Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:36:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk IV arrived last night!!! (Read 4339 times)
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Torii Mk IV arrived last night!!!
12/23/15 at 16:27:56

Ok, just a quick initial impression, and yes, I have to use the usual cliché’s, but I really heard instruments in the mix that I “never” heard before. Some people will say they can hear things “better” when getting new gear, but I’m actually hearing stuff I didn’t know was on the recording. I received 5 pieces of gear from Steve, or should I say Devon (that’s what all the shipping labels say, I beginning to think she’s the master engineer and just keeps Steve around to put a male face on the company... I mean, Steve don’t send me nothing!  ;), and I only had time to set up the Torii Mk IV and plugged in my old 14 bit Phillips CD player thinking I’d let it break in on that while I putzed around the apt and heat up a can of chili… well, as that first musical bar hit, I immediately sat down on the couch and couldn’t move. Even without being broken in yet nor positioning my speakers, it was already a magical transformation and that wide sound stage I witnessed at DecFest in Oct. (It also revealed how shitty some of my CD’s were mastered – all midrange). But the good recordings and mastered correctly for CD, were amazing. (Oh, btw, I ended up forgetting about dinner... too busy demoing different CD's).

Tonight I will set up the ZP3 Phono Stage with the ZMC1 SUT, and my customized ZSTAGE with beeswax caps and stepped attenuator as the pre-amp. So, tonight, the “real” magic will happen when I put on my main listening medium, vinyl!

So glad I went to DecFest to audition all the gear so I was able to pick the amp that sounded best to my ears with the right caps. I actually preferred the standard beeswax to the beeswax type II (I auditioned both at DecFest), and I also chose the stepped attenuator, and KT66’s. Black figured and cream chicken head – got that spooky metropolis look Wink

Thanks again to Chris K and Palomino for convincing me to just follow my gut feeling vs. the other circuitry that was present at DecFest – I am very happy and know I made the right decision  :)

Torii Mk IV [beeswax, attenuator]

Klipsch KG4's [Crites' upgrades
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk IV arrived last night!!!
Reply #1 - 12/23/15 at 17:07:57

Great news and a nice setup! Though amazing now, at 300-350 hours the MKIV will reach a new level, open and loosen up, and the reconstructive feedback circuit will come into its own. By 600-650 another level. And 1000 or so another. Lot's of fun!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/23/15 at 18:57:22

Thanks Will - that leads me to a question about the reconstructive feedback -- playing with the Torii last night, I couldn't tell any difference between having the r.f. off or on. What is supposed to be the better setting? --thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/23/15 at 19:47:21

Jimmy.

With the reconstructive feedback doing little at the moment, I guess I would just turn it on and let the circuit burn in, then check now and then. On is back. For me, it was too diffuse until 300 hours give or take, if I remember correctly, but then started doing very good things in the "on" position here. I wrote a long review of the MKIV in the review section of the forum that has a lot of information based on my explorations to that point if you want to check that out.

All the controls have a meaningful impact, and there are no "true" answers for any of them except the ones you like.

I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong, but if I remember correctly, something like 5 hours on and 5 off for a while is a protocol Steve used to recommend. Look in your manual on that, but I think the theory is to let it fully heat up and fully cool down a lot for 5 days or so to seat caps and move all the wires and parts more into "the flow." I have done this with my amps and it seems to work.

Have fun. I know you will!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JimmyJet
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/15 at 20:02:53

Thank you Will -- you are correct. The manual does say 5 on/5 off. Last night was my first cycle - I kept it pumping for 5 hours then switched it off at bed time. I will do another cycle tonight and so on. I figured it was best to leave the r.f. on, but wanted to make sure. And I will definitely check out your review! BTW, for my Klipsch KG4's @6 ohms and 94dB, the 4 ohm on the Torii sounded best with more body and depth; the 8 ohm position sound thin. So, that was the biggest difference in the amp tweaks that I noticed right out of the box.  Thanks again Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/25/15 at 22:22:19

Yes the burnin thing is real. It is quirky...up and down, great and good at different times....you will notice duller, harder, mirkier, confused/disjointed and so on.... but luckily it will sound really good for the most part during burnin as it gets better and better and better! All will refine with more time...better micro detail, better bass definition, more complexity, more spaciousness and speed...everything better.

I like mine on 4 ohm also for my HR-1s which are rated 4 ohm. But it is sort of a difficult comparison since the 4 ohm setting is so obviously bigger and stronger. Needs some time on 8ohm to really hear it. I remember for a long time preferring the 8 ohm setting on the MKIII with MG944s. Instead of sounding lean, it opened things up nicely...so many variables.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print