:36

I'm less than 50 years old and already she's asked to inherit a particular set of speakers when I die.  A real charmer, she is.

IP Logged
honkytonkwillie
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/25/16 at 11:27:03

I set up the amp again with a backup rectifier tube after Christmas break.  Three hours into operation, I peeked at the bias meters and saw the left one was pegged and the right one was right at 41mA where it always is.  

Music didn't sound disturbed or anything, so I shut her down and swapped sides with the EL34 tubes.  Powered up again to see the right meter peg.  Hmmm.  Bad tube I guess.

Fortunately some high-mileage EL34's volunteered to come out of retirement, so I'm back in business.

Questions: 1) The brilliant flash which killed the rectifier, might it also have damaged an output tube?  Only one output tube and not the other?

2)  How long do output tubes last?  This dying EL34 lasted 4099.25 hours.  (I keep meticulous records).

(For a $40 tube, that's just under $0.01/per hour of operation.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/25/16 at 12:23:54

Amigo, I think that tube was aged and vulnerable and the rectifier blow took it down.

That's a lot of hours on a tube! You got your money's worth.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print