Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
random survery (Read 10877 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

random survery
12/10/15 at 15:05:46

I've got 3 options and would enjoy your advice.  Should I purchase

a)  A couple of Voodoo Renaissance interconnects to finish my cabling upgrade.

b) Buy a real nice set of cans to for headphone listening. I did a lot of listening to headphones growing up and haven't in 25 yrs. I'm currently listening with ERR's and would like another listening option. Not sure about Audeze, Sennheiser or Grado. Any info would be appreciated since they all have nice reviews.

c) Purchase a 2watt SE84UFO2

Hopefully all of these happen someday but financially can only afford one

Thanks

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: random survery
Reply #1 - 12/10/15 at 21:34:31

any opinions?

thanks

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/10/15 at 21:40:46

a) You know I love VooDoo Cable. Of the three options I'd probably suggest this one. That subtle refinement will be added to every listen.

b) By necessity I'm back to listening to headphones part of the time. I was advised to try the Oppo PM-1 and I did and I am very happy with them.

c) If you love your present amp (I know you do) stick with it is my advice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/10/15 at 22:18:48

You may have mentioned it before, but listing what you already have might help with the "add to" recommendations.  :)

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/10/15 at 23:08:03

thanks brother,

Zen Torii III resting on a core audio amp stand
CSP2+
ZP3
Rega P6 with Ortofon Black 2m
Oppo BDP-105 to Panasonic Viera 55 inch and Torii
Magnum Dynalab FM Tube Tuner
ERR Speakers with Zen Styx cords
Cardas Golden Reference power cords on amps
MAC power cords on rest
VooDoo Renaissance connecting CSP2+ to Torrii
VooDoo Evolution connecting tube tuner to CSP2+ which constitutes the maority of my listening which may sound odd but this combo kicks ass and Boston is blessed with some of the best college radio in the land.
Grover Huffman latest interconnect from Oppo to Torii. I listen to 90% vinyl and fm tuner and then an occasional CD.
I've also got 12 diffuser panels and 3 absorption panels set around room.

I do not have one complaint.

Thanks

JD

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #5 - 12/11/15 at 03:56:42

I love my SE84ufo2

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #6 - 12/11/15 at 18:44:13

option a) or b) - don't give up the Torii III.... if you don't have the Jupiter caps in yourTorii III - get them installed...!!!!   Wink  The Torii and the ERR's will have better overall synergy than ERR's and the SE84UFO IMO. Also.... Zenmaster Steve told me that UFO transformers will likely be an upgrade option to us Torii owners in the future.  The Torii is simply an amazing amp sonically(especially for full-range, single driver, crossoverless speakers) and is so flexible.  

Have you ever heard the Grado GS1000 cans?  These are my favorite cans(overall - all things considered, impedance, comfort, cost, value, etc.) over everything I've ever heard - and that's a lot, as RMAF has an entire ballroom dedicated to headphone listening and you can audition just about every headphone in existence there, one right after the other.  
But headphones tend be even more of a "personal taste" component than just about anything else... so do strive to listen to as many as you can, before shelling out a lot of coin.  
There are some very, very good headphones available these days - surprisingly good to me, for not a lot of jack. 
I would encourage you to audition as many as you can to see what you like.  For a long time, before I bought any serious cans, I researched headphones to death.  When I went to RMAF a few years ago and had a chance to audition just a whole pile of cans, I really wasn't that impressed with the more infamous and popular cans, like the Sennheiserv 650's for example.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/11/15 at 20:57:12

Thanks guys,

I didn't mean to mislead. I will never get rid of my Torii III absolutely love it to death!  I would love to hear UFO transformer difference and I have yet to get the Jupiter cap upgrade so those will be added to the equation .  Appreciate the detailed advice on the cans and to you as well Lon. I have a very tolerant neighbor upstairs but I think he would appreciate some quiet time since I play tunes hours a day.
I'm gonna grab a couple more voodoo cables, try out a few pairs of headphones and go from there. The purpose of the SE84UFO would be to simply change things up from time to time and also the start of a second system so I could do more A/B reference tests and such.
Happy Holidays

Justin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/11/15 at 21:39:04

I agree with Darr that unless you have a very small room, the ERRs and the Torii are a better pairing.

Sounds like a good plan!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/11/15 at 22:55:12

JD, on headphones...I own the Sennheiser  HD 800s and Audeze LCD 2 rev. 2.  My favorite by a wide margin are the Audeze cans.  I tend to like a warmer, less bright/detailed presentation. The HD 800's are known for being bright and there is a DIY Mod that is supposed to help which I never did. I don't listen to headphones much anymore though.

When Lon was researching headphones I read about the Oppos he has and it sounded like they were similar to my Audeze sound wise and they definately are lighter in weight and probably more comfortable but to tell you the truth, I have never been bothered by the weight of the LCDs.

On headfi you'll find lots of reviews...here's one guy who reviews 50+ Cans. http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared

On the interconnects...I'm the one who bought three pair of the Voodoo Evolutions from Lon. If I'd been quick enough it would have been four. Wink  Nuff said.

I agree that a pretty high priority should be the Bee's Wax caps.  I can't compare though since everything I have has them...Torii MK IV, Taboo MK III, CSP3, ZP3 and a pair of 2008 Zen Signature Monoblocks with multiple Mods including the Bee's wax caps.  If you know you want the UFOs on your Torii, I guess you could wait and do both at the same time. I'm leaning toward not getting the UFOs...I'm very happy with things as is.

On the Small Zen UFO Amp for a second system...what's taken you so long?

As to the order of each upgrade...that's really up to you.  Mark.

PS...you didn't ask about speakers but both Lon and I have HR-1s in the #1 spot.  I've seen some unbelievable deals on them used...half or less of retail...keep your eyes open.  With a second system, you'll want another pair.  In my second system I have Omega Alincos and Zu Audio Souls side by side and find most of my time is spent with the Souls...in fact I can't remember when I last listened to the Omegas but I do have two pair and they are very good...lots of folks here have them. For the 2 WPC Zens...both the Omegas and Souls perform well.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/12/15 at 00:35:50

How interesting Mark. I am in the market for a second pair of speakers and the Omega Alnico's are at the top of my list. Trying to decide between monitors or floor standers.  I am really pumped I've upgraded all my power cords and most of my interconnects...huge difference. The sound is so good I have to balance my wants and needs...honestly I need nothing...so every step is a positive one.  
Now I just have to be patient and enjoy...yeah right.

Happy Listening

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/12/15 at 01:40:46

Well JD, I can only give my opinion of the speakers I own.  I have never heard any Omega monitors but of my two floor standers, a pair of Omega Alinco 7XRSs that are back ported with a 7 RSA driver that is no longer offered...I assume because they were cannibalizing sales of the much more expensive bottom ported Omega Alincos with the top of the line driver that hasn't changed since it's introduction.  The pair I have were made in Dec. 2011 and probably have a slightly different cabinet than the current version.  Mine are called Omega Alinco Super 6XRS speakers. These used or new are the ones I'd get if you have your heart set on Omegas. My speculation is that these bottom ported floor standers would offer superior bass performance compared to the Monitors.  I paid $1100 used for mine with a custom wood veneer in perfect condition.  Besides saving money another good thing is someone else has done the break in for you.  If you do a search, I talked about them as I listened to them and also posted pictures.  

But I honestly have to tell you, for my 2.3 WPC Zen Signature Monoblocks, I much prefer the 2K retail Zu Audio "Souls".  We all have different preferences and I think very few here own the "Souls", many own Omegas of one type or another.

As an aside if you ever feel the need to sell the 1.5 meter Voodoo Evolution interconnects, I'd pay $250 shipped as you did.  Hope all my info helps,  Mark.

PS...here's a review of the same speakers I have with a bit different wood veneer...of course they also came with magnetically attached grills not seen in the pics.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2010/09/omega-super-6-alnico-xrs-extended-room...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/12/15 at 02:22:53

Those Zu Audio are interesting and would look great in my living room, I also like that they are a 1K less than Omega's, which could help pay for speaker cables.
I just purchased two more sets of Renaissance interconnects from Bruce. He is a great guy to deal with, his demo prices can be negotiable if you are respectful.  I don't think I will sell the pair I bought from Lon but if I do you will be the first to know.

Thanks for your info

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/12/15 at 03:00:09

JD, one caveat of the Souls...they required a much longer and more rigorous break in than other speakers.  Zu now says they break in each driver for 600 hours before they are put into the Cabinets.  They also come with a 60 day trial likely because of this but the extra effort is worth it...Love these speakers. And at 99 dB sensitivity  and 8 ohms they shine when driven with flea powered Zen amps. They often have preowned or demo speakers on their site for much less than retail and they come up for sale used periodically.  Mark.

PS...what did you pay for each pair of the Renaissance interconnects.  If you don't want to make it public...PM me.  Are those a big step up from the Evolutions? I see the Cable Co. prices them $300 more than the Evolutions.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/30/15 at 16:46:12

Ok so of course I handled this with patience...yeah right. I'm completely using VooDoo interconnects now. 3 pair of the Renaissance and one pair of the Evolution.  Absolutely huge upgrade in all areas of sound. Details imaging, transparency and completely quiet, they are still breaking in and I am really glad I made the leap although it wasn't cheap.
I also bought 2 pair of headphones: Sennheiser hd-650 that I upgraded with a 10ft. Cardas cable that I have used for watching movies.  I'm thinking I'll be wearing them during the Twilight Zone marathon on tomorrow. They are good for music but great for movies. I wasn't that impressed using them for listening to music so I just purchased  a pair of BeyerDynamic Tesla version 1 that arrived this morning and they have really impressed me.  They had less than 25 hrs on them and were almost 2/3 off original price. Wow, it's like your own personal listening room. I now understand why some people swear by headphones.  They are extremely comfortable and the sound is tremendous. I decided to go with the headphones instead of a pair of monitors because I spent 1100 less and have multiplied my listening options. They are magical through the CSP2+.  I'm on vacation this week so I've been putting as many hours on my gear as possible.
Now to relax and just listen...and stop spending money.

Happy Listening

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 12/30/15 at 18:14:21

JD, really glad you have some time off to enjoy your audio and video components. Like you I have been just floored by the VooDoo Cable interconnects I have and have my whole system outfitted with two different types of Stradivarius now (the original, and the Cremona edition).Ended my cable search!

Those headphones sound like a nice match for each application.

Happy new year and keep on enjoying the music.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/31/15 at 14:12:40

Thanks Lon,

Enjoy the New Year.

Jd

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print