Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:02:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time to get a Rack?..... (Read 7320 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Time to get a Rack?.....
12/12/15 at 15:00:09

I've had my System configured on the floor for years. However, it is time I think to get a System Rack. Considering Mapleshade...... .

Any suggestions for an other you might have? Only need three shelves but should get four (or just make sure it is expandable later).

Mapleshade under my Adagio's might be something to experiment with too.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5334

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Time to get a Rack?.....
Reply #1 - 12/12/15 at 15:34:03

Larry, I've often thought about doing something about the hodge podge i've got going on in the Cave.  In the middle of my 11 ft by 11 ft room I've got a coffee table with two stacks of gear on it.  An unused SS Amp and preamp on which sits my Rega RP6 TT, with Herbies isolation under it...some kind of rubber ball and cup arrangement. The second stack is a Jolida 100 CD player  on which rests a Denon CD/SACD player on which rests my CSP3 with Herbies tender feet under it.  On the floor under the coffee table sits my ZP3 on the carpet. On an end table behind the coffee table rests the Torii MK IV with Herbies isocups under it.  Then picture the speakers to the sides and back a ways...pretty much all other available floor space is covered by stacks of Vinyl.  One side of the room is covered floor to ceiling with three book shelves full of CDs.  Every time I think of doing something different, I'm over whelmed with the effort it would require and sigh...and put another record on the platter.

Now in regards to putting the speakers on Mapleshade slabs....I think a much more effective and cheaper solution would be two Sub Dude II isolation platforms ($120 total).  That's what I have under my HR-1s as well as my Deep Hemp Omega Sub.  Did I really type all that?  I've been rather chatty lately.  

I'll watch this thread with interest for cheaper solutions than the very nice mapleshade racks. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 12/12/15 at 16:15:19

I'm sure your hodge podge is just fine and I should leave my hodge podge well enough alone too. It works and well isolated components too, right?

However, a nice Rack is way over due...and a cheaper alternative than Mapleshade - I agree. .....see whom chimes in.  

Thanks for reminding me about Auralex SubDudes! I have one under my Turntable downstairs (girlfriend loves the TT accessible with my big Polk's in SS Rig)...completely forgot for Speakers. Going to go look at them now.... .   Cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/15 at 17:10:41

Stone, I use a couple Salamander Designs racks which are just shelves with all-thread legs and are infinitely adjustable. Much less $ than the Mapkeshade but I do have some maple platforms.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/subcategory/8f0b0591-868f-227b-24b1-51...

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 12/12/15 at 17:11:31

I have my stuff sitting on some big hunks of soft maple that I carved out of a stump.
The Mapleshade stuff looks wimpy next to mine. My Torii is sitting on a 5" thick hunk of maple with solid mahogany legs under it.
I have a 6" thick piece for using under a sub.
If I were to make a shelf system I'd look at the local Lowe's for some maple or pine shelving and some all thread. If you needed thickness I'd just double up the shelves and glue.
I'd drill the holes on size for the all thread so that they fit tight, counter bore the bottom piece of wood so that the nut and washer wouldn't stick out past the bottom and then have another nut and washer on the  top of the bottom shelf to hold everything in place.
Hell, I might get fancy and turn up some sort of feet or spikes to screw on to the bottom instead of nuts.
To dress up between shelves I'd get some plastic tubing and spray bomb them a contrasting color.
I'm thinking that you could get 2 shelves high with common 3' all thread, if you needed more height you could get connecting nuts to connect more all thread.
I'm rambling, but it seems like a pretty good way of doing it on the cheap.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/12/15 at 17:48:33

I know all the popular kids rag on Mapleshade, and they are expensive. But I love mine, built to last decades, and the system they use of 2" or 4" maple shelves, steel threaded rods and brass nuts and feet just WORKS for initial isolation and ventilation and security. On top of that I think they're beautiful in their austere graceful look. I have two and I'll have them forever, even if I'm not using one of them at the moment.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #6 - 12/16/15 at 22:52:19

Stone,

You might want to look at Timber Nation.  They have a lot of options, complete and DIY, that are pretty reasonable.  Personally, I have a couple of maple stands under my SE84 monoblocks, and I am very happy with them.  I got unfinished maple platforms and painted them with a satin lacquer and added some SoundOcity cones for stability.  Very pleased.

Dam

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 12/22/15 at 16:30:28

Thanks for the Input guys. I checked out all your suggestions. All good stuff for sure. I do like the Mapleshade Lon. Can't argue about that.

I'm either getting a Rachel UFO or the new ZTPRE. Then, make a final decision on a rack later next year-to put it all in with class.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/15 at 02:58:00

Stone, I bought some beautiful shelves from this company to replace the MDF shelves on my Solidsteel rack.  Great work and very affordable.

http://www.steveblinndesigns.com/

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 12/23/15 at 14:23:36

Very nice!  Thanks Rob.

Sony TPort