04/23/24 at 11:02:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2m blk? (Read 18000 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

2m blk?
12/08/15 at 03:15:58

think there are a couple of you guys running 2m blk's with your zp3.... what do you think?
thinking of upgrading from a blue to a black.  is the blk a good match for the zp3? i like my blue a bunch and don't want to "upgrade" for the sake of upgrading... then not be thrilled with it.
lpgear has them for $629 which is about as low as i've seen them.
thks

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: 2m blk?
Reply #1 - 12/08/15 at 13:27:58

Love mine on my rega p6, i had to use a 2mm spacer for it to work. The sound is pristine. I've never heard the blue but love the 2m black.

JD

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/08/15 at 16:00:53

Tripwr,

I considered the 2M Black too.  (I was using an Ortofon Concord with an OM 40 stylus which some even consider superior to the Black.)  Instead I went with a MC cart.  I decided on the Ortofon Kontrapunkt b which has now been replaced by the Cadenza Blue.  The Kbs are still available at good prices.

I have a ZMC1 on order but I have been using my Kb through my ZP3, CSPS and ZMA with the gain turned way up.  Although the normally slight ZP3 hum has been greatly enhanced, the sound is still head and shoulders above the MM cart.  (The hum should go back to "normal" with the ZMC1.)  The resolution and detail are unbelievable.  I will never go back.  I am starting to hear what Steve's amps are capable of.

If you're interested in more information just let me know.  It's a lot of money to jump to the MC but still a relatively small price compared to the rest of the system, not to mention the vinyl itself.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/08/15 at 19:28:21

Archie,

You've got to stop tempting me to take the mc/sut transformer route, hahaha! To me that will be a 1700 hundred dollar jump...I've always told myself i'd get a mc dynavector cart ($1,000) + sut 700$ or so if and when I did.

That is ton of vinyl I could buy.

JD

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 23:14:06

JD,

The great thing is that your current vinyl will sound so good that you wont need to buy more.

Ha ha ha ha ha ...  That's a lie.  You'll want to buy a lot more!   Cheesy

Still, I was thinking about upgrading my digital front end but I realized that vinyl is 99% of what I listen to so I decided to make that my priority.  From what I could gather, I'd kind of hit the wall with MM carts.  Next year I can see getting one of Steve's ZDC-240s though.  Good thing my daughter is done with college!    :P

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/08/15 at 23:15:32

jd thks for confirmation of 2m blk, rb303, zp3 combo.

archie what arm you have that kb on?

yeah, i've heard a bunch of great mc setups but something about the mm simplicity and sound i like... i am sure i'll make the jump soon however.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/08/15 at 23:56:00

Tripwr,

My TT is a KAB modified Technics.  Don't laugh, when Kevin gets done with one it's a different beast.  Mine has everything he offers.  I did the math and with the stock tonearm (rewired) it's about 9.5 Hz with the Kb.  So far I haven't found anything it wont track.  The fluid damped tonearm might also contribute to that.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/09/15 at 12:13:55

i believe that.  my buddy had a tricked out 1200 that toneaudio did a review on and it was pretty cool and sounded great too.  lot of potential in those tables.  

thk for input guys.

for now i am going 2m black, the price is right.  next move will be MC land...

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/09/15 at 16:35:43

I really love the simplicity of the direct drive of the Technics.  I can clean LPs on the platter and I never worry about disc speed.  Since I change LPs so much, it's nice not to have to finesse anything or be overly delicate.  The built in dust cover is great too.  My understanding is that Technics put a million dollars into R&D at a time when that was real money.  The out-board power supply and strobe cancellation gets rid of RF interference and the fluid dampening takes care of a lot of micro interference not to mention the occasional record warp.  The spin on clamp is an added bonus.  All in all I highly recommend these TTs.  But since I don't have anything else, I can't A/B.  However, for me the subtle differences between quality TTs probably wouldn't be a factor.

BTW, I had a VPI Scout on order back in 2007 when I ran into Kevin at KAB on line.  After I talked to him I never looked back.  He's very convincing -- like Steve D.   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pineman
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/10/15 at 05:47:43

My 2m Black came with my VPI Classic when I bought it used about a year ago. Through the ZP3 it produces amazing detail which is never fatiguing. I find myself listening to vinyl much more than digital. I am very happy with this setup. Good luck!

VPI Classic w/ Ortofon 2M Black, ZP3; PS Audio DSD & PST; ZMA, Zenstyx; Bösendorfer VC-7
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 12/10/15 at 14:15:01

Isn't the ZP3 just an astonishingly good preamp? Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/11/15 at 12:11:03

lon, yes it is!  i like it more everyday.  can't say that about most of my gear.  i've had mine since april and it literally sounds better everytime i turn it on.  crazy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 12/11/15 at 12:16:18

Yes, it's crazy good. I have had mine for years now and I still find it improving (as I find how to improve implementing it in the system, tube roll, etc.) It's here to stay!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/15 at 01:35:12

been running in the 2m blk for couple weeks now.  it is definitely a step up from the blue in terms of detail and a bit more bottom end.  i like it.

in the meantime i picked up a paradox pulse 3 (saw a deal on them on usaudiomart).  its a repotted dl-103.
what ZMC is recommended with a denon DL-103?  ZMC3?

its .38mV and 40ohm.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/23/15 at 16:21:07

I'm not sure that you will need a SUT at all with .38mV.  Until my ZMC1 arrives I've been using my .048mV cart with just my ZP3, CSP3 into my ZMA.  I can go well into clipping.  However, I have everything turned way up and the slight amplifier hums get pretty bad.  In my case the SUT will be needed.  My MM cart put out .4mV and was more than fine.

I'd say to give it a try before buying any more equipment.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 12/24/15 at 21:20:50

archie,
really?  wow, wouldn't think that'd work.  i've been running 2m blue and black at 5.5 and 5.0mV respectively.  both work very well with zp3.
i'll try it however.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/25/15 at 11:40:17

I think Archie maybe in uncharted headroom territory trip  [smiley=10.gif].
His ZMC will be ....well, a surprise I'm sure.
Merry Xmas from bonny Scotland to all !

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/25/15 at 12:50:20

Scotland?   Syd, All this time I was thinking you were in England.  One side of my family was Scotch-Irish.  My Mother's grandfather was one of 4 brothers who came over to America from Ireland.

I'm beginning my day by watching the film "A Christmas Story" that runs nonstop on two channels here in the United States.  Merry Christmas, Syd.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 12/25/15 at 13:06:58

Part Scotch-Irish here as well, with a Gaelic first name and a Scotch last name, although I'm about 3/4 German. Merry Christmas all!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print