03/28/24 at 17:42:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ERRx for loft space? (Read 6456 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

ERRx for loft space?
12/02/15 at 21:40:34

Hello everyone. New to Decware and this forum.

I am dissatisfied with my current speakers – Vandersteens – in my current space. In other contexts, they are excellent, but positioning is somewhat critical, and the listener must be seated.

The current space is a bit of a challenge. It is a double-height loft space  – a 40x30 room with about half of it reaching up to 20-25 feet. However, the actual listening area is a subset of that with the speakers about 2 feet from a wall, 7 feet apart, and the sofa / listening position is about 10 feet from the speakers.

Additionally, I don’t have gobs of time to sit in a perfect position for listening. The great percentage of my listening I’m standing and moving about the space doing other things, or seated off-axis. It is primarily passive listening, but I still want the full spectrum of sound, and have it be tonally balanced. I was literally only hours from purchasing some speakers that I believed would be an somewhat of an improvement, when I happened to run across a post on the ERRx radial speakers from Decware. I read as much as I could find on them and based upon those readings, these appear to be the best solution for my listening room and listening habits.

I was planning to run this by Deckert, but figured I would get forum thoughts first.

Ps. besides two-channel audio, these speakers would also be used for two-channel HT/Television viewing

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ERRx for loft space?
Reply #1 - 12/02/15 at 23:45:38

Freefall --

Your space sounds a bit like mine.  I ended up going with HR-1s and have no regrets.  They sound great anywhere in the room -- even out of it and they fill the room with sound.  I am driving them with a CSP3 into a ZMA so I have plenty of power.  I would have gone with Monoliths but Steve thought I might get boom effects since I need to have them close to a wall.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/03/15 at 23:27:50

Tommy, I have my ERRx in the living room, but sitting just above, in the loft, they sound great. My loft is small and the ERRx don't sound as good in the smaller area but when I get them out in the open area they work their magic. I currently have a 1 watt MicroZOTL 2 powering the ERRx and its unbelievably good, best I've heard them sound. I have a terrible room, glass on one side, open foyer on the other and these speakers are the only ones that work in this space. They are keepers.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/27/15 at 20:19:03

Archie & ILance, thanks for your comments.

The HR-1s are impressive, but the ERRx both fits within the budget constraints and seems to offer the desired performance.

I'll check with Deckert to see if he wants to talk me into something else.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS