Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 07:13:50 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help deciding which 6922/6DJ8/7308/PCC88 (Read 55213 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Help deciding which 6922/6DJ8/7308/PCC88
Reply #50 - 11/27/15 at 20:02:21

You know Will, I think my Amperex orange globe 6922 should improve a lot with break in, it was just that I had bought three pair of the White labels...mixed USA and Holland made...about the same time and the difference was so startling that I didn't want to be bothered with the break in.  It would be very surprising if just one change in manufacturing (code VL8 to VL9) could have such a dramatic change for the worse.  An orange globe just sold yesterday that was manufactured in October 1966...this is the oldest orange globe 6922 I've seen.  It had the VL9 Tube and change code.

Will, I've never used the 6922 tube in the Torii...just the CSP3 and Zen Signature Monoblocks.  Does the break in of tubes only depend on the Amp being on?  The volume used doesn't effect break in does it?  I'm thinking low level listening for a few days may work.  Just thinking out loud.  These days I'm very intolerant of having to break in things. Have you found any good black Friday deals?  I just bought a few things at pop market that I'll post in the what's spinning thread. Mark.

PS...OK, I popped the Orange globes into the Monoblocks.  They have exactly 24 hours of play to prove themselves. It should take several days.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 11/27/15 at 22:06:34

Mark. Right, you are using 7308s, but I am pretty sure that is a 6922 with tighter tolerances and testing...a high quality 6922. If you compare the construction to your 7308 with a 6922 from NY Amperex, and the same period, I think they will look alike. On the other hand, the tighter tolerances will likely give a quieter more refined tube.

For breaking in, I think a tube needs to be flexed/worked with music and I try to vary the music, from soft/mellow to more complicated, to stuff with fast transients...changing out a repeating CD several times a day. I vary the volume too, loading the amp differently though am not sure how important this is for an input compared to a power tube say...not to say it is not, just that I don't know.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 11/27/15 at 22:33:58

Will, I know and agree with all you've said about the 7308s vs 6922s.  I was just pointing out that I hadn't initially tried the orange globes in the Torii but rather the Monoblocks. Maybe after break in, I might put them in the Torii for a short trial just for comparison.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/27/15 at 23:12:02

Cool. I look forward to your results!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 11/27/15 at 23:16:02

Will,  I hate to admit it but this Live Bill Evans I'm listening to with the Orange Globes after a little over 3 hours in the monos...is sounding pretty good.  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/28/15 at 01:16:42

Great news!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 11/28/15 at 03:38:06

That is good news! My green globes are 68 as well, do maybe they will sound good too! 😀

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #57 - 11/30/15 at 22:06:32

I have tried several different 6922 variants in my Jupiter capped Torii MK.3.  I find the Amperex 7308's to be the best I've tried to my ears.  
7308's are supposedly top of the line 6922's or so I've read.  The pecking order for quality/build tolerance/etc. on these types of tubes is supposedly, 6DJ8 lowest, 6922 and then the 7308.  Don't forget the E88CC, ECC88 and 5692 versions of the 6922 family..... some very nice tubes out there in these variations for not a lot of coin.
I have found that I can make my Torii sound about anyway I want it to, by balancing the output tubes with the input tubes.  The Genalex Gold Lion KT-66's are sleepers IMO.  You can run the National 7DJ8's(cheap) on the input and the GL 66's on the outputs and get a superb overall sonic balance... at least to my ears, my room... blah, blah, blah...

I have talked to some people "in the know" that claim the new Genalex GL 6922/E88CC's are pretty darn good too.  A very balanced tube.  I haven't had the opportunity to try any of these yet.

all the Genalex GL tubes are made in Russia.  Our Zenmaster Steve told me that the Russian tubes are the best made.  I saw several Genalex GL tubes in components sitting around the shop this year at Zenfest.  If Steve likes them - they can't be bad.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 11/30/15 at 22:46:22

I checked out the Amperex.  They are a little pricey for me.  Around $70-$90 per tube on eBay.  I'm not saying I won't try them, but what's available for less that would bring me closer to the 7308 sound?

The Genelex seem pretty reasonable.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #59 - 11/30/15 at 23:04:24

Uncle Kevy will never steer you wrong....

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/siemens-7308/

I don't have any of these, but I'm thinking I need to get some before these go up too.  And save my Amperex 7308's.  

7DJ8's are completely compatible in your Torii also... been running them off and on for a couple of years... an "everyday" tube if you will - save the high-dollar tubes for special occasions.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 12/01/15 at 00:07:12

I could not stand the Gold Lions in the Torri.  Harsh and pronounced sibilance.  Really disappointing. The National's from Upscale are really good for the money.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/02/15 at 22:23:04

Well Orange, I had the 1968 Amperex Orange Globe 6922s in the Zen Signature Monoblocks for about 20 hours of listening and can say my inital impression was of new tubes without break in.  After 20+ hours of play they have turned out to be very very nice tubes.  It's been a long time since I used My Amperex White label 6922s...I've had the 7308s and three pair of 6DJ8s in the Monos since then...so I  can't say for sure that the whites are better but that is still my impression.  The difference is not so stark as I first described.  I think your 1968 Green 6922 are exactly like these orange.  I'm not entirely sure but it seems the military spec tubes had green print and the consumer tubes had orange print in the late 60's but were likely made on the same line...just a different printed label. When I do put the White 6922s back in the monos, I'll report my comparison.

Have you gotten your tubes yet...any initial impressions?  If yours are true NOS like mine, don't be discouraged by your first impression...the sound will improve greatly with break in.  Mark.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/03/15 at 03:49:24

That's great news Mark!  They were just sent today, he got behind on his shipping with the holiday.  It will still be awhile as I am in Canada. Thanks for trying them again, it gives me hope.  As long as they better the National's, I will be happy with the purchase, and as Will said, give me an idea of the amperex sound.  I am now curious of the made in Holland versions.  Some say a sweeter midrange but a bit less drive.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/04/15 at 11:29:56

I am buying three more Amperex 7308s...see below link.  These appear to be lightly used if at all...the print is impeccable, the date codes clearly visible and the same 1962 date.  They are said to test NOS by the seller.  I have asked for the test results before paying.  I'll burn these in with the Zen signature Monoblocks but if they are well matched they will be for use in the Torii MK IV.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-AMPEREX-7308-PQ-GOLD-PIN-TUBES-TEST-NEW-J214-/35159610...

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 12/04/15 at 16:20:52

Wow those are pretty. Big halo 1962!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 12/04/15 at 17:13:01

I'm so enamored with my Ediswan's, in my ZMA Inputs.
The majesty....the slam through the transmission lines of my Adagio's, while maintaining the fluid textured midrange and high's is impeccable!

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ediswan-cv2492-6922/

However, I'm getting a pair of these too.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin/

....do read Kevin's note about: "A note regarding logo's on the Amperex 7308: ...........including PQ"....whatever floats your boat.... .   Grin

.........been meaning to try them (hear if the Amperex sound can enamor me).

Awesome deal Mark. You're a trusting soul for pig's in a poke.  ....they do look freakin' brand new.... .  I bet you scored big time!

NEW ZTPRE ~ Pending!
~RED FACEPLATE~to go with my Red Mallory CAPS/ZMA and contrast to walnut CSP3 and ZMA bases!~

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research ZiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -.5db or -1.0 Input volume Level}

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~Russian 6N1P-EV's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & 9 of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 0 to 40%

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P-EV's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 50% to 70% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 12/04/15 at 17:54:35

The seller of those Amperex 7308s I bought sent a message that on his Eico Tester all three tested 100%.  I have sent him a message to clarify what tester he used and if each plate is measured at 100%.  He sells a lot of tubes so I would hope he has the Ecio model tester that measures dynamic transductance and not the Ecio that is only an emissions tester.  This type of tube has very tight specs so even if they are 100% of NOS per emissions, they should have plates that measure very close to each other.  Yes, I agree a small risk but $41 per tube for 1962 tubes versus $95 each or more for a late 60's version...I'll take the risk.  Mark.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #67 - 12/04/15 at 18:04:26

Heck yeah Mark. I'm just jealous. Great buy, great buy!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 12/04/15 at 19:36:43

Stone, In regards to Uncle Kevin's note on 7308 tube labels...I agree with a caveat.  I've said before that the one orange globe 7308 I have sounds the same to me as my white labels. Also the white labels sound the same whether Military or PQ labeled...all of them made on the same line in NY. Inspecting Green, orange and white labels from the 60's online, I have found that they all have the same change code...VR5, so the manufacturing process and materials are likely the same with the print color, style and dates being the main difference.  However, by the early 70's...maybe the late 60's the change code changed to VR6....which indicates some change in the manufacturing process.  So those USA made 7308s with the etched VR6 code may sound different than the VR5 tubes...I have never listened to anything except VR5 coded tubes dating from the early to late 60's....no 70's 7308s.  Hope this clears things up a little.  Mark.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 12/05/15 at 00:50:37

I've been following this thread with great interest.  Been using the Nationals from Upscale for a year now and they are nice.  I like them for the $$.  Last month I ordered a pair of Amperex 7308's from Upscale.  Green labels.  It really put a grin on my face hearing them for the first time.  Very nice bass control.  Mids are alive.  Treble is a bit much lately.  I must have about 80 hrs on them now.  Hoping it's a break in thing and will settle down.   For now I'm just glad for the treble cutters on my Torii MKIII.  :)

Today a pair of Ediswan's arrived, again from Upscale. (I know they are spendy but I as a tube noob I trust Upscale Audio and their testing.  I always know the tubes I get from them are going to be fine).   Anyways, I've had the Ediswan's on for 2hrs now.  Stone is right about these.  I'Ve always been curious about British tubes and figured I'd spend on nice input tubes.  I may just leave them in.  I really like them.  I was listening to Johnny Rivers - Realization LP and on the song "Something Strange" there is a wood block being used and for the first time it just seems to jump out. It sounds so real. im hearing great body if the instuments in music i've played so far.  The Michael Hedges AF sacd arrived today.  I'm in awe.  

It's going to be fun playing my favorite tunes tonight!

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 12/05/15 at 15:26:18

That's very interesting Greg.  They were on my initial list mostly because of Stone.  However the consensus from my earlier research indicated that anything from Amperex would better them.  But your comments made me look again and I did find one interesting comparison from AudioKarma. Please keep me posted if you do further comparisons.  I am Looking for a bit of lush, sweet, holographic midrange.  Here is the comment from Mike on AudioKarma:

6922 / 6SN7

Mr. Edison in the USA and Mr. Swan in the UK were two guys who both claimed primacy on the invention of the incandescent light bulb. Rather than duke it out in court in the UK, they merged their British companies (thus EdiSwan). Edison discovered the "Edison effect", but not the electronic tube itself, Fleming discovered the diode, deForest (bless his heart) the triode.

The Ediswan is a well-regarded British-made tube, some varying opinions on some 6922/ECC88's:

Siemens 6922/ECC88 A-frame getter: Lovely, full, detailed, not harsh at the top, but make sure you get the real thing.

Siemens 6DJ8 D-frame getter: Even nicer that the A-frame, a bit more lush and euphonic. Again, make sure you get the real thing - the 60's and earlier Siemens are incredibly hard to find, most dealers are selling the 70's and 80's stuff, often east German sourced.

Ediswan CV5358: Wonderful tube. Warm and detailed, tight bass, euphonic yet detailed, very 3-dimensional. Better than the more common CV2493, which is good, but not in this league.

Amperex 6922 PQ 'shield' logo: Preferably the white printing - less detail by a slight bit, but very 3-dimensional and lush. Great bloom. The 7308 PQ is also great, some feel it's even better.

Siemens CCa: Right up there with the other great ones. Very 3-dimensional, not euphonic but full sounding - really nice.

Mullard E88CC 10M series: Just like the Ediswan CV5358, perhaps a bit warmer bass.

... and the 6SN7...

Sylvania 6SN7GT: The best all-around 6SN7 (one that does everything well) is the JAN-CHS 1952 . IMHO this may be the greatest 6SN7 ever made. It has the midrange and treble attributes of the famous '40's Sylvania VT231 but with the bass response of a KenRad.

RCA VT-231: A bit syrupy. It certainly doesn't have the openess and detail of, say the Sylvania VT-231. But it's TONALITY is just, well...right. The sound of musical instruments - their tonality - is simply the correct one. Very musical.

Sylvania VT-231: Bright and lacking in the boom-bam department.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 12/05/15 at 15:44:06

Also I read that "most Brimar ECC88 CV5358 tubes on Ebay are NOT Brimar/Thorn-AEI English - majority of these are Relabeled Tesla or Matshushita or even worse cheap Russian tubes."  So that could be why there mixed reviews on them.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 12/10/15 at 21:05:50

Well folks, the three 1962 Amperex White PQ 7308s I bought on ebay arrived in the mail.  They have replaced the Orange Globe Amperex 6922s in the monoblocks.  Unfortunately I have no time to listen today...maybe I can get some time in tomorrow.

They look brand new and will likely require 20+ hours of burn in. Orangecrush, I'll let you know how they compare to the 1968 Amperex 6922s which have been very good once they had some hours on them. Mark.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 12/11/15 at 05:19:25

Can't wait to hear the results. I am still waiting for my tubes to arrive.  :(

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 12/12/15 at 02:33:02

Orange,  I've only got 1.5 hours on the NOS pair of 1962 Amperex White Label PQ 7308s.  Played a Bill Evans at the Vanguard 1980 CD and now Joni Mitchell's "Blue".  Superb...clarity and detail without bite...if that makes sense, beautiful.  I'm sure they'll improve even more with some hours.  I definitely like them more than the 1968 Orange Globe 6922s.  From what I remember there wasn't as notable a difference between the Amperex white label 6922s and the 7308s. But my audio memory is horrible.  Mark.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 12/15/15 at 01:12:49

Hi Mark, I got the 1968 Jan 6922's in right now.  Right out of the box they smoked the National's in every way. The Zu Superflys throw a huge soundstage, but now much more holographic or 3D.  The most I have ever heard on my system. Some vocals come out right in front of me.  Startled me at first.  Also the increased clarity is immediately evident.  Breaths in vocals are more pronounced.  So far the treble seems very smooth, but on my high resolution version of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, there is still some slight edgeness on his vocals in the title track when he really wails. Hopefully that will take down with some burn in.  Looking forward to put some hours on these.  Hearing these really make me now want to get some early 7308's.  

The tubes themselves are are definitely nos.  Perfect labels and gold pins.  I am very happy with the purchase, but now am tempted to go further into the rabbit hole!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 12/15/15 at 01:31:41

Good Orange.  Just remember it's a marathon...not a sprint but I'm sometimes the same way. Now that you've got some nice tubes you can be patient and get a deal on some high testing Amperex White Label 7308s... I'd try to pay $45 each or less.  The edginess may lessen with burn in but a lot depends on other factors...the recording, other tubes and cabling.  Also I'm not sure how much your Superfly emphasizes the high end...my HR-1s and Omegas do.  So with the HR-1s I added some resistors and with the Omegas I use 60's or 50's Amperex 6DJ8s to tone down the high end.  Everything works together.  Have Fun,  Mark.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 12/15/15 at 01:32:00

There is more body and texture to vocals.  Very nice.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 12/15/15 at 01:34:20

Thanks Mark. Ignorance is bliss. These are keepers for sure.  But like you said, I am in no hurry now.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 12/18/15 at 10:42:52

I'm looking at ebay this morning and ran across a seller in Spain who has listed a pair of real USA Amperex 7308s as well as a fake pair that is obviously Russian...he has said they are Russian made but another seller may not be so honest.  This would be a good exercise to practice spotting fakes.   I do not recommend buying from this seller. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-7308-TUBE-AMPEREX-USA-1960-S-PRODUCTION-NOS-NIB-GOLD...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-7308-TUBE-AMPEREX-BRAND-RUSSIAN-PRODUCTION-NOS-NIB-/...

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 12/18/15 at 12:25:02

Nice job posting this Mark.  It is sometime tough to see the internal workings/soldering etc. in some listings. I have also noticed that the labeling on fakes can be recognizable if you compare with the known real thing, typeface is not the same for all letters or even the location on the tube...although this isn't always true. It's tough especially when you think you see a great deal. I find that once I know a seller is legit and has a lot of sales at a 100% rating I stick with him.

Thanks

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print